Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients >

Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients

Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients

Old 12-28-2011, 07:22 PM

Wow, I can relate with made from love gifts, given to some of my family. I was going to make a very special lap quilt for my Mother but sad to say I changed my mind when I remembered how my other gifts I made for her ended up, never to be seen again. I have an older sister who will really appreciate a quilt from me, as she has everything I have made her.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:11 PM

When I would return the finished quilt I would include a letter stating how many hours of devotion and love you poured into this handmade gift for them, someone you care for very much. I would do it tastefully so you don't come off sounding like a meanie, and I would hand write the letter. When I give a quilt out, I explained to the the amount of time and love that goes into the quilt.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:24 PM

Well I read all the posts and it sounds as though they did not choose the colors or patterns for the quilt. Maybe they didn't like the quilt. Perhaps it wasn't their taste. A king size quilt is a big quilt. To tell you the truth, I would never make something this big for someone without knowing exactly what colors they would like. Or, they were disappointed that the quilt wasn't completed. Either way it's awkward and disappointing for you. I'd ask them if they still want it when it's quilted because of their lukewarm reaction. I'm sure you have others who would be thrilled to receive one of your beautiful quilts.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:35 PM

I understand how you feel. I think you should finish the quilt and give it to them ,since you sorta already did. Then according to their responce at that time, you can determine if you should ever give them another hand made gift. I'm sure you made it with love, don't let them spoil your joy. If you're like me , love quilting and enjoy gifting my creations. keep doing what you feel good doing.....Post a picture of that wonderful creation, and let us see it, and watch all the compliments.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:37 PM

I am sure the reaction will be different when they receive the finished quilt. Had I received a pieced top before I started quilting, my first thought would have been "What in the .... am I supose to do with this?" And, even now I can't always see the true beauty of some patterns until it has been quilted and the binding added. However, if they show little reaction after you give them the finish quilt, don't make them anything else.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:33 AM

I had this happen to me too. I made a little mini quilt for my MIL for Christmas. I tell you working with tiny squares is just as much work as a big quilt. I stayed up late to hand bind it so we could give it to her. She took a cursory glance and folded it up and laid it away beside the chair, where it lay for the rest of the day. I mulled this thing over at length. Why is it so deflating when your hard work doesn't seem appreciated? I mean, like, what do I want? A lot of oohing and ahing and flattery? It just seems like when you invest so much of yourself and sacrifice sleep and what not, it's a bit difficult to graciously accept the fact that this piece is not as precious to them as you thought. I did tell my husband that after this I was only gonna give handmade items to my children!
Old 12-29-2011, 04:30 AM

Finish the quilt as you intended. It was a thoughtful gift on your part to give.

Yes, most people have no idea the amount of time and labor that goes into a quilt, let alone the cost.

I recently gave a quilt to someone who had been in a car accident, survived but had serious injuries. She loved
the quilt and I think it has comforted her during a needed time of caring. I rarely give quilts away other than baby quilts or a special need I see.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:47 AM

I think many of us who make "home-made" items have gotten a reaction we did not expect. Good or bad. You did promise them something so follow thru with it. My family does not like home-made items and I have been aware of this for a long time and I don't give them quilts. But since the family reacted in a way you did not expect, don't be upset. Just finish what you started and give it to them. Who knows...maybe once it is all done there could be a more positive reaction. If there is not, then you know someone does not understand all the hard work and planning that goes into making a quilt. But if you finish this one you can say you made good on your promise and that is more important than someone's reaction to something. Not everyone likes the same things we do.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:48 AM

I think that a quilt is like anything else hand made. What if you had knit a woolen sweater starting with raw fleece, washed it, carded it, spun it, knit it, and it absolutely didn't fit the person you gave it to? The person could leave it draped out on a piece of furniture, put it in a shadow box frame, put it in the closet, most anything, but you really wouldn't expect them to wear it. Some quilts don't "fit" the person any better than a wrong size sweater would.

Last edited by TanyaL; 12-29-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by sewgray View Post
If they don't quilt maybe it is hard for them to imagine the finished product. I do think this happens to all of us sooner or later. If you don't get a better reaction when you take it back to them then I wouldn't make them anything else.
This seems to be an age-old complaint. The above post suggests that it may be hard to imagine the finished product. Perhaps it would have been better to give a nice card with a picture of the unfinished quilt and the promise for having it back to her within the next month. We always imagine that the recipient will be "thrilled" to see our work (ad most of the time they are) but some people just don't express their joy and appreciation in the same way. I'm sorry you were disappointed by her reaction and hope that once she sees the finished quilt, she will express her appreciation better.