2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-08-2015, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

Calla, do we all reach a point where the sewing space needs to be reorganized? I'm in the middle of switching things hopefully for the last time. We moved into the house in 07 and I have switched to a bigger space after realizing the 7x12 just wasn't going to work. That was 3 years ago and have switched things around now for the fourth time. Really makes me realize how much I have...good for the moratorium idea.. Last year, the week he got married (when out of state family were here, my son moved out of state and gifted me with a nice small wooden dining table and returned a desk I had given him. Both fit in my space, but I just put them in a quick placement and it just isn't working right. So now I'm trying to get it right..But I have stuff scattered in another room as in order to move units just a bit I still had to empty shelves of fabric. Must get this finished as in a 3 weeks the NC Grands will be here for an extended visit...better get back to the job at hand.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Calla, do we all reach a point where the sewing space needs to be reorganized? I'm in the middle of switching things hopefully for the last time. We moved into the house in 07 and I have switched to a bigger space after realizing the 7x12 just wasn't going to work. That was 3 years ago and have switched things around now for the fourth time. Really makes me realize how much I have...good for the moratorium idea.. Last year, the week he got married (when out of state family were here, my son moved out of state and gifted me with a nice small wooden dining table and returned a desk I had given him. Both fit in my space, but I just put them in a quick placement and it just isn't working right. So now I'm trying to get it right..But I have stuff scattered in another room as in order to move units just a bit I still had to empty shelves of fabric. Must get this finished as in a 3 weeks the NC Grands will be here for an extended visit...better get back to the job at hand.
I think is the disorganization that happens during the process of organizing that makes me crazy. It seems there is no way around making a mess while organizing.

My sewing room is in desperate need of painting , but the idea of removing all of its contents... just gives me brain pain thinking about it. I know that I need a deep clearing of "stuff" that should be done prior to the painting.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:59 PM

Calla: Know just what you mean. My sewing room really could use new floor coverings but the idea of removing all that stuff while its done has me stopped. The upside is it would be a marvelous way to reorganize.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

I have finally realized that my 'sewing room' is actually a fabric storage facility. I sew in my 15'X30' dining room, which usually looks like a tornado hit it. I am a very messy crafter. My office at work was legendary. People from other departments would come & gawk, but I knew where everything was. Took me a month to clean before I retired. The saving grace at home is that we host at least one huge friends & family party each year so I have to take everything out of the DR & put it back in the storage facility, and usually donate stuff as I go.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

My DH claims that my sewing room smells like a quilt store.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:31 AM

Martina: That means you've accomplished your goal. Now whenever you fall off the wagon you can just say your restocking.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Martina: That means you've accomplished your goal. Now whenever you fall off the wagon you can just say your restocking.
...and I will have to do that after work today. A friend's DIL wants a puff quilt for her little man (3 months). She asked me if I knew how to do it so I am planning to learn. She is going with a monkey theme for the room and I found some monkey fabric from Moda (actually a layer cake) that would work fine. The LQS happens to have just what I need so I will have to stop there after work.

My DH busted his collar bone in a QAD-riding (or rather a QAD-rolling) adventure and I am taking him to work right now. The LQS just happens to be on the way. Darn the bad luck.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:24 PM

Martina: Please give him my best. I've heard collar bones are the worst. Are you talking about what is also called a biscuit quilt. If so they fascinate me, always thought they would be fun to make. Not to mention snuggle under. Kind of like wrapping a cloud around yourself. Please share how it goes.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:30 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I've seen it called a biscuit quilt. Got some great tips in a thread I posted and picked up some monkey fabric at the LQS. It is one of those "in-between" projects, easy to do a few puffs (or biscuits) between other projects. Tonight I have to hem a pair of pants for DH. It is a wild departure for the man from Jeans and cowboy hat to pull-up lounge pants and slip-on shoes.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:17 AM

Martina: Found the thread you started. Missed it the first time. That second method sounds great. Thanks for asking the question.