Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-21-2011, 10:57 AM

Nancy, The brown krinkle is a Domestic Rotary. Will try to send pics of new ones later tonight.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:04 AM

The really funny part is, when I went to pick up the White Rotary the woman told me she plugged it in and it wouldn't run for her. I told her that's ok I will see what I can do with it. When I tilted the cabinet to get it in the car it made a rattle sound. I put it down and looked at the cabinet, asked te lady how to open the right side of the cabinet. She said it didn't open. I said it had to since there were 2 hinges there. She knew nothing about it and had never seen the hinges before. Just used it as a piece of furniture/table. That was to my advantage since the cabinet is in perfect condition. No refinishing needed. I got it home and found the lock/lever underneath and opened the side of the cabinet and stood there and laughed. Do you think if you opened the side of the cabinet and installed the knee-lever where it belongs, then maybe the machine would actually work?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:04 AM

My family will be proud of me (I think they're getting worried). I was in a thrift shop today and left a treadle machine ($50). Brunswick - very old, I'm sure. It will need some TLC, but the needlebar did move freely. The cabinet looked better than the machine.

dirty1mom, that White cabinet is very nice. I still want a turquoise machine like the White my mother had in the 50s. The Morse would do, as would the Universal on our Craigslist.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:21 AM

Weedwoman

I hope that you don't think this is a stupid question, but I noticed in the photos you posted that it looks as though the machine has two shuttles, is this so and why?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:36 AM

Hi BoJangles I just found my MIL's Willcox. Jimmy needs someclean-up work and I have yet to find his moter.
He was born July 4, 1871. Paula
Old 04-21-2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
The really funny part is, when I went to pick up the White Rotary the woman told me she plugged it in and it wouldn't run for her. I told her that's ok I will see what I can do with it. When I tilted the cabinet to get it in the car it made a rattle sound. I put it down and looked at the cabinet, asked te lady how to open the right side of the cabinet. She said it didn't open. I said it had to since there were 2 hinges there. She knew nothing about it and had never seen the hinges before. Just used it as a piece of furniture/table. That was to my advantage since the cabinet is in perfect condition. No refinishing needed. I got it home and found the lock/lever underneath and opened the side of the cabinet and stood there and laughed. Do you think if you opened the side of the cabinet and installed the knee-lever where it belongs, then maybe the machine would actually work?
That is too cute! Have fun with all your new vintage machines.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:22 PM

My Spartan that I picked up a couple of weeks ago is installed in a cabinet with a knee lever. NOT a Spartan cabinet. It has a small foot pedal though that won't stay in the knee lever holder. Is that original Spartan foot pedal a standard 2 wire pedal? I have a spare that I would like to put on it just so it would fit in the knee lever slot and stay put! I would keep the original of course and put it back on if I ever find a cabinet or case made for the Spartan.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom

That's hilarious!!! You got some really nice machines!

I never find free either...
Old 04-21-2011, 12:32 PM

I haven't picked up the 2 free ones. yet. I will get them on my way home tonight. The pics I posted are machines I bought and got home this week.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Glenn
Last night I looked real close, and it actually has an oil hole. I filled it up and started just working it back and forth, and lo and behold, it started turning real easy!! I also took the bobbin assembly apart, and removed the needle plate and feed dogs, and oiled down around the bobbin area really well. I turned the handwheel several times, cleaned up the extra oil, and replaced the bobbin carrier and all the other parts. When I tried her out, she sewed about 100% better!! I think she had probably sat for a long time and her joints just needed lubricating! :-)
Most people don't realize that there are actual oil holes everwhere on these old machines. I didn't realize that until I took the FW maintance class and the instructor pointed out that fact when we had the face plates off. You just don't oil all the joints, although that is good too, but there are actuall oil holes you will see if you rotate the wheel at each joint that need a drop of oil put in them!

Nancy
Thanks, Nancy!! That is a real help. I'll open her up again to take a look for those oil holes on the mechanicals. I actually wound a bobbin yesterday. I am so pleased! And it seems the more I sew with her the better she is sewing! Thanks for your help.....I appreciate everyone's very generous spirits here!!