Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • My First Quilt >
  • My First Quilt

• My First Quilt

Old 03-22-2011, 01:42 PM

It's a beautiful quilt, ESPECIALLY for a first try. Maybe your Dad didn't understand the work that went into it. Or maybe he's just a clod. I made a quilt top for my brother for Christmas, Grandma hand quilted it, and neither of us has yet to receive a thank you.

But, just because some people just don't get it is no reason for you to quit quilting. You do beautiful work, and believe me, others will appreciate it. Keep your chin up!
    Old 03-22-2011, 01:46 PM

The most important thing is that the first thing that you did quilting was for your dad, and if you feel good about, dont feel bad you are not the only one. YOU DID A GREAT JOB. the colors are perfect, the quilting is perfect and your feeling about it are perfect. :thumbup:
    Old 03-22-2011, 01:48 PM
    Power Poster

That's a great tribute to your Dad's service! I'm sure he will be quite touched. Great job and keep quilting... (are you hooked yet?)

Sorry... just saw that I didn't read your whole post before commenting. :oops: There is certainly nothing wrong with the quilt or your intentions-- just your parents! Don't let it discourage you. :D
    Old 03-22-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by shihtzulover
    I just finished my first quilt that I made for my dad. He was in the U.S. Navy so I thought this would be perfect for him and mom. WOW the response I got was literally nothing. No Thank You! No that is nice! NOTHING!

Did I do something wrong? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to not get depressed and quit quilting over this.
    Your quilt is gorgeous! Please don't let their non-reaction get you down... there are plenty of us who appreciate quilts and the effort that is put into them. Just some folks don't realize what a huge gift you're giving them. Probably the only quilts they've seen are in WalMart, and made in China. I have some of those, too, and they are pretty... just don't have the love and anticipation stitched into them like we do. Chin up, girl!
    Old 03-22-2011, 01:55 PM

It is a very nice quilt. You should be very proud!!!

Sometimes our "works of love" are not appreciated nor recognized .... but we can place our confidence/happiness in the inner peace that only giving to others can provide.

Keep on quilting girlfriend!
    Old 03-22-2011, 03:51 PM

I am a new quilter and your quilt is outstanding. I would not even have attempted the project. It's wonderful.
    Old 03-22-2011, 03:54 PM

Great job for the first quilt!
    Old 03-22-2011, 04:17 PM

Some guys just can't express their feelings. You did a great job and I am sure in his own way he appreciates it.
    Old 03-22-2011, 10:58 PM

PLEASE DON'T QUIT .... that is a gorgeous quilt. I don't know why some people react the way they do to such beautiful things made just for them ... so much love and so much work just for them. I have read of many people here on QB who have had the same reaction as your Dad ... myself included ... from both my parents and a sister who even gave the quilt back to me saying that she did not want it. For some reason it is most often family. Anyway, you should be very proud of your design and workmanship. If he does not want it at all ... then give it to Quilts of Valor for our wounded service people coming home .... they often are so moved by the gift that they cry. Just PLEASE don't quit ... you have talent.
    Old 03-23-2011, 05:16 AM
    Swap Hosts

It is beautiful. Sometimes men are a little ... well, "off". And often military men are not the most verbally appreciative. I'm sure he loves it. How can he not?
    (Wife of a Marine)