Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2017 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2017 UFO Challenge of the Month

2017 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 12-15-2017, 07:13 PM

Thanks Martina, the vision has been good enough today that I was able to get just about all of the BH Clue 3 stitched (still need to press and trim) and also made some progress on the UFO trivets that are destined for Xmas presents. I was sorry to read about your friend's cancer--I'm sure the quilt will be a great comfort.

Rob
Old 12-15-2017, 07:17 PM

Belfrybat- I'm sorry to hear about your friend. The quilt you made for him is a beautiful way to commemorate all the things he has done for your church.

Rob
Old 12-15-2017, 09:16 PM

Belfrybat, that's a lovely comfort quilt for your suffering church-member. I believe that at least some of our UFO's are just waiting for their calling to bring them to life, and that one certainly found it. Good work setting those blocks!
Old 12-16-2017, 07:16 AM

That's a lovely quilt Belfrybat, and amazing that you were able to complete it so quickly. I'm sure it will mean so much to your friend.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

Stepping Stones is completed - actually it's in the wash. It will go to work with me on Monday. Similar to belfrybat's situation, mine is going to a dear colleague who was just diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer. His prognosis is OK but the treatment and sacrifice it takes him to get the prognosis is very difficult. I hope the quilt helps a little along a very painful path. For some reason QB doesn't "see" the picture in my phone. I will have to figure this out and try again later.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:52 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing the pic of the comfort quilt you made for your friend, Martina. I have the same problem with the phone thing. I have to upload photos to QB from my laptop. Can't get them to upload to QB from either my iPad or iPhone.

Rob
Old 12-16-2017, 02:02 PM

Default 2 more UFOs finished

Hey everyone,
I have just finished two more UFOs for December. They're smaller trivets than the ones that I made in November. I think they will become part of a set-- 1 large and 1 or 2 small trivets--to be given as Xmas presents. I'm hoping to get another couple done before Christmas. Still have clothesline left....Can't imagine why I bought so much, unless I was intending to make some really large bowls or a rug... Here's pics.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails img_1848.jpg  
Old 12-16-2017, 04:19 PM

Well, I grabbed one of the UFO shoeboxes... and man-oh-man, this is an Antique UFO...as in... about 30 years of a UFO!!!!!!
I had just started learning to quilt, and I have always loved the Dresden plate pattern. Unfortunately, I discovered pretty quickly that the applique aspect of DP is not my forte... so there it sat, year after year after year...
But I really have issues with throwing stuff away. I have to Really hate it to do so... and while this UFO gives me distress for various reasons, I don't hate it.

So, I thought and thought about Why I abandoned it... the applique aspect... how I hate to turn edges under (because it looks awful)... how if I don't, it will ravel...
and inspiration struck...

I can't do a lot about the blocks that were already finished, but the unfinished ones are now getting backed with fusible before I stitch them down onto their base. So, there were about 6-8 already done... and I completed 3 tonight... and there's quite a few yet to go... I'll hit the stash for sashing and backing when I get that far, but here's a "sneak peek"... will it get finished before 12/31/17? I don't know but it's at least moving towards completion...
Attached Thumbnails dresdens.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-25-2017 at 04:18 PM. Reason: remove shouting
Old 12-17-2017, 10:21 AM

This is darling, QM. It's such a happy project. Toot, Toot for your UFO finish!
Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
At least I finished one during my lunch hour today. I have four more to go. These runners (5) were started three years ago by my husband and me. He cut out all the pieces, I refused. He bought it for me to make for the five kids. Uh, me and handwork do not do well. Hence why so long being done. Hopefully by the end of this week I will have the other four done.[ATTACH=CONFIG]585251[/ATTACH]
Old 12-17-2017, 10:27 AM

MadQuilter, congratulations on your finish of Stepping Stones. I hope your colleague will enjoy the quilt for many years to come. Toot, Toot.
Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Stepping Stones is completed - actually it's in the wash. It will go to work with me on Monday. Similar to belfrybat's situation, mine is going to a dear colleague who was just diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer. His prognosis is OK but the treatment and sacrifice it takes him to get the prognosis is very difficult. I hope the quilt helps a little along a very painful path. For some reason QB doesn't "see" the picture in my phone. I will have to figure this out and try again later.