2016 Fabric Moratorium

Old 11-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

The lace gloves were bought and the ruffles were actually an overlay with some left-over wing fabric.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
The lace gloves were bought and the ruffles were actually an overlay with some left-over wing fabric.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that your socks should match your wings!
Old 11-03-2016, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I seem to remember reading somewhere that your socks should match your wings!
Wasn't there something about not wearing white shoes after Labor Day???

Rob
Old 11-04-2016, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

Well, it's official. I have no self control. Last week I posted a reminder that we were entering the last 'official' month. I figured I could be good until then. Alas. I went to the Salvation Army and bought a 100% cotton twin flat Christmas-y sheet. I have several Christmas quilts planned and this will be a great backing. It was $1. Who could pass that up?
Old 11-04-2016, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

Does anyone need to consult Miss Manners on the above observations? I'm sure she would have an opinion.....

Sounds like a good buy....PPrincess...I'm avoiding the LQS anniversary sale as I really don't need anything...working on a stash reducing quilt that just doesn't seem to use much fabric, but I really am....

Last edited by oksewglad; 11-04-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

Well it looks like I have a reprieve. I tossed my bargain sheet into the wash today & when I took it out of the dryer & folded it, I noticed it was small, certainly not a twin top sheet, which is what the sales tag said. On further inspection, I've decided it's a tablecloth. Just the size for my kitchen table, so it really doesn't count as a fabric purchase!

OKsewglad: my LQS's anniversary sale is also going on Are you in MI?

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 11-05-2016 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:24 PM

I went back to Mo Star quilt store the other day. I bought a few items for my SS person. I bought backing for a king size quilt and some batik for my Bonnie hunter mystery quilt. I wasn't happy with the bright pink I was going to use, so decided to buy 1 1/2 yard of fabric I like better. I pushed my luck and went to a LQS and ended up buying background snow flake white on white and cream on cream snowflake fabric 3 yards of each. I can never have enough of snowflake fabric can I? My birthday month and sales do not help me keep to my stash decreasing. I also ordered 3-4 row by row kits from other states. They are now coming in the mail. 2 or 3 are from Alaska. They have such pretty row by row kits. I can't think of anything I need for my future projects, So I think I'm almost done shopping for this year.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:23 AM

9 yards of RJR Handspray in black jumped into my cart on the MSQ website yesterday. It had been out of stock everywhere I looked except at Craftsy who said they had an 8.5 yard cut which I bought for a quilt UFO I want to finish this month only to find out they were mistaken and the fabric I received was not RJR Handspray, but a no-name black inexpensive backing fabric. Now, I only needed 2 yards for my UFO but since the only place I could originally find it was Craftsy and they only had it in an 8.5 yard cut I had to buy that and then it ended up not being the RJR Handspray after all. So of course when MSQ got it back in stock Instead of buying the 2 yards that I need, I had to buy 8.5 yards to replace the Craftsy yardage I Am sending back (if they ever manage to send me the return info) and, really if you're going to buy 8.5 yards shouldn't you just round up to a nice whole number like 10 yards?Note- for rounding purposes I'm using the rule that says you are supposed to match the evenness or oddness of the number before the fraction.

So I put 10 yards of it in my cart at MSQ, but only actually purchased 9 yards which I would love to say showed admirable restraint on my part but was really because MSQ only had 9 yards in stock

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 11-06-2016 at 04:27 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

happy lab, if I lived within reasonable driving distance of Hamilton, I don't know as I could control myself. Sounds like you used admirable constraint!
Rob, read your other post about the 'bait & switch' fabric. I hope you get it resolved and that RJR didn't change the fabric recipe! Hmm, my mathematician brain is saying that 10 is a much prettier number than 8.5, but 9 certainly has its merits.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:04 AM

PaperPrincess, I can't imagine that RJR has changed to such a completely different fabric. I've sent them an email about the problem since I have not managed to get Craftsy to change their listing for the fabric. I have taken photos of my remaining scrap of RJR Handspray With selvage attached laying on top of the fabric Craftsy sent me. I sent copies of the photos to both Craftsy and RJR fabrics, so hopefully the misidentification on the Craftsy platform will get fixed before some other quilter ends up with something other than what they ordered.

Rob