Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-20-2010, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy,
I found you another machine! I think this is one of the Davis Vertical Feed machines.
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2066077651.html

If the machine is a vertical feed and if you don't own one of these, you may want to go after this one. I understand that they are nice for sewing on bindings, sewing with flannels, and thick layers.

This one looks like it take the Boyle needles while the younger of these Davis Vertical Feed takes a 15x1.
http://www.kelsew.info/domestic/davisVFmodels.html

Nancy, if you get it and don't like it I will buy it from you. You might have to store it for awhile before I can plan a trip up north or one of my friends coming this way.

I don't have one but it is on the wish list. I hear they are great. Like a machine with a built in walking foot.
Vintagemotif, I owe you that much for finding my 1953 featherweight for under a $100! I am trying to get a hold of the people so I can go see the machine today. Nobody is answering!

Nancy
Old 11-20-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Nancy,
I found you another machine! I think this is one of the Davis Vertical Feed machines.

If the machine is a vertical feed and if you don't own one of these, you may want to go after this one. I understand that they are nice for sewing on bindings, sewing with flannels, and thick layers.

This one looks like it take the Boyle needles while the younger of these Davis Vertical Feed takes a 15x1.

Nancy, if you get it and don't like it I will buy it from you. You might have to store it for awhile before I can plan a trip up north or one of my friends coming this way.

I don't have one but it is on the wish list. I hear they are great. Like a machine with a built in walking foot.
Vintagemotif, I owe you that much for finding my 1953 featherweight for under a $100! I am trying to get a hold of the people so I can go see the machine today. Nobody is answering!

Nancy
Nancy,
That was Quilt Addict who made this request. I'm not going after this one. If it were the younger ones that take the 15x1 needles then I would be picking it up just to play with it. I too don't have space for another machine. Billy's clever solution for owning many machines with one(or two treadles) is a possibility, but I too like keeping the machines in their treadles.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Okay, I fell off the machine diet today. Went to estate sale and was going to look at the treadle listed....but ended up with machine with a tail. I don't have room for another cabinet so got them to sell me the machine and all stuff in the drawers for $35. Here is my new Slant-O-Matic 500A. It has the sales receipt so was purchased in Norfolk, VA on Sep 18, 1962 for $304.40 It was a 533 cabinet listed on receipt.

She purrs like a kitten. But there was no bobbin with it. Does anyone know if it uses a standard bobbin? It doesn't say the type in the manual.

Only issue with initial look is need the top hinge pin for the face plate, clutch will not disengage and missing the detacable spool pin. Is there a secret to get the top to stay closed?
I have the 503a Slant 0 Matic, Rocketeer that I got from a barn sale for $10! No feet, no cams came with it. I love that machine! It is so fun to play with the different cams. I bought the original set of cams that came with the machine and the feet the originally came with the machine off of E-bay. I also just won an original button hole attachment with the different cam thingys to make different type button holes. They are on sale on e-bay now, I bid on the second set and won it for $10.50. These are original - brand new - button hole attachments that these people came across still in unopened boxes - half a pallet full, so if you don't have that attachment you can get one! My machine is a 1961 and looks a little different from yours -- but, still the Rocketeer style. This style machine was only made between 1960 and 1962! We took my machine out of the original cabinet -- cabinet in bad shape - and it is now a portable! Someone on e-bay is selling all the machine parts - separately - right now if you search for Slant 0 Matic. The only thing mine is missing is the top spool pin, and the wire thingy (Bobbin Winder Kick Out Spring) that keeps the bobbin winder from running all the time. My DH just put a rubber band between the bobbin winder and a spool pin to keep the bobbin winder disengaged so it doesn't run all the time.

I bought the Singer Bobbin Winder Kick Out Spring, but my DH doesn't know how to attach it so we are still using the rubber band to disengage the bobbin winder.

Nancy
Old 11-20-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Ok you guys that quilt with your 15-88, 15-90, 15-91's do you use a 1/4 inch foot or do you just use mole skin, painter's tape or something similiar to make a 1/4 mark so your piecing is accurate? I am pretty sure there were no 1/4 feet originally for these machines, at least not for the 15-88, which I have?

Nancy
I use a quarter inch foot Singer 15-91. I even have a 1/4 inch foot for my treadle.
Yes, I bought a short shank 1/4 inch foot that works perfect on my 15-88 treadle!

Nancy
Old 11-20-2010, 10:25 AM

Nancy,
That was Quilt Addict who made this request. I'm not going after this one. If it were the younger ones that take the 15x1 needles then I would be picking it up just to play with it. I too don't have space for another machine. Billy's clever solution for owning many machines with one(or two treadles) is a possibility, but I too like keeping the machines in their treadles.
Ok, I am confused, but I am on the hunt to see this machine if they still have it! I hope I am not too late, as I know these vertical feed machines are rare!

Quilt Addict - I will let you know if these people ever call me back! I am afraid it is already sold!

Nancy
Old 11-20-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Quilt Addict,
You bought one of those Jane Jetsons machines. Every time I see one of these machines I think of the Jetsons.
Have fun with it!
Love the design--the nickname for this machine is the "Rocketeer"! It was one of these machines that helped send me down the path to 150 sewing machines. And I still have this one.
Miz Johnny,

Wow 150 machines! How many do you own now? I just own nine machines, and only three of them I will be keeping for parts (if ever needed) and for show.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:05 PM

Miz Johnny,

Wow 150 machines! How many do you own now? I just own nine machines, and only three of them I will be keeping for parts (if ever needed) and for show.
I have no idea, but at least 150. I'm not counting. I did sell one today, though.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Banned

Okay I am going to post this so that you guys who love FW's can get a very rare machine. This is a Tan Featherweight and its going to go for dirt cheap. So here you guys go have fun getting it!!

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=7055639

Billy
Old 11-21-2010, 01:49 AM

Hi Everyone... I just picked up a Singer 66k 1920 model treadle and its beautiful, but its also very dirty. i have managed by folowing Bilys tute to get the machine partially torn down, but I cant get the bobbon case out, is there a trick to it or does it not come out? Its so packed with old lint and oil, its looking like set grease. Can anyone help??

Thanks
Old 11-21-2010, 07:11 AM
Banned

Your machine might have the solid keeper in it instead of the spring steel version. If you look at the bobbin area you will see a part that fits into a notch in the base near the bobbin plate spring. If it is the thick and heavy steel then remove the screw that is holding it and you can remove the piece and then you can remove the housing. If it is the spring steel version just push it to the side and then remove the housing.

Billy