Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
QB Flinging Flimsies - Mad Adders >

QB Flinging Flimsies - Mad Adders

QB Flinging Flimsies - Mad Adders

Old 03-28-2024, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by ShawneeOR View Post
I just dropped off the caveman round to our sweet Peckish. Got that finished at a quilt retreat this past weekend that I coordinated for my sewing group. Lots of work but lots of fun. Now to finalize her flimsy. =)

I am so sorry for not being more involved on the board. Sickness, travel, work all ended up taking my time. It's been great fun to see all the creativity though. I was a little disappointed with the actual "class" that Ricky led; I feel it wasn't very innovative or informative but still glad to have met you all!

ShawneeOR
Lucky to have a quilting retreat to get things done! Bravo! Time to Harmonize! Sickness can't be helped. Work can't be helped. Life always gets in the way when trying to be creative.

Here are a couple of my reflections. I was very challenged by the Tidbit round and the Caveman round. (Crumb and improvisational are the more recognized terms for the QB members that aren't in this particular challenge). I definitely would not have had the chance to meet other likeminded, willing to step out of their comfort zones, goddesses that you all are, if not for this challenge. Thank you all for taking the risk and trusting one another with our fabric. Everything I have seen screams talent and inspiration from all of you. It is wonderful to bask in the joy of this project. Life may be yanking at us in all sorts of directions but the pure spirit of love from this project is likely to uplift us all when we think about it years from now. I am hoping that rewatching the videos over time will give me more glimmers of creativity, too. I like that the videos are ours to use always. Ricky sure did give us tons of examples of everything he wanted us to work on. And I can't wait to see what you have done to my Mardi Gras quilt starter!!! This is so much fun now that we are almost done!
Old 03-28-2024, 10:38 AM

Location: I live in Vero Beach, Florida but am originally from Massachusetts.

I have to agree with you Shawnee, his classes for this left something to be desired. I was surprised because I have taken another class of his and learned a ton. Found it well worth the investment. This one 🤷🏻‍♀️. Cheap enough and having never done a RR, I am glad to have done it. Plus I got to meet this hurtle 😎
Also if anyone wants to check out his Kaleidoscope class it’s a four part project on YouTube. Free, and the quilts are gorgeous!
Juana, thanks for mentioning to send pictures! I forgot to do that this round!
Old 03-31-2024, 01:06 PM

Okay I *think* I have caught up. I am sending Joyce's off to Ibex today, and am also emailing her a self-portrait with hat.

Now to start working on Ibex's Mardi Gras.... I will admit to being a bit confused about the Mardi Gras comments until I received it, lol.

Is there anything else I need to do, anything I missed?

My mom is coming over later tonight so I can help her figure out the Kindle I bought (originally I got it for my grandmother because she's read all the large-print books in the library, and the font size on the Kindle is adjustable. But she couldn't grasp how to download e-books from the library, so she gave it to my mom). Mom likes to listen to audible books when she goes to bed; up until now she's been listening to them on her 10 year old tablet. But they updated the app beyond the old tablet's abilities, and she thought the error message she was getting was another scam. Sigh. I feel so bad for her - every day there's another challenge.
Old 03-31-2024, 02:36 PM

I've been thinking a lot about my feelings regarding this challenge. I hate to say it, but I'm rather disappointed in Ricky's lessons. I *have* taken a class from him in the past. Maybe I expected too much. I was hoping for a bit more instruction with the designing part of the challenge; ie color theory, composition, lines & gestures, etc. I feel that I overpaid for "make an alternate log cabin" and "make triangles".

