2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-04-2020, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
And this is why it takes me so long to get through my stash

Blush and Blue leftovers and it's a mini!
hahahaha....the mini queen hard at work! That turned out so cute! Now, make 50 of them and you'll use 1yd of stash. Lol...
Old 07-04-2020, 05:46 PM

WMUTeach, love the autumn vibe on that one! And the blocks are really interesting, does it have a name? Great job!
Old 07-04-2020, 05:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Ta-Da! This evening I finished an exchange block quilt from 2011. I used fabric from my stash for the backing, the batting and the sashing. I didn't calculate the yardage but I will guess about two and a half yards of backing/sashing. A small amount, but it is no longer in my stash!
One thing wrong with your quilt WMU...the autumn vibe...I don't want to think about fall...it means winter is on its way!
Old 07-04-2020, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
hahahaha....the mini queen hard at work! That turned out so cute! Now, make 50 of them and you'll use 1yd of stash. Lol...
Thanks Teen...and I'm working on a couple more...you should have heard my DD laugh when I told her I had to go and buy fabric to finish the next two. I think there is more in the binding than in the quiltlets.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:20 PM

Today, got the binding on 1 quilt-it's finished. About 5 yds
Old 07-05-2020, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cattitude View Post
WMUTeach, love the autumn vibe on that one! And the blocks are really interesting, does it have a name? Great job!
No name, the blocks are a simple maple pattern that measure 9 inches finished. Since this was an exchange block quilt, I had to play around, play a lot, to find a way to use all the blocks and not end up with an odd sized quilt. Once I decided on the layout, I spent way too much time balancing colors and prints. In the end, I had it long arm quilted but I regret the quilting pattern that was chosen. Lesson learned and moving on. I am always amazed at how a bunch of random blocks from 20 plus different people can play so nicely in a quilt.

oksewglad, Autumn vibe, hum. Since this one started as a UFO, perhaps it is just cleaning up last year's leaves rather than looking ahead to this year's. Tee-Hee-Hee!

Thank you for all the kind comments.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 07-05-2020 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:14 PM

WMUteach, I love your use of stash! Great points on the blocks.
I found a huge piece of pale blue fabric in the box gifted to me. I hope to use it to back 1 or 2 of the UFOs found st my friend's house. We didnt sew on those tops for the last 3 days, so I've been sewing on pieces inspired by a quilt made by my grandmother or her mother. It has butterflies of different fabrics in squares. Sadly the entire quilt is threadbare with the colors faded to almost nothing. Her hand stitching in black is still visible. I traced 1 butterfly & made freezer paper templates. I cut 28 butterflies from a variety of floral fabric also gifted to me. I'm machine-sewing them to neutral fabric squares (part of the gifted fabric). I'll intersperse squares of bright fabric, all stash, next to the butterfly squares. I've cut 28 bright fabrics, 28 neutral fabrics, & this quilt should end up 7 X 8 blocks, 75.5" X 84" without borders. I may add borders to the sides. Fabric on hand will decide that for me. My machine has a blanket stitch, very similar to that on the original, so I'm sewing them all with that. I'm thinking of using the original as batting, if it has enough structure. Thoughts on this plan?
Old 07-05-2020, 04:47 PM

Like your plan to make a replica of the butterfly quilt. I have no experience with reusing batting from a previous quilt. Much would depend on its quality and condition I guess. Waiting for a photo or at least an in progress photo.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:49 AM

Finally, permission to speak up.
I scavenge in Chicago's alleys. I don't go out to scavenge, but I bike and walk through them and they're a special place if you're not worried about looking dignified. Furniture, clothes, books, appliances, office supplies.
Two relevant scavenges: Leather from perfectly good couches and, here's the stash, the entire stock of a closed bridal boutique. I got perhaps a quarter acre of lace, damask, and some other rich-looking stuff I can't identify. Bolts and rolls of it. Along with a lot of non-bridal prints and knits, etc.
Okay, I feel better now.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

Conchalea..I have resued batting. The previous quilt was a tied quilt so easy to snip the ties. This was a polyester batting, too. Actually it works pretty good in a denim quilt as it's light without adding too much weight to the quilt. Also sandwiching it in a minky backed quilt works well for the same reason.

Doug vH...what a haul; nothing wrong with keeping usable items out of the landfills! I see you are a "newbie'...welcome to the board.