Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Fabric Moratorium

Petthefabric- those are neat, great way to showcase large prints!

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

Blog Entries
    Great use of the oriental fabric, petthefabric.

I stopped at Joann today and got a sticky-dot dispenser (to apply golden threads quilt paper) and a packet of Poly Batting. Did have coupons so not a lot of damage. Then we drove to the LQS where I had the coupon......Did you ever go to a store that had bad vibes? This one did not make me happy. They scaled back the size of the store and it got really cramped. The employees only dealt with those people they knew (or so it seemed). Their selection did not excite me one bit. So I ended up getting a FQ bundle of patriotics and two packs of needles. Probably not going back to that store any time soon.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Madquilter, sorry to hear of your bad experience. I hope it goes well when you go shopping elsewhere.

I'm getting the urge to buy some new fabric. Mostly background fabric. It seems when I bought in the past, I thought 3 yards would be enough for a large quilt. Silly me. Now I need to find fabric for several projects I want to start in the next few months. I need to make a quillow for a family member. She wants earth tones fabric, horses and horse shoes. Inter-net shopping here I go soon. I know I don't have this type of fabric. I'll go shopping next week.

I went to an estate sale today and spent a little less than 60 dollars but none of it is for me! I had a fun time looking through the lady's fabric. It was the second day of the sale and there was still lots of fabric left. I found knits and ribbing for baby gowns and sleepers and backings for baby quilts for Bundles of Love Charity. I also picked up some batting for my church group and buttons for baby sweaters and for decorations on mittens made by a church group for a fundraiser for Robin's Nest.

It was the second day of the sale so everything was 50% off and bless the lady that just charged me $1 a piece no matter whether it should have been 4 dollars or whatever. . She recognized me from other sales and knew I volunteered with a church group. I paid 25 cents a card for the buttons.

I think I may have some middle school volunteers sort it by use and measure it out of curiosity of how much I did buy.

Connie

Blog Entries
    KIds, I am in SERIOUS!!! trouble. We are planning a road trip in September from California to New Mexico where I will get to meet a quilting friend from the internet. We have been in the same forums for years. She sent me a message that we need to do our own shop hop. There were at least 6 stores listed which are on her "must visit" list. Her DH is disabled so she doesn't get out much. I think I will need to support her and the local economy (because that is the polite thing to do, right?)

I think when I get back I will need to have my own caboose behind the wagon. lol
    Martina

I thought there was a special dispensation while traveling.

Totally fell off yesterday.

Got locked out of the house without my medicine. Hubby came home from work to let me in. Then 2 hours late finally went to a sew day, that was sewing for a charity, just not the one I expected. Went to pick up my prescription to discover the insurance would only pay for 20 days at a time. It was a hot day. Felt sorry for myself. Knew what I was doing and put temptation into my own path.

Next time I need to bring along the quilt I'm buying for instead of guessing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
    I thought there was a special dispensation while traveling.
    I think the scope of my travel plans exceed the travel allowance.
    Martina

But I've got travel plans in August. You mean I can't just go hog wild?

this is a great idea. I just fail horribly at self governing. I need external accountability.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa milos View Post
    this is a great idea. I just fail horribly at self governing. I need external accountability.
    We try to support each other. I have noticed a huge difference in how much fabric I purchase now compared to before. I also shop my stash first and often make design changes based on what I HAVE as opposed to what I originally had in mind.
    Martina

Blog Entries
    Good for you Martina...I have done the same....but.....a LQS is going out of business...another retirement...and last weekend is this weekend...may just go over to say goodbye as it has been a favorite of mine.....
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

A while ago, someone asked me if I would take scraps from her daughter's quilts after she saw what I did with little pieces in a quilt. So when she told me she had a couple bags of scraps to pick up, I said that I would take them. Well, I didn't realize the grocery bags would be jam packed with a few bigger than fat quarter pieces but less than 1/2 yard along with strips, squares, small bricks, and triangles. Some of the strips are the right width and length for the newest Bonnie Hunter leader/ender challenge so they have a spot to be put right away.

