Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hiding Fabric Purchases >
  • Hiding Fabric Purchases

• Hiding Fabric Purchases

Old 08-04-2011, 05:20 AM

wish dh was alive but never hid anything from him and we were married 42 years
    Old 08-04-2011, 05:35 AM

One of my boys was mad because I wouldn't buy him a toy he wanted and told his teacher that I spent all my money on fabric. She told me this when I went for conference. He also drew pictures of naked women on the blackboard. That I found out from a friend that worked at school. He turned out great!
    Old 08-04-2011, 05:41 AM

I used to hide my purchases, but little by little my DH has shown more and more encouragement in my hobby. He bought me an Oliso iron, made my big board (after MANY head-aches), made me two "basting boards" the other day (so I could baste the Sharon Schambers method) then watched what I did with the boards, and he repeatedly tells me I need to re-organize the room and make suggestions for doing it. Oh ... he even bought me an embroidery machine recently, I didn't even ask for one! Heck ... he even picked out the fabric (from my stash) for the beach bag I made for us.

So, I no longer have a need to hide stash. Now I show him the pretties I bought and tell him my plans for it. Most of time he fakes paying attention

My husband mad me 2 different size light boxes for paper piecing for me.
    Old 08-04-2011, 05:41 AM

Had to chuckle at your comment about your husband at the golf store. One of the ladies in our quilting group told him when he questioned all her fabric purchases..."When you start playing golf with a stick and a rock, I'll stop using fabric to make quilts".....he has never made a comment about her fabric shopping again!!!!
    Old 08-04-2011, 05:43 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter

I also agree but it seems that noone wants to engage with our view in this thread... :?
    Are you saying you're disappointed nobody wants to argue with you? LOL*

[/quote]

Yeah! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, you're right, the OP intended this as a light-hearted thread and I'm sorry for trying to stir things up. :oops: :D
    Old 08-04-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by jeank
    My husband knows I love to shop and go to quilt shops. He sees the bags come in. I just don't announce what it cost. He doesn't really care. I take care of the bills and they are always paid. Jean
    This sounds just like us, though we've only been married 37 years! My husband loves to hunt, and he doesn't tell me what his stuff costs either. He supports my quilting and loves to see my finished projects, even though most are given away. Oh, he doesn't truly understand my desire to have piles and piles of fabric, but he knows I will use it eventually.
    Old 08-04-2011, 05:49 AM

Once years ago my husband's father told him he should curtail me on the shopping. Husband told him he didn't care as long as old the bills are paid how much I spend. That was 26 years ago. Husband has 3 electric and 1 acustic guitar and 2 amps and a violin and all the little goodies to go with them.
    Old 08-04-2011, 05:52 AM

My husband has all the big tools things I have bought him over the years; table saw, drills,belt sander, scroll saw, etc. The basement is full of all that stuff.
    Old 08-04-2011, 05:58 AM

my husband also has a boat and fishing stuff on top of all his tools and guitars!
    Old 08-04-2011, 06:00 AM

I'm very lucky in that I own my own business and work at home. The mail/UPS usually arrives before my husband gets home so I can unwrap and put up anything without him seeing it. He doesn't like that I have so much but doesn't say a lot as it's my money. He is right though - I have more fabric than I can ever use but with prices going up and retirement coming shortly I know I'll have to stop buying then so I just like to stock up now --- including some I just bought from you, JuneC