Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me? >

any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

Old 07-08-2010, 10:47 AM

Tortoisethreads, FYI Karen McTavish is a celebrity quilter/longarm instructor. Writes lots of books, gives lots of tutorials, famous, etc. - is teaching at Long Beach this month. However, if you meet her in person, woohoo. She has waist length dreadlocks, tattoos up both arms (didn't feel I should ask how far they extended), and she rides Harleys. She is undoubtedly one of the nicest and neatest people I've met quilting.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:50 AM

Does she ever come to Texas--the Houston or Beaumont area?
Old 07-08-2010, 10:51 AM

QUILTERS ARE THE BEST!!!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 11:01 AM

Kill with kindness, (being from the South, raised in a Southern Baptist Church with the ladies group running the town, I learned from the best). When you encounter rude had no raising people, always answer with How Kind of You in the sweetest stickiest voice you have.

LOL. I used to have the sister-in-law from #$##. She thought since I was younger she could tell me what to do. I learned very early to answer any instruction/criticism with "You know, I hadn't thought about it that way." or "I'm sure you're probably right." or even "How original, I've got to think about that for a while." It shuts them down with no place to go because you've agreed with them and also indicated you're going to consider their advice.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by DianD
In the past, I have been verbally abused for not having children..."Whats wrong with you?
I got comments on that too. Tackled those with a straight-faced: "Oh it's better that I don't have any. They require food on a regular schedule and I'm not allowed to lock them up in the garage when I want to leave."

Left some people with their jaw dropped.
I always tell people like that that the only thing wrong with babie is that they grow up to be people.

Scary thing is - some people actually have done that.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

What a nerve that women had.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:21 PM

You know that they say "what goes around, comes around". :twisted:
Old 07-08-2010, 02:57 PM

Whatever happened to tact? Sheez.....
Old 07-08-2010, 03:07 PM

I try to remember that we are only responsible for our actions and what other people do, does not have to affect me or my life (unless it is dangerous). Why can't people mind their own business? If you want to drag your quilt through the town, who cares? I'm guessing that these people don't have real lives, but for me I have enough of my own stuff going on that I don't need anyone elses.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:24 PM

If a quilt can survive a cross country journy in a hot, dusty, dry, prairie schooner, then I think a quilt can stand being used on the ground. I make my quilts so they can be washed if they get dirty. I can't believe the incidents talked about here and how rude and self-righteous people can be. I have run into the quilt police only once so far. I signed up to take a class at a local QS, we were making a wall hanging with a snowman applique and the borders were pieced pine trees. When I went to the counter the owner looked at my green fabrics and said "that will never do. Two of your fabrics go, but the third sticks out like a sore thumb. Once the wall hanging is done, people's eye's are always going to be drawn to this green that sticks out. Let me find you another shade that will work." It was my second quilt class that I ever took, the owner was tecahing it, my friend had taken classes from her before and raved about her. I was not impressed. I did not like her and the quilt to this day is not finished. It's a UFO. I have toyed with the idea to just put plain borders on it and let it go at that. The woman does not own the shop anymore, she sold it to another lady who is 1,000 times sweeter and nicer.