I agree with Joyce - It would have been nice if Ricky could have looked at some people's projects and given some feedback and suggestions. I also agree with Ibex that it was a little frustrating to not be able to discuss with others. I think it would have been a lot of fun to share ideas and suggestions within the other groups. For instance, I'm Number 5 on our list, it would have been a hoot to communicate, do show & tell and give feedback with the Number 5s in the other groups! It wouldn't have been giving anything away within our group and probably would have stimulated my creativity a lot more.
Old 03-31-2024, 11:39 PM

Peckish, you have SUCH good ideas here! When I signed on, I was hoping for just that sort of learning experience and interaction with other quilters that you describe. And it didn't really help that our little group are all so far apart ....can't meet up to actually meet each other...
Ibex tried to get us together on zoom, but that didn't seem to mesh with everyone's schedules or circumstances.
and then, shipping costs were really pretty high!
You, Joyce, Shawnee, Ibex, Yiaya, Ricky could really benefit from all your feed back for next time...
Old 04-02-2024, 06:43 PM

This is feedback that Ricky needs to hear. Maybe he will let us join a different class for free!

The picture of our team has been submitted to the Mad Adder Gallery and has been sent to your personal email address. We are an awesome bunch of Hatted Adders! Thank you for playing along for that picture. For privacy purposes, I am not posting it in the QB.

Tomorrow's meeting, May 29 deadline for the finished quilt, and June for the final showcase.

We will have our team reveal on April 16 via zoom. Anyone have a preferred time? Keep in mind we have folks from the west coast to the east coast here. 6 pm on the west coast will be 9 pm on the east coast. Is 6 pm west coast time good for everyone?

Last edited by ibex94; 04-02-2024 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 03:14 AM

6 pm West Coast time is good for me! I have put my box in a cabinet; out of sight but not out of mind!
Is Janet going to be joining us? I’m hoping that she will.
As much of a fan of Mr. Tims that I am, I would not want a free class as I would think it would be a repeat RR. His other classes are considerably more expensive. I will probably do his second Locomotion class next. The first one, I recommend.
I will be driving to the airport to pick up my daughter this morning so I will probably listen only to today’s class and rewatch it later.
If anyone has not received their fabric and label from me, please let me know. I have tracking numbers for them all.
Joyce and Shawnee, I had no reds on hand when I sent the fabrics out. I will get back to you both the next time I do any dying. Pretty sure I have a couple of different reds, hopefully I can get some made up after my daughter’s visit.
Thank you all for the fun and a special thanks to Juana for being such a great leader!
Old 04-03-2024, 06:21 AM

Thank you, Yiaya! It ain't over yet. I sent Mr. Ricky's assistant an email with an explanation of our names on the photo. I hope she can reach him to tell him about it so he can talk about it on his video today. We are an awesome team!

If you want to take a look now at your flimsy, I will not object. We have to have our flimsy quilted with pictures submitted to the gallery by the end of May so if you think you may need more than a month to get that done, go ahead and get started. Be sure to take a picture of yourself holding the flimsy before you start working on it. You are going to love it!!

I have not heard from WesternWilson. WesternWilson, will you be able to join us for the group reveal?
Old 04-03-2024, 07:28 AM

No way I am waiting for the reveal!
Old 04-03-2024, 08:20 AM

BTW, I have heard from WesternWilson, just not about the reveal party on APRIL 16, 6 PM WESTERN TIME. I should make a cute invite like the one that the Frank'nStichers made.

There is a new email in your personal email box regarding the labeling of the pictures that WesternWilson gets to do. If any of you feel uncomfortable about uploading your pictures into the Mad Adder Flinging Flimsy gallery, I can do it for you.

Western -- when you send each of us our 6 pictures, please cc me so I have a copy in case I need to do someone's uploads. Thanks!

Yiaya is going to wait to look at her treasure. I don't know how you can stand it!! Peckish is going to hold onto my flimsy until after I return from my conference so she will get to show it at our reveal party on April 16. Thank you Peckish!

We can post pictures in the quiltingboard AFTER our reveal party for the others that have been wondering what we have been up to.

Great to see Shawnee and Plix causing trouble in today's session with Mr. Ricky!! I know some of you had other things going on this morning. I sure hope everyone's activities are going as planned and the weird weather isn't hurting any of you. It is nice and springy down here in Mississippi. I was clearing out poison ivy from my fenceline yesterday to plant some morning glories along it. We had to remove a huge water oak as it was leaning badly. Now I have a lot of sunshine on that fence. I have some seeds from my father's morning glory fenceline and bought some other varieties as well. Let's see if I can grown any in this Mississippi clay.