2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 04-08-2015, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

Totally agree with Emma. If we don't use our stash AND stick to the moratorium we will NEVER buy fabric again...ever... and that is just not acceptable.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:09 PM

Sherry, thanks for sharing pics of the Alaska quilt. Your mom will love it. And OK...I really loved seeing the EQ designs. I am going through my scraps as I can and cutting out pieces for my QG swap but wouldn't take a lot more to cut some 2.5 inches squares while I am doing the other. Thanks for the ideas. Everyone is doing well so far this month and using or checking out their stash. Thanks everyone for posting. I am slowly working on backing for my TATW quilt and using my stash and scraps. It is a queen size so will be a large backing to piece.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:14 PM

I know the feeling Emma - I have a bottleneck in my production line as well.. and I am trying to work it out. I worked in manufacturing for 16 years and had to go to classes so many times about lean manufacturing and streamlining processes. So, if I put my production hat on! and think of it a bit like that maybe I can clear the deck a bit. I certainly don't want this to feel like work, but with all of these things unfinished I feel overwhelmed and sluggish, bogged down. I am even feeling overwhelmed going into fabric stores. That said - I am going to the Minnesota Textile Garage sale on Saturday...first time, we will see how I do!! My over all goal for this year is to finish 12, including labels and binding. The tops are paired with backs from stash except for one. We will see if this happens since our son is getting married on May 2nd - I have 2 little boy suits to alter and a hat to make before then, and after that the garden will get a lot of attention, but it is good to have goals!
Well then! I finished this the one in February - all scrappy, all from my stash.[ATTACH=CONFIG]516340[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]516341[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails red-snowball.jpg   back-red-snowball.jpg  
Old 04-08-2015, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

Clever reversible quilt...thanks for posting again.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:57 PM

We're counting flimsies? Oh my. I just did an accounting, and I had 22 at the beginning of the year. I've finished 7 more flimsies since then. But I have completed 3 of those quilts. So I guess that leaves me at about 26 tops waiting to be quilted. And I'm sure I'm missing one or two.

Good news is I'm doing well on my moratorium. I picked up 3 yards last week, because I needed inspiration. But it was only 3 yards, rather than 10 which would have been my shopping trip in the past. And I'm using stash. All 7 of those tops I mentioned above came out of stash fabric.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:59 AM

I expect any day to hear that the textile industry is in sharp decline. Wow, we are doing good!
Sherry: That quilt is divine. Both sides are great and love the way you made a quilting sampler of each block.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:24 AM

Sherry - Those are beautiful quilts. What great work you do.

A lot of us must be thinking flimsies. I was cleaning up the quilt room and realized how many I had so I sandwiched one along with the one I intended to do at the time. Since my fall off the wagon in March, I have done really well in the no buying fabric department. Been shopping my stash (and petting it too)
Old 04-09-2015, 09:23 AM

Hi my name has changed but I'm still me lol. tkhooper has a new name. I couldn't remember my password and had an old email on this site. What a mess but I think I've got it fixed now.

I tumbled off of the wagon. I found the fabric that I was looking for, for the mini art quilt. Of course I found it after I completed that assignment. But I bought 2 yards of it anyway. I think my stubborn streak showed up. Then I found another butterfly fabric that I liked more than the other one so I go it too.

I'm beginning to see how stashes get started.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

Sherry: Love all your quilts but that last red/pink/burgundy is just wonderful! I also like how you used it to showcase different quilting designs in each block.
Emma: My moratorium is pretty flimsy too
Just got a belated birthday gift certificate to the LQS. What's a girl to do? I'll have to look at their tool & template area.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

OK, new terminology: What's a flimsy?