2016 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-30-2016, 06:32 PM
Power Poster

Look at it this way Elly66: If we were all good all the time then there wouldn't be the need for this wonderful thread. So thank you for keeping it relevant.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:45 AM

I like that idea. I have to shop for a bargello class that is coming up. I'm looking to make something spring-ish. I'm thinking white background with spring color small print design. Cross your fingers that I can find 10 of them that fit this description.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:49 PM

Didn't happen...I went with pastels and water color shades instead. I hope this will work the way I think it will. I used up some of my white on white 3/4 yard and 1 yard of blue butterflies that I had in my stash which is good. Then I decided that the black on black flocked piece that didn't get used on the black and white star flower will be the perfect background the my grandmother's garden. So I feel that I have successfully used up 6 and 3/4 yard of my stash. That seems pretty fantastic to me. Puts a dent in all the buying I did at the very first of the year.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:30 AM

I was good Thursday as bus did not go to the bigger city over east. Weather was too bad to go. We did go into Vernal. It snowed a little. Trip ok.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:30 PM

the black on black is a bust. and I ended up buying a yard of pastel just incase the white or the butterfly doesn't work. I am awful at choosing fabric.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:44 AM

Time to use up some of my stash. I'm starting an english paper piecing "My Grandmother's Garden" quilt. I haven't hand sewn a quilt since the 80's. So this should be fun. I'm starting it now because I belong to a handwork group and i don't have anything on the crazy quilt that I can take. It will either be a car quilt "quillow" or a window quilt I haven't decided which yet and I have plenty of time.

I love that we have included what we are doing to diminish our stash as well as not adding to it.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:41 AM

I fell off the wagon big time this past month. Let's see, I used up all but 1/4 yard of my Paula Nadelstern Scribbles fabric so I decided to replace it. It is a favorite of mine for adding a little sizzle to a quilt. Then I found out it wasn't being printed any more. OH NO! Found a place on Easy that still had some for about $9 per yard as opposed to the $20 per yard another shop was charging for it. Bought 1 yard each of purple, pink and yellow and 2 yards of royal blue. Then I saw that they had a very nice Paula Nadlestern multicolor wide stripe for $7 per yard-- Bought a yard. That's 6 yards. Theoretically, the Paula Nadelstern could be counted as dark darks, but these particular ones aren't widely available anymore so I chose to count them as exciting prints to spice up a quilt with. That meant that I was running low not only on lights but also dark darks, so ended up buying assorted yardage of each for another l0 yards. Err--that's 16 yards total. Then decided that I needed to replenish my stash of non batik prints- so went with a Connecting Threads Fat quarter pack in mid century modern style--that's another 4 yards. By my count, that's 20 yards of fabric this month. Oh Dear.... It WILL all get used and I've still got less fabric now than I had this time last year, so it's not all naughty....

Rob
Old 04-03-2016, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

Well if it's out of print you HAD to get it. Absolutely HAD to. We all get this. The rest sounds like you were running low on those values too. How can you be creative when you don't have enough value in your stash? Not possible, right? Looks like you are off the hook. hehehe
Old 04-03-2016, 01:19 PM

um...although one fabric may go out of print there are lots of others coming out that may be perfect for the next quilt when it's actually being designed, don't you think?
Old 04-04-2016, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

Well, I sort of tripped a bit. I'm usually pretty decisive on fabric choices, but I'm starting a new quilt and just dithering over fabric choices. I did pull most of it from my stash, but I needed a specific red. Out of my zillions of yards of red, I didn't have the right one. Well, actually I did, but I need 2 yards and I only had one (See I knew I should have originally bought more!!). So I went off to all 3 LQS, and did find something that I thought would work. Got home and made up a block. Didn't like it. So I went online (yes, I know matching red on line is impossible). Found some on sale. At this point, I'm still good. Need something for a specific project, however, the same site had a wonderful batik also on sale. A couple yards made it into my shopping cart. I did leave the stuff in the cart overnight. I often do this and delete it the next day. This time, however, the next morning that gorgeous batik looked even better. I got 3 yards. Learned my lesson with that measly 1 yard of red!