Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 12-29-2015, 08:32 AM

Joe'smom, I love that fabric as well. I think I got it in Joann's in the sale bins. I love to look in there when I go in to see what I can get that I wouldn't necessarily buy otherwise. But that one I love!

All the blocks that have been pictured have been great. Can't wait to see them all together in a top. I don't have enough knowledge of the various blocks to attempt to guess what we might end up with. I just enjoy the process along with you.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:30 AM

great blocks everyone. In past years it drove me crazy when sample block ideas would go up, this year it seems like a charming tradition

Found an inherited iron on the top shelf of my stash cupboard, hurray. Everyone in my family gave me their irons over the years as they quit using them. I'm down to one in reserve now.

Today I'm at the working wall test driving frame border ideas for my Tumbler.
Attached Thumbnails clue-5-kalamaquilts-2.jpg  
Old 12-29-2015, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

Pretty yellows in your blocks, BettyB....

Splinter, I love your layouts. Maybe for another quilt in the future, if not this one.

I HOPE this quilt isn't set on point! I get so confused with those.

Seems like I sewed and sewed yesterday and didn't even get halfway through my little clue 4 "envelopes" (that's what they look like to me-- little letters waiting to be mailed.) I feel like if I live through that clue I will be ready for anything. I am sewing pretty slowly for me, making sure to get the triangles all lined up right. It's worth it tho, as they are turning out pretty cute.

Here's the first half of my Clue 4 blocks:
Attached Thumbnails dsc02237.jpg  
Old 12-29-2015, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by baronreads View Post
Kristakz, I am going to take a look at the Quiltbug MQ as I also have a jelly roll I can use. I don't think i"ll be able to work on it NYD, but will definitely take a look at it. I've also bookmarked quilting.about.com, she says hers will be up for 3-4 months. Thanks!
Oh Thanks Kristakz I completely forgot about Quiltbug. I've done several of her NYD Mysteries.... they usually go pretty fast and make a good size quilt. After reading the Intro & first Clue for Merry Mayhem I will probably pass... sounds complicated.... but I might start Quiltbug and then stop for the OSU/ND game.... I too have a lot of unused Jelly Rolls!
Old 12-29-2015, 09:49 AM

Kalama, that is beautiful.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Pretty yellows in your blocks, BettyB....

Splinter, I love your layouts. Maybe for another quilt in the future, if not this one.

I HOPE this quilt isn't set on point! I get so confused with those.

Seems like I sewed and sewed yesterday and didn't even get halfway through my little clue 4 "envelopes" (that's what they look like to me-- little letters waiting to be mailed.) I feel like if I live through that clue I will be ready for anything. I am sewing pretty slowly for me, making sure to get the triangles all lined up right. It's worth it tho, as they are turning out pretty cute.

Here's the first half of my Clue 4 blocks:
I know the feeling... Clue 4 was endless. I LOVE your reds!
I managed to get all of my Clue 5 HST/Black square 4patches sewn (49 of them for 1/2 count clue)
I just have to press. I did try pressing one of them with seams open but didn't like it... still seemed lumpy to me. So I pressed and schmooshed the way Bonnie directed and even though I had a finished 4patch sitting RIGHT NEXT TO ME on the bed of my sewing machine so I wouldn't get the HST the wrong way but still managed to get one wrong! Easy fix. Should be all caught up by this afternoon.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539006[/ATTACH]

Bring on Clue #6!
Attached Thumbnails clue-5-3-.jpg  
Old 12-29-2015, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

Love your neutrals, Alvastitcher... I see some Beatrix Potter bunnies in there.

Kalama, your tumblers quilt is looking great so far.

I think I'm going to join those of you doing the Quiltbug.com mystery on NYD. I have a bunch of I Spy strips from a recent swap that I hope will make a cute quilt for a child.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

I pressed my clue 4 "envelopes" open along the long center joining seam. They did lie pretty flat after that.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:02 AM

Jeanne - I love your greys and blacks... your quilting is going to be gorgeous.
Kristakz - Purple is my favorite color - the combination of fabrics you picked is beautiful...can't wait to see it finished.
I haven't don't enough mystery scraps on this scale to venture out on my own with color so I stuck to Bonnie's suggestions... but maybe next time!

Splinter - I think you must be on the right track but WHAT is going in the center? Something that will finish 4" -- it's got to be some combination we haven't made yet...that's got to be what we're doing Friday, don't you think?
Old 12-29-2015, 10:09 AM

I was thinking that Friday might bring some neutral and black stripes.

sewbizgirl, did you notice that Bonnie specified pressing to the neutral on clue #4?

I think those clue #4 units would make a pretty cool looking border.

edit to add photo
Attached Thumbnails imgp1109-copy_fotor.jpg  

Last edited by joe'smom; 12-29-2015 at 10:25 AM.