Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend--November 9-11, 2018 >
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend--November 9-11, 2018

• Virtual Quilting Weekend--November 9-11, 2018

Old 11-11-2018, 07:54 AM

Thimblebug, are you making a row by row quilt? They are fun. I made one two years ago when the theme was "Home Sweet Home". It's on the wall in my upstairs sewing room and I have yet to get tired of looking at it. For this year, I only bought one "music" row and plan to border it and make a wall hanging.[/QUOTE]

I collected patterns and a few kits this year, have finished a few but have so many other projects that I am working on, that not sure how many I will complete. I preferred the years when it was all rows, easier to figure out a layout for me... 2018 has squares and rows..so we will see how far I go.
    Old 11-11-2018, 08:09 AM

Just got back from my trip to the Phoenix area last night. Was visiting a friend who is quite an accomplished quilter herself, we were roommates somewhere around 1982 or so She helped me with photoshopping a picture for a different friend's retirement quilt. That friend just retired after a career of teaching and I'm making an alphabet lap quilt in her honor, very simple just squares representing the different letters of the alphabet, photo was her face put on a supergirl cartoon clip art body for the S square. Today I'll put some stars in the corners and then finish putting the rows together and then the borders. Should be no problem to have the top done today/tomorrow in time to bring as show and tell for my Tuesday small group.

While I was there I shopped her stash and cut the final blades for my Thanksgiving turkey themed fan quilt, 200+ different fabrics total. Of course we visited a couple LQS and I have some cactus/landscape fabrics bought to prewash and cut for my postcard quilt in addition to my laundry.

Still debating if I'm too wiped out or not to go but there is quilt show not too far away I could/would like to go to.
    Old 11-11-2018, 08:53 AM

Update on my weekend. I finally caved in and ordered a printer that will enlarge as there are at least 5 blocks that have a template that needs enlarging. So I'll have to wait for that to get here next week. It sounds as if I could have figured out how to calculate and then draw it out, but this will be least complicated and not waste fabric. I began to run low on that nice red, and then cut 7 strips a quarter too narrow......shaking head in disgust.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]603842[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 20181111_110735_resized.jpg  
    Old 11-11-2018, 09:15 AM
    Power Poster

Battle axe, that sashing is a real zinger! Really adds a lot of spice to the quilt! Looking beautiful so far. Into the scrap bin with those 7 red strips... to be used later in something else!
    Old 11-11-2018, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs
    Grannies G, can you tell us the name of the arrow quilt and where to get the pattern. I love it and would like to make one too. Thanks.
    The arrows are from
    http://Carla-graceandfavor.blogspot.com

I only used the arrow pattern and for the best use of the fabric if you use one strip set of feathers for each side there is less waste. For example I used fat quarters and got 11 strips. By cutting both sides of the feathers from one strip I got 11 arrows, but by using the same 11 strips and cutting 5 in one direction and 5 in the opposite direction, then with the last one cut both sides from the one strip I got 22 blocks. Smaller leftover triangles I used for a smaller lap quilt. Hope this helps.
    Old 11-11-2018, 09:29 AM

Battleaxe, your double Irish blocks looks very nice. I’ll post pics when I get my done in a day or so.

QVC, lucky you- getting to sew and chat with Bonnie Hunter. Nice block. I like the pattern. Could you post pic of your project completed?

Irishgalfromny, very festive and pretty dish towels. I need more towels and could use one or more of those.

Since I couldn't’ Sleep last night, I got up and pinned my inner blocks for my Nebraska top and pinned 15 - 12” snowball blocks. Yesterday I also finished washing and folding my fabric for my BHMQ which starts in 1.5 weeks. So I’m making progress. Pic later when blocks are sewn. I also plan to finish squaring up my flying geese for the 16 - 8” blocks and 16 - 8” snowball blocks. Then I can seriously put the top together. I figure by the end of the week the top will be done. Tomorrow I plan to bind my 9-patch quilt. 3-4 hour project.

Again I enjoy see and hearing about everyone’s projects.
    Old 11-11-2018, 09:46 AM

I just love to see everyone’s projects, all so pretty!! Everyone seems to have made much better progress than I! Unfortunately I do need to go into work tomorrow, so I won’t get as much done as I wanted to.

Battle Axe, I just love your project and I can’t wait to see it when it’s all done!
    Old 11-11-2018, 01:05 PM
    Power Poster

I have made some progress on my Christmas wall hanging. I am so happy with it. Will show you when it's finished.
    Old 11-11-2018, 01:24 PM

Thanks everyone. I did manage to get some sewing in today--quilted the outlines into the center of my doodle quilt before it got too painful.

Battleaxe- that sashing is fantastic with your blocks-- can't wait to see how the rest of it goes together.

Quilting Vagabond- I feel your pain re: mending. About the only mending I don't mind doing is machine darning-- don't ask me why I enjoy doing that but for some reason I find it relaxing.

Raggiemom- those ornaments are cute.

Rob
    Old 11-11-2018, 01:24 PM
    Power Poster

Woo-Hoo! VQW goals complete. I finished piecing the all flannel back for my Christmas Wishes top. Actually this back will be the top sometimes. I wanted a cozy flannel sofa snuggle quilt that we could use all winter so during the holidays I will display it so Christmas Wishes is the top and I plan on quilting it for that. Then after the holidays there is a whole lot more winter so we will flip it this side up. This has been a WIP for years. After I finished by brother's all flannel quilt (pictured here: Woo Hoo! I won 2nd place People's Choice at Bennington Quiltfest) I had lots of little bits and pieces so I started making blocks out of them in the hopes of putting together a scrappy all flannel quilt. Then when I wanted to experiment with blocks I would pull out my flannel scraps and play. So this is the result.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]603862[/ATTACH]

I loved how the tree of life block came out and I plan on making an all scrappy tree of life. The HST are 1" finished in the tree.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]603863[/ATTACH]

And here is a pic of the Christmas Wishes top which has been completed for a while now waiting on this back, which took longer to make than the top, even with all the hand applique.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]603864[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails dsc06464.jpg   dsc06466.jpg   dsc06471.jpg