2019 UFO Challenge

Old 02-23-2019, 03:48 PM

Belfrybat: I have counted finishing someone else’s UFO’s and using someone’s orphan blocks as finishes here. Totally your choice but they are from a member on this board. Thanks for making the original owner of the fabric happy to know the projects will be finished.

oksewglad: Very pretty UFO and hexi’s. I know I wouldn’t have the patience to do the hexi’s because I don’t like handwork anymore but I love seeing hand projects.

Since my other UFO is waiting for me to get some fabric to enlarge it, I thought I would start on my next project which was a BOM that ended a year ago on Feb 27th. So it too will become an UFO shortly. I have 2 more blocks to make and then sashing strips here and there to finish the top but.....I don’t need another quilt for me so I am toying with the idea of grouping some together and making several wall hangings for my house. I saw pictures of someone that had framed each of the blocks and that gave me the idea of wall hangings. Verdict is still out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]609115[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 80ee486d-2370-470d-a77d-bf31d857eda7.jpeg  

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 02-23-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:10 PM

Ok.....both those projects are gorgeous! The colors are really beautiful....the hexi's will make a lovely and homey quilt. I can so totally see this over a rocking chair...specifically, mine....lol..

retired....stunning applique work. Would look adorable as separate wallhangings but the quilt is gorgeous, too.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:23 PM

oksewglad, that's a sweet UFO and I love those hexis .............

retiredteacher, sweet applique .......

Now that the Nascar races have started I pulled out my "forever" project/UFO and will be working on these little applique baskets while watching the weekend races. So far I have 15 done out of 50 (hence the "forever" title) and now have 5 more prepped and ready for the next few races ............ my other UFOs ....... I'm getting close to finishing the quilting on hubby's quilt and the mini in my lap frame is also almost done. Hopefully I'll have a finish or two for March. Here's a peek at my baskets ...........
[ATTACH=CONFIG]609118[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0968.jpg  
Old 02-23-2019, 07:58 PM
Power Poster

Love the components of your applique blocks, Connie! I haven't done much applique and not very good at it either...always enjoy seeing everyone else's though.

Sync, my hexi's are like your "forever" baskets! Very pretty!
Old 02-24-2019, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sync View Post
oksewglad, that's a sweet UFO and I love those hexis .............

retiredteacher, sweet applique .......

Now that the Nascar races have started I pulled out my "forever" project/UFO and will be working on these little applique baskets while watching the weekend races. So far I have 15 done out of 50 (hence the "forever" title) and now have 5 more prepped and ready for the next few races ............ my other UFOs ....... I'm getting close to finishing the quilting on hubby's quilt and the mini in my lap frame is also almost done. Hopefully I'll have a finish or two for March. Here's a peek at my baskets ...........
[ATTACH=CONFIG]609118[/ATTACH]
those flowers are great
Old 02-24-2019, 07:54 AM

oksewglad, those are heavenly hexies. I don't see any stitches. Are you using a blind stitch? I hope to make hexies someday.

Connie, what beautiful blocks!

Sync, your baskets of flowers are wonderful!
Old 02-24-2019, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Thanks, joe's mom..I use a ladder stitch rather than a whip stitch..once in a while thread shows, but hey I'm far from perfect I do enjoy sewing them together and it's a good take along project!
Old 02-24-2019, 09:16 AM

Sync.....you basket quilt is just beautiful....
Old 02-24-2019, 11:40 AM

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. The flower baskets were a BOM from Pearl Pereira's P 3 Designs back in 2015. It is hard to see in the picture but each flower has some embroidery .......... a skill I'm not very good with, but after 50 blocks I hope to improve .........
Old 02-24-2019, 01:20 PM

Some great pictures! That's quite a collection of various blocks, Connie. It looks like it was a QAYG project?

Ok, I just love yellow and blue together. I've got a UFO that yellow and blue..I've got a UFO hexie granny's flower garden too. lol My blocks were made by someone else, but I couldn't pass them up when they were being sold very cheap. I know how I want to set them-- they've been in the box I got them for a few years already. I like your sampler quilt in vertical strips. That type of setting is on my list of projects I'd like to start. :-)

I've got 3 borders attached to my Birthday Candy quilt. I've got the blocks sewn and strips cut for the last border. I wish the red zigzag of the border had a little more contrast, but it is as it is. I didn't have a lot of light candies. It's still in three columns, as I'm hoping to QAYG it myself...
Attached Thumbnails p1010001.jpg