Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2017 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2017 UFO Challenge of the Month

2017 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 01-07-2017, 10:23 AM

I'm in! Last year, this helped inspire me to finish 2 UFOs - hope to finish more this year. Not sure how many I have, but not too many. Just so hard to get back to one after I've moved on to something else! Top of the list is a quilt I started over 10 years ago. I hadn't been sewing/quilting very long at that point and the project was way above my pay grade. I look at it now and think , wow it's kind of a mess. Time to see what can be done with it.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:17 AM

I just finished my inventory and here's the count:

16 total UFOs - 9 need quilting/binding, 5 partially pieced, 2 cut-out and waiting for stitching. I have 2 sandwiched for quilting and that's what I'm working on today. My oldest flimsy is about 8 years old and it has to go to a LA for finishing. It's an 84" x 102" top totally paper-pieced of various flowers. Took years for me to finish. I have no idea how it should be quilted but I trust my LA'er and will just ask her to do whatever she feels would look best.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

kele, 2 done is great. That's 2 more off the list.

I decided to NOT count mine as it would be really depressing. In reality I am working on 2 new projects while the UFO pile lingers. BAD Martina!
Old 01-07-2017, 06:44 PM

Today, I was able to "multi-task"... while I was longarming a customer quilt, I also had the embroidery machine going to finish the last three characters for one of the UFO quilts. Since these embroideries are rather large, I only got one finished, but church has been cancelled tomorrow because of the snow and ice, so I should be able to finish both the customer quilt AND the other two embroideries!

I'm waiting for some patterns for teddy bears and other stuffed critters... once those arrive, I will use the two yardsale tops to make patchwork animals and get those UFO's out of the way.

After this customer quilt, I have two more... plus, last night I got a call for a consignment quilt to be completed in time for Valentine's day. So the fabric for that is on order - and since it's not for *ME* that doesn't knock me off the wagon of the Fabric Moratorium. Customer already paid 1/2 down as a deposit, so that paid for the fabric already. With a total of four customer quilts, I will have to really be pushing it to get a UFO done... where oh where are those patterns?!?
Old 01-07-2017, 08:27 PM

I'm not going to inventory mine either. Why upset myself when this is about being positive? On that note, I'm working on my scrappy quilt. I've got to cut some more sashing strips but I'm further along than I thought I'd be. That makes me happy. I'm Rolling along!
Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
kele, 2 done is great. That's 2 more off the list.

I decided to NOT count mine as it would be really depressing. In reality I am working on 2 new projects while the UFO pile lingers. BAD Martina!
Old 01-08-2017, 06:03 AM

Hi, I've been lurking on this thread for 4 years now when 'Wildyard' was conductor. I even lurked so long I was dropped from membership with the board. But I enjoy this site and I just had to re-join again. I too, would love to hop on board this UFO train. I realize that I will have to navigate that picture posting thing when I get a completion. I do have a couple recent UFO's and I have two with some history attached to them. But, I want to start with the two that is recent, like the last 2 years. So, I requesting for a seat on this train. Thanks Janice for keeping this train a moving. All you quilters that proceed me aboard have a Good New Year.

Last edited by cherrybsixty; 01-08-2017 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Altairss View Post
I am in and starting a spreadsheet of everything I have in the works and adding when I started them so I can get myself in gear. Hopefully! I have several big quilts I need to finish and not been motivated but life if short and you never know when the person that they are intended for might no longer be here to get it. I have one that I never got done in time to gift to the person I wanted it for so I am using that to motivate.
Altairss, I am very much interested in your spreadsheet concept, do you mind sharing a copy. Please inbox me a copy if you don't. Thank you.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:17 AM

Default UFO completed!

Hey all,
Here's my first 2017 UFO finish. It's not a quilt, but this fleece poncho has been sitting around unfinished for 5 years bugging me the whole time, not to mention all the space it was taking up my fabric storage drawers that could have been used for some of the things that have been covering every horizontal surface LOL. The top pic shows it folded into its onboard storage pouch.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails img_0980.jpg   img_0983.jpg  
Old 01-08-2017, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
I'm not going to inventory mine either. Why upset myself when this is about being positive? On that note, I'm working on my scrappy quilt. I've got to cut some more sashing strips but I'm further along than I thought I'd be. That makes me happy. I'm Rolling along!
I'm with you, Janice. No taking inventory for me either, I'd probably have a heart attack! Using the QAYG method, I have another group of Boom blocks done for my oldest grandson, just waiting for the binding today. Church has been cancelled, so I have all day to work on it. My strips are cut, just waiting for me in my sewing room.
So far I'm just sitting here looking at the sun glittering off all the ice outside. The trees look like diamonds. My huge mug of coffee is pretty good this morning. I'll post a pic as soon as I get the binding on and find me some tall men at church to hold it up for the picture.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:44 AM

Rob- Congrats on the poncho finish. And it has a storage pouch! Very cool. Are you keeping it?