Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-02-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Is this patriotic enough for you, Glenn? It is "semi" sewing related--the "bunting" is Daisy Kingdom panels from some years back. Unfortunately though, it was hemmed on a serger.
Originally Posted by Glenn
I want to wish all on this board a Happy 4th of July and celebrate in the American Spirit. Show your flags. I am a vet and want to see lots of flags. Glenn
Miz Johnny, Geeze did you do the hanging or did your DH do that! What an undertaking, first to sew all the panels together and hem them - even with a serger! Or are the panels all individual? Love it!

Nancy
Old 07-02-2011, 06:54 AM

Wonderful Victorian decals on your machine!!
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by lee231
vinagemotif

Got a pic of a MW treadle today that has the bracket to hold up the drop leaf. Will have to wait until power is back on to use my other computer to read the phone card and transfer the pic. It's a swing out piece that looks like a ornamental iron shelf bracket.
Lee,
Yes, I would like to see what the bracket looks like. I spent some time googling for an image of the cabinet with bracket today, but did not find an image of the bracket. Most images were of the side down. Even though I will not be hunting down a bracket for this cabinet, I would like to see what the original looks like. Maybe one day the bracket will show up for me to assemble on this machine. But for now, I'm planning to rig up some metal plate that will swing into place to hold the top up.

The cabinet is all assembled, treadle is oiled and runs smoothly, and machine is all cleaned up. I just need handles for the drawers and some pseudo bracket. For 122 years old, she makes a very pretty stitch!
Old 07-02-2011, 06:59 AM

Oh, don't be too impressed--the only hard thing about it was going around all those angles on a serger. As for the hanging, it's stuck up there with clothespins, and I noticed this am that one has fallen down.
I am of the "make it work somehow" mentality. I once kept a dryer going for years with a magnet to keep the door shut. Why do things properly when you can use a clothes pin or magnet??

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Miz Johnny, Geeze did you do the hanging or did your DH do that! What an undertaking, first to sew all the panels together and hem them - even with a serger! Or are the panels all individual? Love it!

Nancy
Old 07-02-2011, 07:15 AM

I want to wish all on this board a Happy 4th of July and celebrate in the American Spirit. Show your flags. I am a vet and want to see lots of flags. Glenn

Thank you Glenn for your service to this great country of ours.

Our flag is proudly flying as well.

My father served in the Navy during WWII.
I have a nephew serving now who was named after my Dad.
He is a Navy seal. So grateful for his service as well.

I know we have others on this board who have served and ones who have loved ones still serving. And then there are those unselfish ones who gave their lives for our freedom. May we never forget them and their sacrifice.

Thank you one and all for keeping this great country of ours free.

May we all have a most happy & blessed 4th of July holiday.

Blessings to all,
Sandi
Old 07-02-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
vinagemotif

Got a pic of a MW treadle today that has the bracket to hold up the drop leaf. Will have to wait until power is back on to use my other computer to read the phone card and transfer the pic. It's a swing out piece that looks like a ornamental iron shelf bracket.
Lee,
Yes, I would like to see what the bracket looks like. I spent some time googling for an image of the cabinet with bracket today, but did not find an image of the bracket. Most images were of the side down. Even though I will not be hunting down a bracket for this cabinet, I would like to see what the original looks like. Maybe one day the bracket will show up for me to assemble on this machine. But for now, I'm planning to rig up some metal plate that will swing into place to hold the top up.

The cabinet is all assembled, treadle is oiled and runs smoothly, and machine is all cleaned up. I just need handles for the drawers and some pseudo bracket. For 122 years old, she makes a very pretty stitch!
Thank you! Miriam, thank you very much to take time out to post these photos for me. I greatly appreciate that! I now know what the bracket looks like, if I ever do come across one (one shows up with another machine or I'm in a vintage store), and location on the cabinet.

I think I could find something that works the same way; it will not have the ornateness.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:15 AM

Found this machine at the re store its 45$ but today its half off. If anyone is intrested its near pittsburgh. Has everything even a buttonholer and walking foot
Attached Thumbnails attachment-219741.jpe   attachment-219742.jpe   attachment-219743.jpe  
Old 07-02-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
A happy 4th to you too! I have my flag out and changed my avatar!
Monica, I love the quilt! Did you make it? I also made a flag quilt!

Nancy
This one I did not. My mom did! She surprised all her kids one 4th (many many years ago) with a flag quilt. I love this because she even hand-quilted it.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Wonderful Victorian decals on your machine!!
vinagemotif

Lee,

Thank you! I'm planning to make a baby quilt with her, and the quilt fabric will have a vintage motif.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
vinagemotif

Lee,

Mirian that bracket is so cool!! I like that setup a lot.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by jljack
Tonite right after work I get to pick up my FW....I haven't even seen her whole self yet!! I'm excited!!
Janice, I can't remember if you have other FWs. If you don't, I can guarantee you that you will enjoy your new one. Congrats...
This is my first FW, and I have her home. No pics yet. She was born approx. May 1957, came with bobbins but no other attachments. Looks like original cords and pedal, and they are in great condition. She's a little rougher than I would have liked, but I'm pleased to have her. Don't know how I'm gonna tell DH about her....she's hiding in her case under my sewing table against the wall for now. And spent a whole lot more than $7 on her (unlike Abby), so I may not be OK!!! LOL
You will love her. I spent $250 on mine and have never regretted a penny. Course, my DH drove me 3 hours north to pick her up so no hiding there. :-D