Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
April Secret Pal Swap Sign up Closed >

April Secret Pal Swap Sign up Closed

April Secret Pal Swap Sign up Closed

Old 04-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Aurora I completely agree with you.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:23 AM

Well I am still on the bench waiting, but I must say the weather is so nice I really don't mind. I know how long it can take for mail to get here. I have passed the tme reading all the posts and looking at all the wonderful packages, there are so nice! On another note, I just can't imagine the stress of medical bills, we have such different health care systems. I really don't know what I would do if I had to worry about health care bills on top of everything else, Many Blessings to you all! and Happy Easter!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:05 AM

Still sitting on the bench....well I was sitting on the bench but I woke up on the ground so I must have fallen asleep and fell off. So I brushed myself off and got back on the bench. Was hoping someone would bring us breakfast at least you know someone that has left over pizza or spaghetti from last nights dinner. NO MORE sweets for me, I've gotten a bit wider in the saddle then when I first sat down on this bench. So when my package gets here I hope that I am so excited that when I jump up and down with joy that some of this saddle will disappear.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:05 AM

Suzanne was removing people from the swap who didn't send out their packages and that should stay the same....I have been doing this swap for almost a year and there are a LOT more people participating than when it started...with so many new participants, I think some of them don't know to post on here, so it should be included in the rules to post on the thread and send a PM that you have received...not everyone is able to put up pictures, but if you were able to take 2 minutes to sign up, you're able to take two minutes to post that you received it and say "THANK YOU"...again, it should be put in with the rules so new comers know to post on the thread.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Very well said Brenda.We are just getting to the deadline. Alot of people are just now sending out packages,and it takes awhile to get them.It's the not knowing for sure if the package you sent was recieved by your pal that gets to me.The usps says it was delivered according to the confirmation number.But until I hear something from my pal I am uneasy about it. We all put alot of time and some money and effort into making this a fun and happy swap.I hope the new comers stay as well as the older ones.It is getting to be a big swap and alot of packages out there.Please be kind and take 2 minutes to thank and let your pal know you recieved it.HAPPY EASTER EVERYBODY. Mary
Old 04-24-2011, 10:20 AM

I agree that a simple thank you should be the minimum requirement. Even tho it is wonderful to see a photo of the contents, not everyone has the skills to take or post photos.

To help Lori, perhaps we, the senders, could also send a PM to say we have had a thank you. I have posted a thank you on thread and forgotten to PM Suzanne for a week or two.

It was not until Suzanne posted a list showing who had received a swap that I realized that I had not PM'd her, so I guess this is helpful. If someone is a persistant offender of not saying thank you, say after 2 months, they should receive a reminder of the rules. Then if they still transgress perhaps they should be excluded.

We should be mindful, as it has been pointed out, that life does sometimes gets in the way. I always intend that the next swap will be mailed early, but always my life gets tangled up and I am either on the deadline or just over it. Being 'International' this means that my parcel takes a long time to arrive. However a lot of time, love and effort still goes into it.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

Exactly Tussymussy.Mary
Old 04-24-2011, 11:26 AM

I guess there is always the "business" end of a fun event that has to be taken care of. We are all at different stations in our lives so there are some hiccups to be expected. This is just my second round in this swap and I have noticed a few things and with seeing the thread I know there are some things I may have yet to experience.

While I know that I operate a certain way and others may not, I accepted that idea when I opted to participate in this swap especially when the swap is open to everyone at all levels of experience, and temperment, and ethics, and follow through, and etiquette, and promptness, and quantity, and quality, and computer literate or not, and etc. We have all probably experienced people like the variety on this board in our daily lives, those who are going to adhere to the rules to the letter, who do things early and those who may not do either.

While the new host may probably take into consideration her own experience in this swap along with the comments of the participates when constructing her new swap rules, I do hope that the rules do not become so restrictive and cumbersome that the swap ceases to be fun for all. The operative word here for me is FUN. When this swap ceases to be that for me then like Roseysue I will decide to no longer participate.

Having been a group leader in my regular life on many ocassions dealing with a variety of people, I know complaining will rarely solve an issue. It more often breeds discontent in some form and can discourage others. Saying that I do not know what the answer is to the situations mentioned here. During the first swap when participates were not receiving packages I offered to Suzanne to make extra things so they would not go without. She mentioned that she did have a list of angels who would send out squishes to those who may not receive anything. My offer is still on the table for the new host after she gets her bearings and has a good idea of what her needs will be. My offer is not because I have a lot of extra time on my hands, I don't (work full time and in MBA program full time) but I make things when I find stolen moments and would like to contribute if I can to someone else's fun.

I look forward to seeing what this swap becomes in the very near future with a new host at the helm. It is a big job for anyone to take on so kudos for doing so. Whether my SP posts a pic (my 2 did not) or shouts out their thanks on the thread I will continue to put together what I consider great packages to send out and hope that my SP's like what I have done. I do believe a minimum of a thank you is in order from those who receive. I know that I have been late in sending a coupla of acknowledgements but that was due to my being new at this and my time constraints (i.e. tax season). I now have a personal check off list in my swap goodies box to make sure I check off the things I need to do each swap like send the host a note that I have received a pkg, send my SP a PM that I received their pkg, etc. This is just to keep me on track because I juggle so many other balls in my regular life.

Thanks for reading my very long post. Just expressing my thoughts. And to those of you who may have received mug rugs from me I hope you are using them to enjoy a cup of your favorite beverge while you read this. Love to all and to those of you who celebrate our risen savior, God Bless!
Old 04-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

Havplenty-I was one of your pals.When you recieved your swap from me you were very gracious and sent a PM to me and also posted you recieved it. That is all most of us are asking for. It is a very fun swap and that keeps it one. Then we aren't worried.It only took a few moments.Thanks Mary
Old 04-24-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by jguidry
Yes, this was my first swap and yes it was fun. I've been sewing since I graduated high school. I've been quilting more than 10 years. I love to do machine embroidery, as well as punchneedle, counted cross-stitch. Also, I'm trying my hand at making a toothbrush rug.
I was intrigued by a toothbrush rug but I recognised it at once when I saw the picture. In this part of the world we call them proggy or proddy mats and we use a modified dolly clothes peg. These were originally made out of old clothing scraps. They were used first as a bedspread then they were put to the front door as a mat and after that the back door as a mat. By then they were very worn but I am sure that some practical use was made of them. Years ago everyone recycled everything!

This is only my ssecond swap and I can understand people getting disappointed when they don't hear from their SP. I agree not everyone has time to post but I think it is just basic good manners to inform the person who has sent the package that it has arrived and also to thank them for the package. Part of the fun for me is hearing and seeing the fabulous packages that are sent. I am not too good on the computer and did not post a picture but I did list everything I received and I am hoping to be able to get my son to help me post a picture when I get this month's package.

I think the only answer to people who do not send packages is to block them from participating in any further swaps unless there is a very good reason.