Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • looking for sympathy >
  • looking for sympathy

• looking for sympathy

Old 06-10-2012, 03:50 AM

Yup not that i am the quilt police but prewash especially flannel
    Old 06-10-2012, 04:17 AM

Oxyclean and color catchers I have used. It may take more than one was with Oxyclean too, but it did work. Good Luck.
    Old 06-10-2012, 04:51 AM

Do some lite decorative stitching over the lines, Sometimes mistakes take us to places we would never venture to go otherwise. I like your quilt .......stripes and all.
    Old 06-10-2012, 05:35 AM

I wouldn't do that if I were you. Another thing you might try is "Resolve" - it's a dual power Oxi-action product made by Spray n Wash. (I'm Canadian - I'm assuming you can get this in the states). My friend and I co-facilitate Prayers and Squares at our church, and she used Resolve on some donated fabric that had awful bleeding stains on it from another fabric (I was ready to toss it), and the stains came out. As someone else said - whatever you try, don't put it in the dryer until all the stains are off.
    Originally Posted by wattse2000
    I was just thinking maybe I'd try applying bleach to the quilting lines that show up really bad on that bright green fabric. I guess it couldn't get any worse!
    Old 06-10-2012, 05:45 AM

Whoa! I don't usually read all the way to the end of everyones comments but the support and suggestions offered here were truly heart felt. As I've always said "quilters are the greatest!" You have to feel better after reading all of these comments even if you still have some unwanted color on the front of the quilt. Consider it a reminder of how much quilters care for you!
    Old 06-10-2012, 06:12 AM
    Banned

sorry this happened to you...
    Old 06-10-2012, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by wattse2000
    Quilters! I need to cry on your collective shoulders. I made an enormous, queen-size, zig zag quilt for our bed. I love it. It's the first time I've ever used flannel backing -- I believe it was the snuggle flannel from Joann's. Anyway, I finally washed it and the flannel (hot pink) has bled through to the front where the quilting lines are!!!! Oh no!!!! So, so sad Is there anything I can do now?
    I NEVER pre wash fabric, but I would never use a flannel and not wash it before. #1 reason is flannel shrinks twice as much as cottons, so it will ball up your quilt when washed and colors run - especially non quilt shop flannel. I've washed flannel 4 times before using for those reasons. That said, oxy has done a good job for me and I always use color catchers.
    Good luck
    Old 06-10-2012, 08:23 AM

So sorry that happened...... I always wash flannel before I use it for backing.....I find it shrinks way more than the cotton fabric you use for the top of the quilt. I would try Oxyclean and/or color catchers....you find those in the laundry section.....I get mine at Target.
    Old 06-10-2012, 10:08 AM

I have had very good luck using the OxiClean powder, making a thin paste with water and applying to the bled on areas and rolling up the item to set for several minutes before running thru the wash BUT that would be a lot of paste and a lot of applying to all those quilting lines. My experience has just been with an article of clothing. Good luck!
    Old 06-10-2012, 10:17 AM

So sorry for your misfortune, I alwaty pretest or prewash especially if it is a saturated color. Alap my experience with Joanna flanel has been bad, shrinks so much and fades as a rule. At least the things I seem to buy. Pretty quilt hopefull this will fade in time if other remedies dont work.

Last edited by patdesign; 06-10-2012 at 10:19 AM.