2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 04-04-2015, 07:27 PM

grammyjo...patterns, tools, batting and even backing are not on the moratorium. Any of those and other type things are fair game...at least in my opinion. Even backing is considered ok if you don't have what you need in stash. Right now, I am going for the scrappy look on my backings but there are a couple tops that I want to be all soft and fuzzy so will have to shop for flannel or fleece and that won't count. :-)
Old 04-06-2015, 05:07 AM

I will definitely show and tell when I get to that part.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:15 AM

Thanks you for providing a group for a moratorium! I declared a moratorium in January because there is no place left in my house for the fabric. There are bins in every bedroom closet, two bins in the linen closet, two bins and five deep shelves in the supply closet in the sewing/office/dog room. I confess that I did buy one yard of a particular print at an LQS, but that is the end! No more until 80% of what I now own is used up. That may make for some pretty odd combinations, but am believing that it will be all right. Onward! Even though there are no monitors, I would like to know how everyone is doing in about three months. froggyintexas
Old 04-07-2015, 02:25 PM

Well, I've been deleting emails before opening them...all fabric related. So far so good in the month of April.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:30 PM

Froggyintexas, welcome! I think most of us here are in the same boat...We really need to use up what we have in our stashes so that is the purpose of this thread. Once in a while one or two of us fall off the wagon and that is ok. We just climb back on and try to stay strong. Bet your combinations won't be as weird as you think. Please post pictures of what you are making. I am working on a quilt backing right now. Trying to use up all the leftover fabrics from the front and will dip into the stash for enough to finish it. Will share my 'weird' looking back with all of you when it is finished. And Rhonda Lee...good thing to delete those emails. I look through the catalogs when they come and them toss them in the trash unless there is a quilt that I think I can make just by looking and not buying. :-)
Old 04-07-2015, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sunrise450 View Post
I guess it is time to check in. I have been very good so far except for one book and a 17" knitting needle. I have a separate account that is my Quilter's spending account. My dh puts money in each month for me to use for anything I want or "need". I have found that since I am not buying fabric and more fabric, I have money for other things I want and not necessarily need. It feels pretty good!
I have to admit that I haven't even been near a lqs since January. I feel if I do go in one I will slip up and buy! buy! buy!
I have a request. Over the last couple of years I have been accumulating 2-1/2" charms. I have them from swaps and from the fat quarter shop. I get 4 packages a month, (am quitting that today). I am searching for patterns to use these little jewels. I also have many pkgs. of 5" charms. I think just this may give you an idea why I am in this program! And that is just a little peak into my stash! How ever did I let this happen! I am feeling overwhelmed. I need to clean up my sewing room, maybe that will help to get into the right mood to tackle this mess.
Help!
I don't think anyone answered your question....
You can take those candies and make 4P or 9P blocks and alternate them with a plain square..4 1/2" cuts for the 4P and 6 1/2" cuts for the 9P..set them on point for a more interesting quilt.
Or put a 2 1/2 x 6 1/2" rectangle on each side of the 9P with a 2 1/2" square in each corner
Or make 4 flying geese units to finish 2x6 to put on each side of the 9P...alternate with a 10" finished square.

Use them in a scrappy Irish chain

Google quilts using 2 1/2" squares and you can find more ideas. Good luck...
Old 04-07-2015, 07:17 PM

Oksewglad...thanks for answering Sunrise450's question. And Sunrise..please let us know what you make with some of those charms. I have a few bundles, also...(maybe 4) but would sure like to see what you do with yours. Right now, I am concentrating on finishing at least one ufo by end of this month and if I can do that, I will be happy.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:35 PM

Oh dear! My girlfriend called and tried to get me to go on a shop hop with her tomorrow. She can't go now on the weekend like we had talked about earlier, but she could go tomorrow. Thank heavens I do have some good excuses for tomorrow as I have to be hostess for a church ladies potluck and I need to go grocery shopping and do set up at the church before hand. Besides I got to take time to pet Bo, Ralph, and Marley and my stash. That will fill up my day along with cleaning up dirty dog prints and doggy fur.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:53 PM

Oh my, we do try to be strong don't we! Love all the strength here. And if someone slips, someone else offers a hand. It's really a good thing. My husband is building me some shelves in my sewing room at our new home. I'm trying to use more stash so I won't have so much to move. Oh, the thoughts of moving all this stuff is letting me know I do not need more. I am so happy that I have not bought very much fabric this last year. This thread has been a great help for me.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:44 PM
Power Poster

I'm at my computer and will add a couple more ideas for sunrise. This EQ quilt was inspired by a block of paintmejudy here on the board. I want to make this quilt using scraps. The blocks are 18" with setting sashes 2 1/2" wide (cut measurement. Finished quilt is 82 x 82.[ATTACH=CONFIG]516260[/ATTACH]

This one measures 87 x 127 Each block is 10" finished. The charm blocks use 25 2.5 squares each.[ATTACH=CONFIG]516261[/ATTACH]

Enjoy....
Attached Thumbnails paintmejudy-inspiration.bmp   candy-charms.jpg