2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 04-27-2015, 11:32 AM

SandyinZ4, Going thru bins and boxes is so good to do. Let's you know what you have doesn't it. Sometimes the sorting of and re-piling of can be somewhat soothing to me. I like to be the master of my stash instead of the stash being my master! All of my snips and tiny stuff go into dog or cat pillows.

I think we as quilters have the recycle deal down to a science. Everything is usable. So, with that in mind, when stumbling happens while on the wagon and I trip and fall off right onto fabric just waiting for me to make a purchase, I try really hard not to feel bad. Happy is the word I'd be more likely to use when I find just the right fabric to go with what I have. Justification in full force here! So far so good though, no stumbling currently going on.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:38 AM

tkhooper, are you making quilts for your personal use? I have enjoyed that process so much. When I give a quilt away it's like giving one of my kids away. So much time and effort goes into them. The quilts I've been making recently have been to keep. For so many years everything went out the door, now it's a sweet pleasure to keep them for my beds!
Old 04-27-2015, 12:56 PM

These are for me, most are to go as window quilts because my house doesn't have insulated glass and I've heard window quilts can help somewhat. And then the fur quilt and the crazy quilt are for my bed. I'll know not to sit on them, lol. But while that is in process I'll be working on community quilts with my quilt club and improving my quilting skills with small projects. Right now my nametag is beating me up.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

Petting my fabric certainly improves my mood. When I get b....cranky DH sends me to my room.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:01 AM

I can't wait until my SIL comes to visit - we are going to assembly line style make quilts for the hometown charity auction. We are going straight to the fabric store after I pick her up at the airport! Of course we will use up plenty of what I have stashed or hoarded. I don't have enough batting for what I have ready to be basted.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Petting my fabric certainly improves my mood. When I get b....cranky DH sends me to my room.
Martina, I lol on this one! My DH will say,"Haven't you got anything to sew" !
Old 04-28-2015, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Lol! wish my husband would do this! I'll have to suggest this to him. Just the other day I told him all the work around the house was really cutting into my sewing time (this was while finding another project the house needed). He just shook his head.

Emma I love the new machine! I am drooling! Would love to have one like it someday. Enjoy her - I bet she just purrs away for you!

Everyone seems to be doing really good on the moratorium. For april I've done better. Does it help there's no LQS - maybe Probably the most helpful for me is deleting emails announcing sales.

I've also been busy making quilts from a portion of my sister's stash that my brother-in-law and niece had given to me after she passed. I think it was was five rubbermaid containers. After almost two years I can look at them now and smile.

I was blessed to be there when she acquired most of it! Oh the fun we had. Weird enough I find it comforting to go down memory lane while I'm making quilts from it. I would like to make each niece and nephew at least a throw but that will take awhile as there is eight in the family.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

What a wonderful trip you are taking with your sister's fabric. I find when sewing for someone special I have such good thoughts...I can't imagine all the wonderful memories you are reliving with your dear sister and what a special relationship you had with her.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:49 AM

Sigh - sigh I almost made it for the month of April but just had to go into Joann's with my 60% off which I didn't even use because the fabric was on sale. 2 yards of fabric. While I've had some hiccups along the way. I know from last year my fabric buying is considerably less. Thanks to all of you guys and feeling like I have to confess here. I am improving and stopping and thinking if I really need a fabric rather than just want it. So though I've fallen off some - it's a huge improvement from the past few years.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

Erin we take it one inch or yard as it were at a time....