Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you leave your sewing machine on? >
  • Do you leave your sewing machine on?

• Do you leave your sewing machine on?

Old 03-18-2015, 07:31 PM

The danger in leaving a machine on, unattended, is that if something gets put onto the foot pedal, it can burn out the pedal or the motor, or cause a fire -- all because something got put onto the pedal. I've seen foot pedals melted to the carpet, and motors burned to a crisp, and the owner was glad that there wasn't a fire in the house. Even if the pedal is pushed slightly, and not even moving the machine, there's still an electrical current going through the pedal, and into the motor. So be careful -- especially on the older machines!
    Old 03-18-2015, 10:18 PM

I've never given this any thought!! With me it is automatic....done sewing...machine off...even if for only a few minutes. Have never had to replace the light bulb...Iron is downstairs...same thing.... off when done. The iron has an automatic shut off, but I've never tested it. I get my exercise running up and down the stairs!!
    Old 03-18-2015, 11:23 PM

If you switch the machine off to cut or press during a sewing section you loose the machine settings and have to reprogram again. There is the chance you forget to reset then seams and stitch lengths will vary making it difficult to match later.
    keep mine on all day when sewing.
    Old 03-19-2015, 02:43 AM

I leave mine on. I would be concerned about the on/off switch wearing out. As for the light bulb? Easy fix....and rare that they wear out. I think the most jolt to the machine us turning it ON.

SANDY
    Old 03-19-2015, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
    If you switch the machine off to cut or press during a sewing section you loose the machine settings and have to reprogram again. There is the chance you forget to reset then seams and stitch lengths will vary making it difficult to match later.
    my janome 9900 remembers all settings...even where my embroidery design stopped. One reason I bought this machine. I love this feature.
    sandy
    Old 03-19-2015, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
    I have a Janome 8900 and it reverts to default settings when it is turned off so I never turn it off once it is set until I know I'm going to leave the room for a while. I never turn it off just to cut or press. I do have it on a surge protector because of Florida lightening.

I have had this machine less than a year and my 37 year old Viking which has sewn miles and miles doesn't have an on/off switch for the machine, just for the light. I do leave the light on for pressing/cutting and if I'm going to be gone for any length of time I turn the light off. I've never had to replace the bulb. The same goes with my Featherweight machines.

I don't worry about lights burning out. They are readily available, easy to change and relatively inexpensive.
    Old 03-19-2015, 03:55 AM
    Power Poster

I changed all the lights in my machine to LED light bulbs and they are expensive compared to the regular bulbs. And the FW light cover does not get hot with the LED light. That is worth the extra cost. That hood gets hot!
    Old 03-19-2015, 03:58 AM
    Power Poster

I turn my Bernina off. DSM and irons suck a lot of electricity more then your TV.
    Old 03-19-2015, 04:53 AM

Hi, Rosa
    The same as VaQuiltgal I leave mine on while ironing I turn it off when I take breaks, because I walk away from the machine for long period of time, but yes turn it off when I am finishing for the night. -Vontina
    Old 03-19-2015, 05:03 AM

While in my sewing area, I keep the machine on. But when I am finished for the day, I turn it off and unplug it. We had a lightening strike a few years back that destroyed a tree in our backyard and fried our paper shredder. The shredder was inexpensive to replace. My sewing machine would be very expensive to replace, so I unplug it to be safe.