Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 12-03-2021, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
If you read todays clue, she does give both the finished and unfinished sizes of the geese. I think the easiest way to find which die to use would be to go to the Accuquilt site and make sure you are using the correct die, this way you know you have the correct die info for the necessary unit. Don’t forget to share your progress cause we all love seeing what other are doing.
Yeap, I saw the measurements but I just couldn't get the dies to match up. I've just decided to use the Essential Triangle Tool method so I've just finished cutting all the pinks. After dinner I'll cut the neutrals and yellows. I'll also be sure to take some Aleeve for my shoulder before bed!
Old 12-03-2021, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
I have tried to use the dies for the flying geese in the past and I never could get them correct. It got so frustrating for me so gave up. They were always too small, even with doing a scant quarter inch. Now I just do the method of 4 at once. I found I had a Wing Clipper ruler so am using that to square them up.
Yes! I agree about the dies not being exact in size. I also have the Wing clipper which I bought for last year's mystery. I'll use it to square up also. Although when I pulled the Clipper out to use it I see it has directions on making flying geese so maybe I'll try that method if necessary for other flying geese.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:03 PM

Today has been frustrating! My Easy Ruler which worked for last weeks clue does not easily work for this week. I will be ordering one of Bonnie’s rulers soon. So I tried the cutting the square into 4 triangles method and things were inconsistent size wise enough for me to decide to just cut my rectangles and squares in order to proceed. No idea what was wrong as I have been successful with this method before but have never actually measured before. Maybe my geese are always a bit small that way! Lol I now have 21 geese done and will hopefully finish more tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2021, 04:33 AM

I'm sorry to hear of the troubles some of you are having -- and I'm so impressed with those that already are making geese!

Almost done but I still have a few more pinks to cut, that's a lot of rectangles 1-2 at a time... Since I just have the one neutral/solid white that should go fast to cut the squares, but then there is the line drawing time. The yellows I think will go fast too, mostly I'll be cutting from some reasonable size strips and they are all collected.

Hubby will be home this weekend. His business is in their typical "slump" for this time of year -- that is they just keep normal hours and no overtime. We have a binge of early Call the Midwife (season 2) for our entertainment. He came in as I was watching a later season and found himself drawn in so we are working our way from the beginning. If I can get the squares cut, I can get the lines drawn while watching.

He's sleeping in (and will be for hours yet!) so I'm going to keep the volume low, but it's time for some music and more pink cutting. Hope you all have a lovely day.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:41 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
Default Always learning

One of the reasons I like to do bountyhunters( auto correct, so funny I decided to leave it!) mysteries is learning new techniques. I used to think using the dies from AccuQuilt was cheating but now I realize this mystery is helping me to discover new ways to use the dies. For example I have used a half square triangle die to make the corners for these flying geese. I had thought I would cut squares and do the sew and flip method. It turns out using the dye that automatically cuts the pieces into half square triangles works better because it adds a seam that gives you that extra quarter inch. So I guess in a way she is helping me learn a new method even using the dies! Hopefully will get everything cut today and so up a storm tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mumto2 View Post
Today has been frustrating! My Easy Ruler which worked for last weeks clue does not easily work for this week. I will be ordering one of Bonnie’s rulers soon. So I tried the cutting the square into 4 triangles method and things were inconsistent size wise enough for me to decide to just cut my rectangles and squares in order to proceed. No idea what was wrong as I have been successful with this method before but have never actually measured before. Maybe my geese are always a bit small that way! Lol I now have 21 geese done and will hopefully finish more tomorrow.
In order to make flying geese with the Easy Angle ruler, you need both the Easy Angle ruler and the Companion Angle ruler. The Companion Angle ruler cuts the center triangle, and the Easy Angle cuts the side triangles. (My personal opinion is that this pair of rulers is easier to work with than Bonnie's ruler, which combines the two functions.)
Old 12-04-2021, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

I mentioned that I'm going to use my new ruler but I'll see how it goes. If not I'll go back to my other method where you draw the lines.
Bonnie is so cheerful. I love her. She broke it down to 27 units a day. That sounds doable haha
Old 12-04-2021, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
In order to make flying geese with the Easy Angle ruler, you need both the Easy Angle ruler and the Companion Angle ruler. The Companion Angle ruler cuts the center triangle, and the Easy Angle cuts the side triangles. (My personal opinion is that this pair of rulers is easier to work with than Bonnie's ruler, which combines the two functions.)
I have been looking at the Companion Angle Ruler and trying to understand how to use it. The top of the triangle appears to be flat. So the flat part is matched exactly with the top of your fabric to get the center triangle?
Old 12-04-2021, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mumto2 View Post
I have been looking at the Companion Angle Ruler and trying to understand how to use it. The top of the triangle appears to be flat. So the flat part is matched exactly with the top of your fabric to get the center triangle?
Yes, Mumtp2, you'll have your strip cut to the size Bonnie indicates, and you'll look for that same measurement line on the ruler and match that line to the bottom of the strip, and then the flat part at the top should match up with the top of the strip. Then for the next cut, you have to turn the ruler upside down, and match the measurement line to the top of your strip, and the flat top of the ruler should line up with the bottom of the strip.

I think if you google the names of the rulers, you will find some youtube tutorials that show how the rulers are used.

Last edited by joe'smom; 12-04-2021 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:52 AM

What Joe'smom said -- your measurement line should be the bottom of the triangle, and the top of the triangle should be snubbed off. If you just cut the angle marking so the top of your triangles are pointy, they will be scant when sewn. For those with dies, I think maybe the problem comes in that math has you add 7/8ths to a finished triangle with a 1/4" seam (not the 1/2" we would expect) but that gives the pointy tops.

Edit: it was rounding the 7/8ths up to 1" that started me on the cutting large and trimming down. Seems like such a tiny amount but it doubles with two thicknesses of fabric and makes up for a lot of issues. Then I decided if I was going to trim off threads anyway, I might as well make it worth my while.

Coffee break time -- pinks are done. As I looked at the assortment there was one that was just too dark and one that was just too light and had to be replaced. I did manage to use up a number of small scraps completely. I was able to toss in a few of those hard to categorize fabrics and prints -- if they could be both pink and purple, I put them in!

While I like my addition of purples, as I look at my colors I'm concerned today that some are maybe going too dark, but they are still clearly not the Garnet. I've added a couple of fabrics to the Garnet stack as being possibles, one is a dark purple where the value is right and maybe I should just put in a couple more.

And those of you in other colorways seem to be working on me -- In trying to avoid dark I was going more and more coral and orange and peach until I was concerned about going too yellow. Had to pull out the pinks and yellows and put them under the Ott light and take out the middle ones.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 12-04-2021 at 09:57 AM.