Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So.... I went to JoAnn's today and ................ >

So.... I went to JoAnn's today and ................

So.... I went to JoAnn's today and ................

Old 07-12-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by GailG
TALK? There was no one else around. One poor little girl asked if she could go to the bathroom and the "cutter" said, "Honey you will have to wait. I have to walk you there. Can you wait?" When I left (after waiting a long time at the checkout), the little girl was still hanging around, waiting.

After all this time has passed, I see that it was perhaps not a big deal, but I was stunned when she rounded it off in their favor. And when I got home, I measured to see if she had given a generous cut. Nope. Still under 5 yards.

But you know what. I'm done. I've left it behind and I'm movin' on. Thanks for the input. Gail
Poor girl!! never seen that! Lucky she could wait!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:48 AM

Yeah, that's about what it's like at ours. The ladies working don't seem to get upset, but what makes me crazy is that there is no organization. You wait forever at the cutting counter with no way to tell who's next, except to depend on the honesty of others - which GENERALLY works! But then you have to head up to the front of the store and head into ANOTHER line. I used to manage a Joann store 30 years ago, and we would cut, and then check out the same person. Seemed to work better.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:48 AM

You went to JoAnn's huh? Why? I've gone so far as to talk to headquarters after complaining online. It makes no difference at all. Attitude comes from the top; they don't have enough staff for their sales and the employees are not happy. Therefore, I avoid the place like the plague. Even the restrooms aren't managed well....or, at all. You can smile and make nice with them and still end up leaving frustrated and disappointed. Nix on JoAnn's.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:58 AM

Aside from JoAnn's, our city has only one other "big" all-pupose fabric store: Hancock's. They're more friendly and helpful but they don't seem to stock quality fabrics; so it's not a one-stop shopping experience. More frustation. When looking for fabrics like voile, lawn, etc., for lightweight sewing, I need to find a manufacturer's description, then check out Etsy and other online sites. Shopping's a full time job anymore and I'm one of those who wants to feel the fabric before it's cut. Such a bother.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:01 AM

Unfortunately, the JoAnn's where I live closed down years ago when Wal-Mart came in. I was there so often I actually got a Christmas card from them! Our Wal-Mart is scheduled for a makeover in April, but the manager's wife said she didn't know that they were cutting out the fabrics. She's supposed to check for me.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:06 AM

I'm fortunate to live in an area where I have a half-dozen or so JoAnn's to choose from. Some are better than others. One store in town is always mobbed and understaffed, while another one has plenty of staff, but few customers. If you can, find another JoAnn where the service is better. Don't write off the whole company.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:11 AM

I feel so fortunate that we have a pretty good Joann's. Actually we have many of them. But the super store is my favorite. Yes, you have to wait (they do have you get a number) but you have to wait everywhere these days. Fast food, bank, grocery store, etc. For me the problem of waiting is that it tends to make me buy more stuff that I shouldn't! LOL

I worry with posts like these that it will make people avoid their local store based on the experience of someone else. Not all Joann's are run like this. What is really happening is the lack of good customer service everywhere. People are so stressed with their problems at home that they don't always make the best employees. And a lot of the work ethic starts in our schools. The schools here are horrid and the kids come out of them with no sense of accountability.

Ok..off my soap box! :) :)
Old 07-12-2010, 08:12 AM

I have only had positive experiences at our Joann's. They are always willing to answer my questions or help me find what I need. I never go on the first day of a sale though. Plus, having worked in retail, I am a much more patient customer now. Short staffing is a pain, but it isn't the clerk's fault. I did go to a fabric store out of town and the clerks were really taking their good old time and not helpful at all. I put my fabric back and left. Life is too short to get irritated.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Teacup
I guess I'm fortunate. I've almost always had positive experiences at the two JoAnns in Springfield, IL, as well as one in Bloomington, IL. Staff are generally helpful and positive. Sometimes there is a bit of a wait, but most of the time it's not too long.
I am also fortunate at the two JA's that I shop, both being 45 min away (in different directions) am greeted and recognized by the staff. They are very helpful and knowledgeable, and yes sometimes there is a waiting line; but, they usually call for more help.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:35 AM
cjk

I went to Joanne's a couple of weeks ago. I was looking for a 1/4" foot for my singer machine. I asked the lady working in that department if they had any. Her answer was " Singer doesn't make a 1/4" foot." I thought to myself "you've got to be kidding!" I told her that I knew they did because I saw them online at singer.com. She told me that it would be better if I ordered it online because they would have to get it from their warehouse in Tennessee. ( I'm in Ohio) By this time I'm thinking.. this woman doesn't want to sell me anything. When I thank her for her time she tells me " Be careful when you order the foot cause singer doesn't make a true 1/4" foot". Now I'm thinking this woman doesn't like Singer. I just shake my head at her and walk off. I ordered it online and don't have a problem with it. Cant say I won't go back because here we don't have a lot of different choices.