Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2017 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2017 UFO Challenge of the Month

2017 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 12-12-2017, 06:20 AM

15 more to get to 300 for the year. That number looks achievable!
Old 12-12-2017, 10:32 AM

If I could be on my feet, I would get to that number. I can see why I have handwork projects, yuck! Give me the machine any day. LOL I have all 35 buttons (seven on each runner) done, now for the blanket stitch to attach to backing and done! They are cute, but way more work than I will do again for some time. Hey maybe I can finish up my hand applique project, that would give us another. If I can, then I do have two more UFO projects that I am stuck on. I took them out to finish for a gift and can see why they are not done, am stuck on some instructions. Maybe photo for you and you can explain to me.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:14 PM

At least I finished one during my lunch hour today. I have four more to go. These runners (5) were started three years ago by my husband and me. He cut out all the pieces, I refused. He bought it for me to make for the five kids. Uh, me and handwork do not do well. Hence why so long being done. Hopefully by the end of this week I will have the other four done.[ATTACH=CONFIG]585251[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails runner-stockings.jpg  
Old 12-12-2017, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
At least I finished one during my lunch hour today. I have four more to go. These runners (5) were started three years ago by my husband and me. He cut out all the pieces, I refused. He bought it for me to make for the five kids. Uh, me and handwork do not do well. Hence why so long being done. Hopefully by the end of this week I will have the other four done.[ATTACH=CONFIG]585251[/ATTACH]
That runner is cute, but speaking as someone who also doesn't care to do hand work, if my husband came up with hobby projects for me to do that were not something I'd choose, he'd get to finish them himself! Five of the same thing would be especially onerous. Your kids better appreciate them! I remember doing a project involving beads and sequins on a felt Christmas stocking when I was about 12, and I've never been tempted to do another. I liked it in concept, but the whole time I was doing it I was waiting in agony for it to be over. Never again. If any of your kids like to sew, maybe the kit would make a great gift in its own right?

PS, I love that your doggie knows how to drive. Maybe he should work for Uber!
Old 12-13-2017, 12:51 PM

You crack me up Rose. Maybe she could work for Uber. Might get better service and with a smile.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:00 PM

Thanks Sync and Janice for your kind words, sorry about the pix being so big. But I just glad that I finished in time. Boarding that plane tomorrow. Happy for all the other finishes for the month. Hopefully, the other UFO's help send Janice off as a real fine conductor by reaching the goal she requested (300) finishes for the year. A very happy holiday season to everyone. Happy finishes

Cherry
Old 12-14-2017, 05:48 PM

Janice, I MIGHT be able to get one more done, but that's doubtful. My sewing room has been rearranged so the heater technician can come take a look at expanding our ductwork. Hopefully, he'll come tomorrow and get done tomorrow!!

In the meantime, while we rearranged to give him better access, I found another 2 kits - one is a queen-sized quilt, and one is a really nice handbag, including all the findings (D-rings, closures, etc). Neither of them are UFO's, but the purse did get me thinking of re-purposing a couple of UFO's that probably will not "mature" into a quilt... but instead may get turned into purses, cosmetic bags, or totes.

From my seat at the computer, I can clearly see 5 UFO shoeboxes. And I know there are others (PIGS - Projects In Grocery Sacks) in the larger Rubbermaid totes. I know for a fact that I won't get anything done between Christmas and New Years' as I will be babysitting my grandbabies that week.They're not old enough to learn to sew/quilt yet, but one day...
Old 12-15-2017, 08:03 AM

I have another finish, but it is a bittersweet one. This past Sunday our pastor announced that a wonderful person in the church has been diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal cancer. This was a blow to many of us as R. is only 51 and is involved in many church ministries. One of which is the Eden gardeners who take care of the planting in and around the columbarium.

I wanted to make a prayer quilt for him that honoured his creative and ardent support of this organization, but I only had two days to do so since we met Wednesday evening. So... I pulled out some swap blocks from last winter from another board, added a floral square to each corner to represent the Eden Gardeners, sashed, bordered, and quilted it. Unfortunately he wasn't able to be at the meeting but our pastor delivered the quilt to him yesterday.

I think this qualifies as a UFO finish as the blocks were started in Nov. 2016 and swapped in January 2017.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]585401[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails russell-winter-swap-quilt.jpg  
Old 12-15-2017, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

Rob, I hope you feel better. Quilters and vision sort of go together. Take it easy on those meds - they are very strong.

I am one label and binding away from a finish. Planning to get that done today and then I will show. It's a quilt for a colleague who was just diagnosed with an aggressive cancer. I want him to have it for his chemo. The name of the quilt is "Stepping Stones for Tom." Just to clarify, the top has been done for years from scraps so it is a true UFO. It's original name was "A river runs through it" and it was going to be mine but the new situation required a redirect with purpose and name.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:23 PM

QuilterMomma I like your stocking W/H. Congrats on your finish.

Sorry to hear about Mr. R's cancer, at such a young age. Quilting prayers are going his way. The UFO quilt you made him is very nice. I'm sure it will comfort him and remind him he is loved. Congrats on your UFO fiish.

As for my UFO's, my progress is slow. I'm still redoing my BHMQ 2017 (last years). I decided to put that aside until next year and work on the following projects. I debating on pink or white binding for a pink quilt. I'm leaning towards white. It will be sent to California to my GN, who is 3 years old. I'll cut that out tomorrow and finish the project. I also just need to stitch in the ditch on my snowman long table runner. It's for my kitchen bar. If I can find 2 small projects (UFO's), I have put them somewhere for safe keeping while I re-organized my sewing room. Now I can't remember where that safe place is now. Both projects would only take me a few hours to complete. I could complete a Disappearing 4-patch throw I swapped from the board a few years ago and just need to but borders on and quilt. That would only take about 4 hours. Hum. Since this is VQA weekend, I will be working on these projects. That would be my 3-4 projects to do this weekend. Yep, I talked my self into it. I'm enjoying seeing everyone's Completed UFO's even if I don't comment on them. I'll post again after the weekend. Happy sewing and quilting everyone.