Good thing I don't have much going on for the next 6 days. Lol!

Connie

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 151
Size:  129.4 KB

My DH just told me our travels next week will include a stop in Paducah! I need backing, but I may also use the travel exemption and my birthday exemption as it will be the following week. Happy Camper here!
    Sophie2

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
    A while ago, someone asked me if I would take scraps from her daughter's quilts after she saw what I did with little pieces in a quilt. So when she told me she had a couple bags of scraps to pick up, I said that I would take them. Well, I didn't realize the grocery bags would be jam packed with a few bigger than fat quarter pieces but less than 1/2 yard along with strips, squares, small bricks, and triangles. Some of the strips are the right width and length for the newest Bonnie Hunter leader/ender challenge so they have a spot to be put right away.

Good thing I don't have much going on for the next 6 days. Lol!

Connie

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 151
Size:  129.4 KB
    Quite a haul...Connie...don't you love the challenge of puttiing these bits to good use? My current project with my QBuddy is like this...She asks me where I used a certain fabric and well it was given to me. These bits help me step out of my color comfort zone.
    But Thursday I went to the LQS that's having it's last day today. Lucky me, fabric at 50% off, but will not divulge how many yards of comfort zone fabric I brought home..."mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa".
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Such lovely bags of scraps from your friend, Retiredteacher.

I hope all is enjoying sewing/quilting.

In about 10 days the guild is having a work day, to put together kits for comfort quilts. They consider me the combination guru, so yesterday, the leader and I organized kit fabric combinations, putting each into 2 gal size zipper bags. At the work day they'll each get a pattern and pieces cut out, batting and label. There must be 20+ packages. At 3+ yrds/pkg, that's at least 60 yds fabric. I'm contributing to decreasing a stash. Does this count for the moratorium?

Now to gather easy quilt ideas. I've been following other threads for this.

Blog Entries
    Oh yes....petthefabric...definitely!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Here's a pic of my 2.5" log cabin top. I just need to put on 2 borders and it is done. Then off the the quilters it goes. I used my stash, scraps and swaps from the board. So far no fabric was bought in the last 2 years. It's a king size. I'm debating what backing to use. Name:  IMG_0133.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  1.42 MBI'm leaning towards off white design. Notice Midnight my helper?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
    But I've got travel plans in August. You mean I can't just go hog wild?
    Haha, if you can then I can too.
    Martina

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa milos View Post
    As you can see, we are not as disciplined as we could or should be BUT all in all we are doing better.
    Martina

If the net is down..... Just quilt like mad, give some away....

I've had this at least 20 yrs, it needs a new home.

Blog Entries
    AnngelAnne...I don't like sewing with stripe fabric..drives me a bit batty trying to get/keep stripes straight. Although, I have bought striped fabric to use as binding. I like the barbershop pole look.. Plus, I believe the striped fabric has all been on sale when I've bought it!

Love that scrappy and your helper, Happylab! It's so much fun to see what everyone's doing with their stashes.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

Quote Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
    Hi all!
    Thank you for the well-wishes - MrLeta (haha!!) is mostly back to normal, as long as he doesn't "over do it".
    I'm really liking the job - it's not as much money as I wanted, so it's going to take awhile to replenish my emergency fund, but I'm by NO means complaining! I have already been a good influence on my team, by programming a couple of "tools" to automate some of our more tedious processes.

In the meantime, I've been playing with the threads that came in, testing to see which ones I like best before I actually start on my LoneStar. I posted the sketch awhile back, and here's my "test" version. As usual, it didn't go quite exactly as I had planned, but it's close. I think I have decided that I'm going to use more color in here too, not just the white/gray. And I'm still "on the wagon"... being broke does make you think twice... or 3 or 4 or 5 times... before buying a 'non-necessity", especially since I have tons of stash that needs to be used up.
    Does test mean this doesn't have a front side, that is some sharp looking, I love it.

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 LastLast