2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-28-2015, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Connie, I like it just the way it is.

Yes, I am claiming the "souvenir clause" today IF something just happens to tickle my fancy. hehe

pamesue, I applaud you for your resolve.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

Sew successful moratorium purchases...good job everyone..
Very graphic scrappy retired teacher
Old 03-28-2015, 04:15 PM

OK: Isn't "successful purchases" an oxymoron? Just askin.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:31 PM

I have not touched my machine since July. I'm in my last year teaching and it's been a doozy of a year. One good thing about not sewing is that I can't justify buying much fabric. I did buy one yard last week but that was my first purchase since early Dec. i can't wait until I have the time and the patience to get back into sewing. Good luck to you all!
Old 03-28-2015, 05:01 PM

pamsue, you are inspiring. I have 2 large bookshelves full of fabric (1 with scraps and 1 with yardage) here in FL and of course, since I don't want to transport fabric back and forth to NJ for my summer there, I have a stash there as well...not nearly as large, but the possibility of growth is always looming. My husband is a Shriner, and I am a member of the Daughters of the Nile, whose mission it is to support the Shrine Hospitals for Children. As a sewer, I have just joined a group who will sew twin sized quilts, hospital gowns for the kids, neck pillows, cast pillows, pillowcases, etc. I have a lot of sports fabric left from the quilt I made for my grandson, so I see how I will repurpose that. I am very excited that I will be doing good for kids and doing good for me too. Let the fun begin!!!
Old 03-28-2015, 11:12 PM
Power Poster

Well, I could have done worse. Got a few cuts of batiks in greens and pink for the last round on a round robin. Then I got 5 yards of a red with small print for backing off the sales table. Considering that I still spent just over $100 for that tiny bag, I am rethinking my need for fabric souvenirs.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:55 AM

Martina: Are you applying the buy now and rue later syndrome? I'm suggesting a new rule. If you do buy don't let guilt ruin your fun.
Last day for the 20% off coupon. May have to take a mosy on down. A lot of people don't realize you can use the coupon for items on the clearance table.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

No it is not guilt, Emma. It is a sense of sticker shock when I turn over the beautiful packets of FQs and see $54, $74, $108 on the tag. I did see some pretties but the prices were not to my liking. I could very easily walk away from the table. I was actually very pleased that I bought things with a real purpose AND it will be used within the next few weeks. So I did good!

While we were there, an elderly lady was badgering her poor husband for his opinion. It was clear to DH and me that the poor guy was overwhelmed because he probably didn't care. (That's how we read it.) So I jumped in and told her I was very good at giving unsolicited advice. lol We both offered lots of that (my DH is GREAT at picking colors) and she hemmed and hawed. Come to find out, she really LIKED what we picked for her but she balked at the prices. She is on a fixed income. WELL, dear lady - maybe you should not have started with that overpriced set of pre-cuts to start with. Just sayin. She also thought that you HAD to cut the fabric selvage to selvage AND that you HAD to use fabric from the front on the back. So a few quilt myths were dispelled. Not sure what she picked in the end but the poor guy looked a little happier.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by grammyjo View Post
pamsue, you are inspiring. I have 2 large bookshelves full of fabric (1 with scraps and 1 with yardage) here in FL and of course, since I don't want to transport fabric back and forth to NJ for my summer there, I have a stash there as well...not nearly as large, but the possibility of growth is always looming. My husband is a Shriner, and I am a member of the Daughters of the Nile, whose mission it is to support the Shrine Hospitals for Children. As a sewer, I have just joined a group who will sew twin sized quilts, hospital gowns for the kids, neck pillows, cast pillows, pillowcases, etc. I have a lot of sports fabric left from the quilt I made for my grandson, so I see how I will repurpose that. I am very excited that I will be doing good for kids and doing good for me too. Let the fun begin!!!
thank you - I also do charity quilts for various organizations., and it dose make you feel good to give to someone in need. Needless to say I have made a lot of scappy quilts
Old 03-29-2015, 10:08 AM

Pamsue, thank- you for letting us know we can stick to our stash first. I appreciate the encouragement.

I completed my orange and tourquise quilt top from my stash. I just need to quilt the top in a few more weeks. I already have all the fabric and batting to complete that project. Will try to post pics when it's quilted.
Y
I am also starting 2 projects strictly from my stash. I decide to do 2 of the scrappy swoon QB quilt along. I decided to do a Christmas fabric version (2 1/2") and batik version (3 1/2"). It started earlier this month. If you are trying to find a project, this one is easy and interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's finished projects.

Curious, if we go on a shop hop, does that go against the rules here? It is out of my town, and closest LQS is 30 minutes away? Since my favorite quilt shop closed last year. Just curious.