Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2017 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2017 UFO Challenge of the Month

2017 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 04-13-2017, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

Impressive QMomma.....I really need more lighting in my space....trac lights look like a smart way to go...
Old 04-13-2017, 05:38 PM

nice lighting, QuilterMomma!! Enjoy it!
Old 04-14-2017, 04:33 AM

QMomma...your lighting will be a blessing. I had a clip-on machine light that helped me a lot but I really need some all-over GOOD room lighting. Older eyes just aren't compatible with old lighting. I cannot see dark fabrics well enough and this past month or so I find that white thread on white fabric is also hard to see.
I like those teapot/teacup blocks! Someday, I want to make a wall, hanging with teacups/teapots/ plates and saucers.

No quilting yesterday or today. I have a bad headache. I don't usually get headaches but I tied back my long, unruly gray hair with a an elastic band and I think that's what gave me the headache. That and the ton of hairspray....it was marked unscented but it definitely wasn't. If headache eases off, I hope to get some hand quilting done tonight.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:49 AM

Your new lighting looks great, QuilterMomma. I know I should do something about the lighting in my sewing room, too.

Very pretty scrappy quilt, Anne!
Old 04-14-2017, 06:15 AM

Great lighting. You'll enjoy that and your mentioning of the ironing board reminds me I need to look for a new one myself
Old 04-14-2017, 06:58 AM

Love the mini-quilt, Sync, and especially your hand quilting. Beautiful! Congratulations and toot, toot on your UFO finish.
Originally Posted by Sync View Post
Welcome to the group anne2016.

My progress on my ufos has been slow but steady. The quilting on my hubby's quilt (poor guy has been waiting 2 years) is getting close to being done and I'm working on the borders of Allietare. My DD#2 and SIL just left to go back home (to Hawai'i) after their nice visit here, miss them already. While here DD#2 laid claim to one of my ufos, so that has moved up on the get done list. Anyway I do have an April finish ............ this is from Aurifil's BOM mini series from 2015. It's 15.5" X 17.75" It was machine pieced and hand quilted.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]571267[/ATTACH]
Old 04-14-2017, 07:04 AM

Well, JimsQueenie, we'll be here in July. Why don't you just keep stopping by in the meantime to say hello and offer your support. We can all use it. Welcome to this train ride!
Originally Posted by JimsQueenie View Post
Count me in!! I have tons of boxes of UFO's but I won't be able to start until July 2017!!
Old 04-14-2017, 07:14 AM

Anne2016, this is a wonderful colorful UFO finish! Of course, I'm partial since I love scrappy and I love squares. Congratulations on your first UFO finish of 2017. Toot, Toot!

We're picking up a little speed here, travelers!

Originally Posted by anne2016 View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]571351[/ATTACH]So...the scrappy quilt is completely finished. This is my first quilting finish for 2017. I am hoping there will be many more. Gosh...the pics are BIG!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]571350[/ATTACH]
Old 04-14-2017, 07:27 AM

I believe I'm all caught up with the finishes. If I missed anyone's, please don't hesitate to let me know.

I will send good finishing thoughts your way. When you are done, you can tell us what it's like to make a quilt without it becoming a UFO first!
Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I have an anti-UFO story to tell. It looks like I will be able to complete a project start to finish without it ever making it into the UFO bin. Now THAT'S RARE for me.
Wildyard, thanks for that link. I have thousands of 2 1/2 inch squares that need a quilt home...
Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
Just sharing for those who might be interested; here is the link to a free tutorial on making the Growing Up Odd quilt:
https://weddingdressblue.wordpress.c...-up-odd-quilt/
QM, that heart bargello is lovely. I cannot wait to see how you finish it up. And the lighting is FANTASTIC. Congratulations on a sewing room upgrade.
Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
That is a thrill isn't it Martina!!!!

Oh, I did not tell you, but I got new lighting in my quilting/family room last night. WOW! what a difference it makes. I know, I need a new ironing board cover, but it is on its way. No more yellow photos for me and I can see what I am doing. The blocks are a swap I am doing over at MyQuiltPlace.com. You can also see that I am nearly done with two more UFOs. Have to put borders on the bargello and the one behind it just needs it backing pieced. [ATTACH=CONFIG]571484[/ATTACH]
I'm not progressing well with my UFOs. I'm STILL working on a mini. I just have to quilt it and then put the border on it. I've been sidetracked (this time) by a tax return from, well, you know where. (Missing documentation that is "in the mail". It's been in the mail for 3 weeks. Yeah.) Anyway, I hope to spend a little time over the weekend on my mini. I planned to quilt it quickly on the machine but seeing Sync's mini, I'm rethinking it. It's only 12 1/2 by 9 1/2. Shouldn't take very long at all.
Originally Posted by anne2016 View Post
...How are all of you train riders progressing with your projects?

Last edited by Janice McC; 04-14-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:40 AM

On the lighting, if you put in "Daylight LED bulbs" in your house, you can get some good light. We put the bulbs in our kitchen and wow, what a difference. A bit bright in am, but need to wake up anyway. LOL
I have the borders nearly done on bargello. Hope to get it quilted and bound by tomorrow and the other one.