Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Eye" Spy Quilts ... some questions!! >

"Eye" Spy Quilts ... some questions!!

"Eye" Spy Quilts ... some questions!!

Old 10-14-2011, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

I just finnished one with 5 inch squares. I think that is a bit small and I just pieced the blocks together as I did not want to loose anything. I think 6 1/2- even 8 inch is ideal. Many people sell 5-6 inch because you can get many squares out of 1 yard that way with minimal or no waste. So if you buy precut squares you might find you are limited because of that. I bought many FQ and 1/2 yards myself too and cut those in to 6 1/2 and 8 inch squares. I did not take a picture of the toddler quilt with the 5 inch squares yet. But it is just squares sewn together and two borders.

Made from 8 in. squares. Pattern Anita Grossman Solomon
[ATTACH=CONFIG]271060[/ATTACH]

6 1/2 in. squares Many repeats as i did not have many different fabrics yet. Pattern Anita Grossman Solomon
[ATTACH=CONFIG]271061[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-271007.jpe   attachment-271008.jpe  
Old 10-14-2011, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by soccertxi
here are 2 pictures of what I call my 'cheater' I spy. I.........
Great idea on the reworked hexagon/snowball idea. And WTG on using the trimmings for the geese. I've been thinking of a non-square design .... will see what happens! And I really do like your red for the main colour!

And I see your avatar is a cousin to my avatar!!! First I've noticed here on the Board. And looks like you did the same as me, and used a tone on tone for your black!! Would really like to see the full quilt .... pretty please? and Thanks!
Old 10-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

Here are pictures of the quilt I just finnished. It has 5 in. squares many I bought off this board, some were gifted and some I cut from stash. The truck/car border fabric I also bought of this board.

For 2 year old Lesander who likes trucks, cars and everything.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]271250[/ATTACH]

Curious George backing.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]271251[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-271197.jpe   attachment-271198.jpe  
Old 10-14-2011, 01:16 PM

Here is one I made for Project Linus last year.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-271200.jpe  
Old 10-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltbugs
Stunning! I especially like the narrow sashing in between.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Sizes? 3-5 inches seem to be the best. 6 inches was fine, but a tad larger than it needed to be.

I would say between 2 and 4. My cousin's daughter still loves her eye spy quilt and she's now 6.

Don't make it complicated, but do include as many things as you can. I did a reversible quilt featuring Mickey Mouse on the other side because I wanted to practice the reversible technique before doing a larger quilt. You might consider having something for an older child on the flip side just so that they use the quilt longer. :)

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL252.../171370384.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL252.../171370381.jpg
Old 10-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by soccertxi
here are 2 pictures of what I call my 'cheater' I spy. I call it that because the original I Spy was done in hexagons and small triangles. WAY to many fabrics and too fussy for me! I start with a 6.5 inch sq and add 3.5 in triangles in 2 opposite corners. (be consistent with the corners!) I do the method where you put a sq in the corner and sew on the diagonal. The left over triangle squares are sewn together and then matched with another one to make flying geese. I use them in the border. Big brothers and sisters love to play match game! If I have any novelty squares left over, I either save them in an I spy stash, or if i dont' like them much(!) I use them on the pieced backing. I just learned I really like a solid for the triangles and border! Not sure I like the polka dot...

PS if you would like to see how I do those blocks, I can post a picture of a 'block in progress". You can start with any size block that you like, just making the corner triangle bigger or smaller to fit...
Very clever!
Old 10-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Originally Posted by quiltbugs
Stunning! I especially like the narrow sashing in between.
QuiltBugs ... ITA ... your sashing really seems to have pulled the fabrics together. Plus of course, allowed each to pop and shine on its own.

Annaquilts ... Great selection of fabrics .... the close up has really helped with ideas as to what to include. I didn't think I had much in my stash, though I'm starting to think I have more than I thought!
Old 10-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned
Sizes? 3-5 inches seem to be the best. 6 inches was fine, but a tad larger than it needed to be.

I would say between 2 and 4. My cousin's daughter still loves her eye spy quilt and she's now 6.

Don't make it complicated, but do include as many things as you can. I did a reversible quilt featuring Mickey Mouse on the other side because I wanted to practice the reversible technique before doing a larger quilt. You might consider having something for an older child on the flip side just so that they use the quilt longer. :)

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL252.../171370384.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL252.../171370381.jpg
You must know me!!! ... by telling me to NOT make it complicated! I can overthink and do that all too easily!!! Thanks for your pics ... great idea to practice your QAYG on this one before the big project. And thanks too, for the ages/sizes info.

Anyone and Everyone ... do you include two blocks, when they are the same subject (eg. cats), though different fabrics and colours? Or do you tend to keep to only one of a subject?
Old 10-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

I try to keep one of each subject--gives a greater variety for kids to find.