Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-05-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Like this one:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CFEQ8wIwAQ#

(no affiliation, just googled "darning foot")
At the risk of asking a dumb question or for a clarafication, I would like to ask what the difference is between high shank and low shank? I have Singers 301A, FW, 15-91, 66, 99, a Bernina 830 (of the 1975 era) and a Bernina Artista 200. I also have a Vintqage Necchi made in Italy but don't have that model info handy at the moment. I have other machines but am hoping that at least two of those machines have different shanks so I can visually compare their differences.

I like the site you gave for the darning foot/FMQ foot and would like to get one... but the right one.

Right now I do FMQ on my Bernina 830. And, plan to do FMQ wtih my 301A. Well, probably will bring my 15-91 into this scene also.

Thanks. :oops: :shock: :-D
Old 06-05-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Like this one:

At the risk of asking a dumb question or for a clarafication, I would like to ask what the difference is between high shank and low shank? I have Singers 301A, FW, 15-91, 66, 99, a Bernina 830 (of the 1975 era) and a Bernina Artista 200. I also have a Vintqage Necchi made in Italy but don't have that model info handy at the moment. I have other machines but am hoping that at least two of those machines have different shanks so I can visually compare their differences.

I like the site you gave for the darning foot/FMQ foot and would like to get one... but the right one.

Right now I do FMQ on my Bernina 830. And, plan to do FMQ wtih my 301A. Well, probably will bring my 15-91 into this scene also.

The "high" or "low" shank is based on length of the the presser foot leg part. If you lower the presser foot lever and measure the distance between the screw hole and the plate of the machine bed, the "low shank" machine distance is closer to the plate. Most low shank attachments will fit a low shank machine. (No matter what brand)
Old 06-05-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by emmah

The "high" or "low" shank is based on length of the the presser foot leg part. If you lower the presser foot lever and measure the distance between the screw hole and the plate of the machine bed, the "low shank" machine distance is closer to the plate. Most low shank attachments will fit a low shank machine. (No matter what brand)[/quote]

Thank you so much. I will pack that info away in my brain.

:-D
Old 06-05-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
this is one of my 29K70s. i have used it over 20 years to sew patches on letter jackets plus.
i made an extension for an arm table. the other one is packed away, i can not legenth the stitch on it. i hope this works , new to pics.
Wow, what an interesting looking machine! So both of your 29's were originally shoe/boot making machines? How in the world did you end up getting one and actually using it? Are they both treadles? Do they take the same amount of space as a normal Singer treadle cabinet or are those machines much bigger?

Nancy
yes both are the same, i think shoe patch is all they ever were.it is 28" wide not very tall till i put rollers on it. it head can be removed and sit on any table and use the hand crank. or you can use the treadle like i do. it will sew any direction, there is a round plate above the needle with 2 ears on it. that is how you direct your feed. [ it will pinch a blood blister fast if you put your hand above it].there are no dog feeds on it. it takes very small bobbin. i added a wooden plate to the back to mount my lights to. and two different versions of table tops when i need them. this arm is 12" deep and 1" wide at the needle, they make longer ones. i am new and on page 385, so i jump back and forth to read. most of my machines are commerical. i did free hand chain stitch emb & chenille for years. and as you can tell i type one handed.
thanks for your help.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:34 PM

Sew Extreme, this might help. http://www.clotilde.com/pages/which_foot.html

Once you FMQ with the 301, you won't go back. The bobbin sitting vertically feeds with no turns, so there are fewer chances for 'birdnests' on the back. I bought my quilting foot from April1930s shop.

Chergram, April and her husband specialize in FWs. Sew Classic has parts available, too.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by chergram
can any one tell me if there is attachments for singer featherweight 221 machine
Yes there are quite a few attachments for the 221. If you can get a hold of a manual it will show you all the different ones and how to use them.
You can go on ismacs.com and download a manual for free if you don't happen to have one.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Like this one:

If you go to The Sew Box's web site and scroll all the way to the bottom of the first page, you will find a link to a pdf file on determining your shank size:
http://www.thesewbox.com
Old 06-05-2011, 03:18 PM

Thank you IrishRose and Linda Lovely. Both sites that you suggested were just what I needed Visually. Plus, Clotilde's site gave a pretty complete listing of all the sewing machine models and what their shank sizes are. It will be a frequently reference point for me "if" I acquire any more machines. LOL Thank you both again! :-D :-D
Old 06-05-2011, 03:43 PM

I saw on thesewbox.com she sells a darning spring. Anybody ever ordered one of these just for the heck of it?
Old 06-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I saw on thesewbox.com she sells a darning spring. Anybody ever ordered one of these just for the heck of it?
Ha! Only $4. (I looked it up.) If it is anything like the doohinky I have it would be a blast to play with.

It looks like if it didn't work out on the sewing machine it might make a cool earring.