I'm a Grandma!!!!

Old 12-29-2009, 04:48 PM

Patti....you are ONLY a days drive away!!
And according to Mapquest, it's only about 5 1/2 hours!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 04:52 PM

Hey Terri - just remember...this too shall pass!!!

As for the reading, learning, etc. I really believe each child has their own timetable! Some are ready to absorb at 3, some at 6...but every parent has to learn that on their own. No matter what we say or do...

How lucky you are to have those little babies...I wish you many happy times with them. So if you move to VA, how far will you be from them??
Old 12-29-2009, 04:53 PM

Congratulations from across the pond! what beautiful children. just think of all the things you can make for them!
Old 12-29-2009, 04:57 PM

I know that this too shall pass, but it's just grating on my nerves. They were talking about sending them to some school that only speaks a foreign language during the day, not English. Then getting them into a Magnete (sp) school, yada, yada, yada. I'm just wondering HOW or WHERE all this money is coming from for them to do this. Just seems that they are turning into snobs, which is NOT the way Lauren was raised and meeting Donny's mom, I know he wasn't raised like that.
Maybe I just need to get out for a bit.
Just tired of hearing what the babies need and whatnot. The babies are a week old for crying out loud...let them grow!
Old 12-29-2009, 05:12 PM

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND YOUR KIDS! Geesh, didn't they just get married a few weeks ago??? LOL The babies are absolutely adorable. You're all so lucky to get one of each. At this point, the kids just want what they think is the VERY best for their babies. I'm for the old fashioned way of raising them but, hey, doesn't hurt to try new things. I'm so happy for all of you. I'm getting another grandson in April, or sooner. Now we get to say........................,"Go, Granny, go". You will get used to the more hectic pace. You're just out of shape, LOL xoxoxo God Love all of you!
Old 12-29-2009, 05:18 PM

I think I'm just irrated at the fact they they are thinking this way. I'm sure once they are smacked and come to their senses, things will be better. lol

I think tomorrow I am going to go for a ride. I need it.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:19 PM

Hey Terri, i know and understand (((hugs))) Our daughter was single mom and living with us when she had Elisa. She had her own ideas for sure, and had to keep my silence so many times. Like she bought these baby education videos lol, uhmmm, baby watched them all of 3 times before Cathy realized, baby doesnt like these, and they are boring lol. So that didnt last long. My sister put her little girl in french immersion school last year for grade one, they only speak french, no english, and poor little morgan came home from school each day crying and stressed. So now she has her in regular public school this year, and she's doing much better. Oh yeah, and our daughter had the idea, once elisa was crawling and stuff, if she just babyproofed the place real good, baby could crawl around house, and cathy could go back to bed! Sorry, no home is baby proof enough for that. And of course, the newest craze, attachment parenting, having your baby sleep in your bed with you...yup, cathy did that, so she didnt have to get out of bed in middle of night to nurse elisa, well do you know how many times each night me and dan would go into her room, to check to see if elisa was ok, and hadnt rolled over with her nose in the soft mattress, because no bed mattress is as firm as a crib mattress. I don't know, i get it Terri, especially the snobism. I've gotten that from cathy too. If you don't say too much, then when something like edu videos doesnt work out, they dont have to deal with mom might say told you so LOL. I learned to just say, oh yeah, that sounds different, interesting idea. And of course, cathy was going to put elisa into some special artsy fartsy school, where they learn at their own pace lol, i just said, oh yeah, nice :) But cathy never did that either. They will talk a big talk, but not do everything they say. They're just excited, it's their first babies, and i think new parents go through that phase, that's all it is. I'm so glad you were there for the birth though, that is so special, and so glad everything went good. Hang in there hon...how long are yo there for?
Old 12-29-2009, 05:34 PM

i think parents start off with all sorts of grand plans for their kids, once everything settles down you will find that the available money and temperament of the children will dictate the school choices etc. Just concentrate on those cherubs and being a Grandma for them. They may need your moral support along the way. My Grandma taught me to craft and i shall always adore her for that.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:58 PM

Yeah, I've seen the ads for those video "reading" programs and I just laugh. Sure the kid may be decoding and saying words but they sure aren't reading, because they don't have a clue what the story is about. The best way to teach kids to read is to read to and with them from birth. OK, I'm climbing off my teacher soapbox now.

Before I had kids, I would tell my mom all these things I had planned for them too. She would just nod and smile and say wait until you have kids. I learned all the common sense stuff she told me and got for me worked and all the frou-frou stuff I got didn't. She was right but, shhhh, don't tell her.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
I think I'm just irrated at the fact they they are thinking this way. I'm sure once they are smacked and come to their senses, things will be better. lol

I think tomorrow I am going to go for a ride. I need it.
While you're out, stop by a fabric store!!! That'll put a smile right back on your face.... :D