Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine.... >

I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine....

I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine....

Old 06-07-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Caro
If my total knee was much better I would try cleaning up my sewing room...want to move a pair of stacked night stands to my bedroom and take my "doll house" cabinet into sewing room.

Hubby bought some shelving from a store going out of business for my fabric so I need to fold it on boards...have started doing some on foam core board cut to "size". I would like to free up some space to put a futon or daybed...maybe...or put up a cutting table...maybe...or...

I am impressed with everything you all have done. Thanks for sharing.
I was going to use the boards for folding my fabric but I have found that if I fold my fabric in half lengthwise and fold it around my 6" ruler, it fits perfectly on my book case shelves. For my smaller pieces and fat quarters, I fold them around my 4" ruler. I can still see what I have. And I didn't incur any more cost! In the photo, this is just one of my 3 bookcases. Fabric is sorted by colors. The top shelf of this book case holds my FQ's and all my smaller pieces of fabric as well as my charm's and square sets.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-208412.jpe  
Old 06-07-2011, 07:43 PM

I had a friend come over and "organize" my sewing room. It does look a little better but I have gone backward too. The piles are smaller though, and the furniture takes up a lot of room too. Have to make the excuses you know. Don't feel like the lone ranger, we do have to have fabric, machines, ironing board, and cutting table and zillions of scissors, rotary cutters, ect. LOL
Old 06-07-2011, 07:48 PM

Mine is the same, if not worse! I buy too much, but it is so tempting! My brain works faster than my hands! Just got back from a 2 day quilt shop hop and guess what!? More fabric and books. I can either spend all my time cleaning and sorting or actually make something! It does have to be done sometime though, or it just gets where you can't move! It doesn't take it long to get it that way either!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by lindyline
No, you're not the only one, but if anyone else asks,I'm denying it.
Ditto. I have the back portion of the basement and I've managed to leave a U shaped walking area. My DH also pointed out that I have also taken up most of one couch in the family room before my "sewing" area. Someone has to use it! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 06-07-2011, 11:51 PM

My sil and I made a nice sewing room for me in the family room and when I went down to fix up a tastefully simple order for one of my clients when I picked up the box off the floor it was wet. Looked over here I had excess water on the floor soaked up in the carpet, traveled up the boards on the back of my shelving and my material was damp. Hopefully I can just stick it in the dryer for a few and it'll be okay. I was thinking I was lucky my sewing table was to high and my husband had to put a 4*4 under my pedal or I could have gotten shocked when I was down there sewing . I never wear shoes. So back to square one rooms a mess I cut up all the carpet dragged it out to the trash. now waiting for the big decision to re carpet or just put a couple of rugs down. Put everything up on blocks and pray it dosent get moldy
Old 06-08-2011, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by bjeriann
Where in Alabama are you? If we are close enough. I'll help you and you can help me. I'm just outside of Tuscaloosa.
I'm way on the opposite side of the tornado streak in Huntsville.
I'm going to get back in there today. I love the 15 minute flylady idea - and think I'm going to do that - set the timer and work for 15 minutes and run with it. It does look loads better than it did a year ago.

I will say that if I don't make friends with that quilting machine I will sell it - or just use it as a sit down. I'm glad to have that flexibility. I'm just horrid at keeping the backs wrinkle free so I thought the frame would be my salvation... right now it is more of space hog lol.

I'm so glad that I posted this - it's great to have everyone come out of their messy craft closets lol.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:16 AM

Don't measure yourself against others. We all have to work with what we have, what makes us happy, and what makes us productive! :)
Old 06-08-2011, 06:18 AM

Definitely you're not alone. You should see mine. LOL
Old 06-08-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
I have to say that I keep seeing some amazing pictures of sewing rooms - big, spacious, organized, decluttered... You can see the floor and can physically get to the closet without needing mountain climbing gadgets...

Then there's mine.......
My room is 11' squared pretty much - and it is overflowing and unmanageable for the most part. It has more big furniture in there than it is suppose to have and is set up like a maze just so you can get to the closet.

I have cleaned partially then gone in there, searching for something and then get it all destroyed again. Yes, I know... I need to clean it COMPLETELY and then keep up with it. That has been my problem... not getting it completely cleaned. This summer, once I get caught up on everything, I need to get in there for a few days and get it done.....

I can't be the only one... can I?
I'm not sure if I am brave enough to post pictures of it. It doesn't have heaping piles in there, okay, maybe one but that's because I was actually piecing yesterday and pushed a bunch of material in to a pile. That was my fault completely. I'll fix that today - I swear it :D
Ahhh sounds like mine. I was using the guest room (small) and the closet in there. Youngest son just moved back (split up) and now it goes back into my room. luckily I have a large bedroom and a corner window perfect to sit by. Moving stuff to day. Going under bed, in cabinets in bathroom etc etc. sigh...
Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 AM

I have one room that holds my quilting, my office and my cake decorating. I had my DGD come in and help me two weekends in a row and we did all of the fabric. We had a donate pile, a UFO pile and put back in by color pile. We also put on the top shelf that were hard to reach the special project fabrics ( chenile, velvet, silks for crazy quilts, etc since these were so large and heavy and the silks really don't like hand prints) and on we went on little cubby at a time. DGD loves to fold and put in the cubbys so we teamed it and took little snack breaks.. we had a yummy time with a shared movie at the end of each day. When the fabric was done I am afraid the rest was mine. Oh boy. So I started on the UFOs, only two left. They will be there awhile since it is now over 90 degrees and they are queen size. So I went on the the folded Christmas balls for a charity Christmas event. DGD and I knocked off about 40 and used up scads of Xmas fabrics -oh boy. What do I pick next? The crazy quilt. Here it is June, and I am on square 11. The only good thing is that you only work on a 12 x 12 inch square at a time so it is not hot, but this will take awhile so the quilt, office, cake, room straightening is put off once again. So you really are not alone.