2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-19-2015, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

Happylab, I think the monthly BOM counts for a one-time fall. Well, it's more like a deliberate exit but you can always crawl (or jump) back on.

Now Rhonda Lee, I think I need to have a serious word with you, missy! Just because you fell off, doesn't mean you have to stay off. You can come right back on. Why do you want to buy something that will take you 9 years to make? Why spend the money when you really don't get the value in return. (I have a McKenna Ryan box sitting in my cabinet and it will be WAY longer than 9 years- if ever - to complete. Lots of money thrown out the window with that one kit.) Stay strong! If it is meant to happen, it may be on sale again when you have time to devote to it.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:22 AM

Hit a bump, fell off the wagon into a raven. Going out of business quilt store. I was so so naughty!! Went in for needles and 1 yard of christmas fabric as I don't buy Christmas Fabric normally(honest). Walked out with 20 yards. Just terribly naughty. My shamefaced self will quietly sit at the back of cart. [ATTACH=CONFIG]514220[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 082.jpg  
Old 03-20-2015, 09:45 AM

Erin: Your choices will blend with other fabric you have in your stash. Bet some of those choices really make your stash options multiply. Know you fell off the wagon but just climb right back on. Sales and good deals are my downfall too. I am not the least bit tempted by $10 a yard fabric but let them send me notification of a sale and I'm in trouble.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

Elly, what a nice thing you did helping the store owner get thru a difficult time! That's my story & I'm sticking to it.
Birthday month failures continue: LQS BD coupon for free FQ + percent off entire purchase, but I only bought 2 yards! At least we are having house guests this weekend so I'm being saved from all the National Quilt Days super sales everywhere.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:49 AM

You guys make me feel a little better. This purchase is a bittersweet thing. The only LQS. Next quilt store will be over an hour away. Honestly when we moved here it's one of the first places my husband took me to. Yes, he's an enabler bless his heart Hate to see it go. There is a JA and I enjoy that and the employees there. But it's just not the same. The owner passed away suddenly several years ago and her daughter ran it since so I'm sure they feel it's just time.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

I agree with Emma. Those are mostly blenders/neutrals, so you are not getting whipped with the wet noodle today, Erin. lol

AND you did get that yard of Christmas fabric. Looks like you might have some nice big pieces in there for backing and that doesn't count against you anyway. Now get back on that wagon!

I was just telling my friends at work that we are taking this moratorium more serious this year.

That said - we are going to visit friends next Saturday and there is a FABULOUS LQS close by. I might want to stop in and I might be tempted to pick up something on the "souvenir" clause (5 hour drive counts as "out of town" in my book).
Old 03-20-2015, 02:23 PM

OK you all, I'm climbing back on this ole wagon and if any of you need a helping hand to climb on with me here's mine.
Madquilter: just a note, I deleted the Crafty email along with the 9 year project. You are right. Why would I want something so complicated? After all, there's always Bonnie Hunter Mysteries, which I didn't do this year because I've been doing my own leader ender quilt. Been working on it since the first of the year. Sigh..so many quilts wanting to be made. I think I'd better reconsider all 9 year projects.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:41 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee View Post
OK you all, I'm climbing back on this ole wagon and if any of you need a helping hand to climb on with me here's mine.
Madquilter: just a note, I deleted the Crafty email along with the 9 year project. You are right. Why would I want something so complicated? After all, there's always Bonnie Hunter Mysteries, which I didn't do this year because I've been doing my own leader ender quilt. Been working on it since the first of the year. Sigh..so many quilts wanting to be made. I think I'd better reconsider all 9 year projects.
I also have a 9 year project, or at least the pattern for Judy Niemeyer's Amazon Star. Not the kit, it's way too much money. So when temptation gets to be just too much, I tell myself I am allowed to buy one of the twenty-something fabrics for the quilt. Did find some in my stash, but just don't have enough really dark batiks for the colorway I chose. It will probably take 9 years to buy the fabric.

And those sales--they appear in my in-box every day. I read an interesting book outlining the idea that we are all trained to react to % off sales. We don't even look at the price we are paying, just the % off. And retailers can't sell much at original price, so they do continual markdowns. So now I can say, "I don't need this right now, and it will be on sale again next month"
Old 03-20-2015, 06:04 PM

Count me in! Looking forward to a new challenge in this quilting addiction!
Old 03-21-2015, 06:15 AM

Ok, here is the deal.

I'm in the 2015 BOM and I'm using my stash for that plus a "mis-purchase" that was to go for my Beginning Machine Piecing Class. But I don't think I'll have enough for all of the BOMs. If I end up needing more it's ok to buy to finish a top. This is going to be a large footstool cover.

Then there is the Beginning Machine Piecing Class quilt top. I bought straight off of the class list so I figure I'm good there. I didn't have any fabric large enough in my stash.

The Stained Glass Butterfly top got an extra piece of fabric to top the quilt with a fan light design. I'm loving that one. I'll have to take a picture of it to show.

Now comes the latest project. I've joined a quilt club that is working out of Art Quilt Workbook The work will include making 8 9"X 12" quilts. I don't have the material for these but I'm planning on using the main color and many color scheme for the series so I'll need to add many fabrics. I'm thinking fat quarters are the way to go on this one. What do you think for needed many fabrics in small quantities?