2022 UFO challenge

Old 01-01-2023, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post

Now, all that being shared.....I am overwhelmed with my list of UFO's. I am going to pick just one today. It is my oldest, started in 2011. It just needs borders added. But, I am going to piece them. Working out the math will take me forever. That's only one of the reasons it stalled. lol, It is always a possibility that I can streamline the border if it doesn't work out. I truly want to finish this one. I loved every minute of participating in the sew along.

I have been away from the board for several years and have very much missed you all. I've enjoyed looking back and seeing all your finishes and have applauded your dedication to each project at hand.
Glad you've got a plan for your UFO's, Judith1005! I've been thinking about borders recently, too, and stumbled across this blog that I found helpful in coming up with new ideas and plans for how to approach them. I'm still pretty new to quilting and am learning so much about good quilting techniques with each project I work on so found going back to basics like this blog does helpful. I'm not sure how "pro" you are so this might be too simple, but maybe it will help you.

https://madamsew.com/blogs/sewing-bl...ers-for-quilts

Good luck!

Old 01-02-2023, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
I did a huge clean out of my sewing room recently and passed on quite a few kits and finished tops that I no longer wanted to be bothered with. Sometimes, letting go gives freedom in the present.They served a purpose at the time. And, I learned from making many of them. I also found that the excess was holding me hostage and I couldn't be creative anymore. I have not quilted actively in a long time. And, I truly miss it.

I also did a lot of thinking about what direction my quilting will take. Making these kind of decisions helps to focus. I get distracted easily. And, I decided that quilting smaller is a better avenue for me and saving the one or two big projects as a yearly thing. (Although, for now, I am just making a list of bigger quilts I would like to make in the future.) Possibly giving longer thought to the project will give me clarity to make sure the want is not just a passing fancy. Clarity, not just a passing fancy…. I like that. And I can stay focused to the completion of the project.

Now, all that being shared.....I am overwhelmed with my list of UFO's. I am going to pick just one today. It is my oldest, started in 2011. For me, I can’t decide what to work on. How did you choose? It just needs borders added. But, I am going to piece them. Working out the math will take me forever. Math. When doing round robins, rather than ruminate about math, I added filler strips to make it the length I wanted. That's only one of the reasons it stalled. lol, It is always a possibility that I can streamline the border if it doesn't work out. I truly want to finish this one. I loved every minute of participating in the sew along.

I have been away from the board for several years and have very much missed you all. I've enjoyed looking back and seeing all your finishes and have applauded your dedication to each project at hand.
welcome back.
Old 01-02-2023, 09:21 AM

Gemm, thank you for the link. I am so not an expert. And, I am terrible at Math. So I will definitely browse and see If I can learn something new.

Pet, I chose the oldest because it's a Spring Top. I would like to see it out if possible. And, I loved making the initial top. I'd just like it a bit bigger. Plus, since it was scrappy, I didn't have anything to finish it. A few years ago I found yardage in the right blue hues to compliment the top. As luck would have it, I still have the fabric set aside. Time to use it up. And thank you for the tip with the setting strips. I will definitely be using it. I have 2 tops that need specialty borders and I have the idea for both of them. The second will be easier then the first. It's going to be very free form.
Old 01-02-2023, 11:37 AM

I'm in for 2023. I have between 15 and 21 UFOs depending on how I count them -- some might be called WIPs because I've worked on them within a year. But I'm tempted to call them all UFOs going into 2023. I guess not important in the long run. Some of them only need borders and quilting/ binding but others are just pieces and partial blocks. My goal is to finish at least one a month in addition to the 3 simple charity quilts I've committed myself to in the Fabric Moratorium thread. That's a lot but is doable as long as I remain focussed. I'll be back on the new thread to share more.
Old 01-02-2023, 11:48 AM

I am defintely in for 2023. I bought myself a quilt planner for 2023 and at the moment I have 6 UFOs that I would like to get done this year. Of course that doesn't include some WIPs or the UFOs I have not put on my list yet.
Old 01-03-2023, 12:59 PM

A little bit closer to the finish. I think this is like the Boston Marrathon……one foot in front of the other, second wind will come, stay the course. The prize awaits.

want to quilt but….. daughter and hubby helped plant a large bush. I’ve heard their bite is wicked, just got a taste of Florida ants. Benedril, Tylenol, Cortizone cream and 1/2 hour later, my dominate hand still screams. With the cream, I can’t touch fabric. Think I’ll do some office mgmt.

As to choosing projects;
1. For group sewing, Want project that doesn’t require taking a machine, get a very small space. 2 hand sewing projects come to mind.
2. UFO’s are mostly quilting the sandwich, so do that at home. Think 1/mo would be good goal. Finish the current, pat myself on the back/maybe a back massage is called for. Don’t even think about another until February.
3. Finish quilt already started…..it’s not going to add to UFO!
And on and on…..Shiny objects not allowed.
Old 01-03-2023, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sync View Post
I am defintely in for 2023. I bought myself a quilt planner for 2023 and at the moment I have 6 UFOs that I would like to get done this year. Of course that doesn't include some WIPs or the UFOs I have not put on my list yet.
Quilt planner. Think that sounds good. Love to hear how that works. I have trouble staying the course. Shiny object. Poor focus. Too many ideas. Self-control. Need a helper, maybe a planner work?
Old 01-03-2023, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
A little bit closer to the finish. I think this is like the Boston Marrathon……one foot in front of the other, second wind will come, stay the course. The prize awaits.

want to quilt but….. daughter and hubby helped plant a large bush. I’ve heard their bite is wicked, just got a taste of Florida ants. Benedril, Tylenol, Cortizone cream and 1/2 hour later, my dominate hand still screams. With the cream, I can’t touch fabric. Think I’ll do some office mgmt.

As to choosing projects;
1. For group sewing, Want project that doesn’t require taking a machine, get a very small space. 2 hand sewing projects come to mind.
2. UFO’s are mostly quilting the sandwich, so do that at home. Think 1/mo would be good goal. Finish the current, pat myself on the back/maybe a back massage is called for. Don’t even think about another until February.
3. Finish quilt already started…..it’s not going to add to UFO!
And on and on…..Shiny objects not allowed.
PettheFabric, once the fire ant bite comes to a head, pop it, The venom will come out and it will heal quickly from there.
Old 01-03-2023, 01:35 PM

Petthefabric - Fire ants are nasty, be careful. When we lived in SC we had them in the pampas grass. and the kids and I would get bit. If you get bit what you did is the best only other thing I can say is soak the hand in ICE water!! Be careful of the blisters they can get infected. I was able to kill the mounds with the hot pine-sol water from washing the kitchen floor. The oil in the pine-sol coats the body's and they can't breathe.
Old 01-03-2023, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dedemac View Post
Petthefabric - .... I was able to kill the mounds with the hot pine-sol water from washing the kitchen floor. The oil in the pine-sol coats the body's and they can't breathe.
Oh, my the things we can learn here. I live where it is cold enough to frost the antenna off an ant but I heard they are seriously nasty. I get mosquitos the size of small birds so I guess we are even. Time to consider picking out a UFO from the closet to work on. Scrap busting or UFO.... difficult choices.