Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1371 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 371 871 1271 1321 1361 1370 1371 1372 1381 1421 1471 ... LastLast
Results 34,251 to 34,275 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    Quilt addict,
    I used to live really close to where those machines are. I miss s.CA.
    Sharon W.
    (former CA beach bunny)
    Sharon, you and I are both transplants....I am a native San Fernando Valley Girl, but way before all the hype about it!! :-) Left there in 1990, and don't want to go back!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Those bowls are gorgeous! Beautiful work!!!
    Ditto!! Great wood work!

Blog Entries
    Candace, Thanks for posting the tutorial and helpful info on the Elnas.

At first, I couldn't get the link to show the info, so I took the elkgrove portion of the link to look for the link on the Elna repair.

Your orchids are very pretty!!!

Blog Entries
    Anamaria, Did you figure out how to get the hand wheel off that machine? What is the machine?

Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Anamaria, Did you figure out how to get the hand wheel off that machine? What is the machine?
    Hi Monica, No, I haven't figured out how to get the wheel off. I will keep trying if not she will come up with me to the next TOGA. I have been doing some detail cleaning, all the metal, and the inside, making her shine. Was thinking of applying shelac using Glenn's tutorial. Here is a picture of her so far. The slide plates, and bobbin winder are all done, they just need to go back on. I will post a picture when she is all done. She is looking good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grayhare,
    I think the previous post was correct, it looks to me like the small pin in the. Center of the shaft will have to be driven out with a drift pin pinch. Preferably one with a "hollow" end. A flat punch will work, but it would deformed the nicely rounded end of your pin.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
    Hi Monica, No, I haven't figured out how to get the wheel off. I will keep trying if not she will come up with me to the next TOGA. I have been doing some detail cleaning, all the metal, and the inside, making her shine. Was thinking of applying shelac using Glenn's tutorial. Here is a picture of her so far. The slide plates, and bobbin winder are all done, they just need to go back on. I will post a picture when she is all done. She is looking good.
    She is looking very PRETTY! You are definitely a meticulous worker; she shines! Plus, all your tools are so neatly lined up! Beautiful decals!!

Blog Entries

Miniature Furniture

When I am not sewing or working on sewing machines I make mine furniture in 1/12 scale. I would like to show you a few pieces. These are my wife's parlor furniture in miniature. The mini-table is setting on tip of the full size table

Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    WOW Skip!! That's WAY COOL!!

(Can you make me a mini treadle cabinet? How much? )
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Miniature furniture

This is a mini of our sofa and chair

Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    WOW Skip!! That's WAY COOL!!

(Can you make me a mini treadle cabinet? How much? )
    Sure I can but it takes time since I have no patterns to go with so I have to make my own before I start construction on these little babies. They are hand carved and turned. Do you wany one Charlee?
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    I would LOVE to have one!! Send me an email?
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

Wow!! Glenn your miniature furniture is AMAZING! You are a man of many talents! How long does it take you to make one? That is a lot of detail work! Just Beautiful!!

Blog Entries
    It usually takes about a month to complete a piece sometimes longer depends on the piece. The staining and the finish is the key to making it look real. Thank you grayhare.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    OMG!!!! I'm in LOVE...with that mini sofa. Glenn, your work is stunning!!! That charcoal gray sofa is GORGEOUS!!!
    I'll take two, one mini and one regular size. They will look lovely in my future sewing studio that I'm always dreaming about.

Stupendous work!!!

Blog Entries
    Glenn, I'm going to have to pass back through Huntsville - I don't remember Pat showing those to me!!!
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    OMG! Glenn those are exquisite! Geeze, you are a man of many talents - from the crocheted spool pin doillies to the miniature furniture - and you sew too! I also heard from a little bird that you work on clocks too!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Nancy,

I'm coming up for air for a few minutes. Moving is the pits!!!!

I agree with Candace completely. Most of the old Elnas (prior to the Star series) will have a flat spot on the motor pulley if they have been sitting for any length of time. In the trade the noise they make is called the 'Elna growl'. The fact that the noise has a name tells you just how common it is. If you find one and have to have it, I can resurface or replace the pulley as I have the tool to do it. I personally resurface anytime I can, as it is so much easier than the replacement.

OK, going back into hiding and packing,
    Cathy
    Cathy, I will remember this if I ever get an Elna in need of resurfacing! Thank you! What a blessing that we have you on this board now!

I'd bet taking an Elna to Ray's class would be good too?

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
    Anamaria WOW, you do great work - and so neat about it too! When I have a machine taken apart, it is usually all over the kitchen counter! Your work just looks so neat and tidy! What a cute little machine too! It looks like my little New Home T No 3!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Cathy, I will remember this if I ever get an Elna in need of resurfacing! Thank you! What a blessing that we have you on this board now!

I'd bet taking an Elna to Ray's class would be good too?

Nancy
    YES it would be a fantastic idea!!!! Do take his class - he doesn't recommend resurfacing though.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Miriam,

Ray and I have had the replacement VS resurfacing discussion several times. I still resurface as needed.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    YES it would be a fantastic idea!!!! Do take his class - he doesn't recommend resurfacing though.
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    Ok Guys and Gals...here's one for ya! This is a four foot "cowtag sewing machine" as seen on our much beloved Craig's List for Salt Lake City....a mere $499!! http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/atd/2966217034.html

Name:  Cowtag sewing machine.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  66.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    Wow!! Those are beautiful. What talent. We have a local guy who hand turns wooden bowls, and sets up a booth at the local monthly music show to display/sell them, but is kind enough to donate one for a door prize also. Guess who the lucky winner was last month, and whose dear husband immediately put it on the shelf with his "hunting stuff" and filled it with his goodies. As much as he tolerates my sewing, I just told him how good it looked.
    Wow, how wonderful.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/