Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-05-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by luvnquilt
Ok, I did it, I pulled it out of the box and played with it a little. I test ran it with no thread and it worked fine and smooth for a couple stitches but I need to oil it before I really test it. It's a 1939 FW 221-1 that I inherited from my great-aunt. I also think the belt might need to be replaced - it looks tired. The cord is perfect and I can't believe I waited so long but I'm looking forward to testing and seeing how we do together.
She is beautiful and one of the earliest Featherweights. They were made between 1933 -34 until about 1969! She looks to be in great shape! Congratulations!

Nancy
Old 01-05-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Diamondrose
When I was picking up my Standard treadle I saw a Wheeler & Wilson treadle that caught my eye for a couple reasons. The spool holder is an inverted u shape in the middle of the machine, also the pressed wood detail on the top, which is in great shape considering the age. The warranty from when the machine was originally bought is there and dated 1895.
And it works. No manual though, which I usually like to have to refer to in my old age. Any thoughts pro or con would be greatly appreciated.
Diamondrose, I have two Wheeler & Wilson machines. One is posted on page 419, it is from 1887, and it is an authentic W&W - the other one is posted on page 265. It is a Singer 9W from 1910, which is really a W & W that Singer made after they took over the W&W factory. I love those W&W, but they take a special obsolete needle 127x1 or Boye 18 that you can sometimes find on E-bay-- also, the wheel goes away from instead of towards you. They are great machines! ISMACS or Needlebar have manuals you can download for free.

Nancy
Thanks so much for the information, you have been very helpful. The wheel goes away from me in the new to me Standard so that isn't a problem, it was a little confusing at first after years of just the opposite. As I remember it, the W & W machine itself looks more like the model at the top of page 419 than either of yours. IT has an embossed Wheeler and Wilson seal on it also. Will definitely check out the other sites and see what information I can find on it.

I'll get some pictures posted of the standard before too long.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Banned

I wish I could subdivide everything so it is easier to find but if you use the search function you can find a lot of the information on here.

Trust me I had no idea that the shop would take off as well as it did when we first opened!!

Billy
Old 01-05-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I wish I could subdivide everything so it is easier to find but if you use the search function you can find a lot of the information on here.

Trust me I had no idea that the shop would take off as well as it did when we first opened!!

Billy
Billy or anyone for that matter, I have a New Home Model NHR Light Running machine made - we determined sometime between 1939 and 1941. I just realized that it takes a short needle -- shorter than the standard 15x1. Does anyone know what the needle is numbered with Boye? Or what needles to get? Oh, the machine is on page 482, and I found out the greyhound pictured on the bed of the machine is the New Home symbol for the Light Running Machine.

I just need to know what needles to look for?
Nancy
Old 01-05-2011, 04:15 PM

Billy
Billy or anyone for that matter, I have a New Home Model NHR Light Running machine made - we determined sometime between 1939 and 1941. I just realized that it takes a short needle -- shorter than the standard 15x1. Does anyone know what the needle is numbered with Boye? Or what needles to get? Oh, the machine is on page 482, and I found out the greyhound pictured on the bed of the machine is the New Home symbol for the Light Running Machine.

I just need to know what needles to look for?
Nancy
The needles that the 306k says to use are shorter than reg needles by a little bit. I got mine off ebay, they ran about $1.00 each.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:31 PM

If I can't find it in a search, I'll just have to depend on you to refresh my memory! Thanks for being here!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:34 PM

I happened across this very interesting site...lots of great pictures and stories about old machines
http://possumjimandelizabeth.com/xht..._machines.html
Old 01-05-2011, 04:46 PM

Here are copies of photos of the Singer 27 that I just adopted. These are copied from the ad, so if the quality's a bit off, forgive me.

1904 Singer 27, Sphinx
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154124[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Attachment-154119.zip (177.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: zip
Attachment-154120.zip (177.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 01-05-2011, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher

Our sewing head is just like yours. But, the cabinet is different, it opens the same way but the cabinet is darker and has the curved front and drawers. Yours looks prettier than ours right now but will work on that. If we keep it we will have to paint it because someone spilled something on it that has eaten the finish away. I tried sewing again and she does sew good with me trying to learn the treadle.
Trish, I hate to sound like I am repeating myself, but did you actually sew with thread and the shuttle threaded?

When you get the Davis cleaned up it is going to be beautiful. Your cabinet is beautiful. I haven't seen one like it. ISMACS has a manual.

Nancy
In answer to your question yes I did sew with thread and shuttle threaded. I even treadled altho I am not good at it.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:53 PM

Here are some pictures Nancy wanted me to post in hopes of getting her Davis VF working. Hope this will help :?

shuttle area of the VF
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154129[/ATTACH]

the lenght of the shuttle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154130[/ATTACH]

the bobbin length
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154131[/ATTACH]

just a picture of the shuttle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154135[/ATTACH]

VF's first stitching
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154138[/ATTACH]

VF's first stitching
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154140[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-154124.jpe   attachment-154125.jpe   attachment-154126.jpe   attachment-154130.jpe   attachment-154133.jpe  

attachment-154135.jpe