Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-30-2013, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty View Post
Mike, let her know that comes in it's own little box and she won't know that it's there
Good suggestion but she knows how cute they are and how small they are, so I might just have to hide it for a while in the car. Hope she doesn't find it before Summer - my car gets mighty cold at night

Congratulation Charlee - I'm not in a hurry for grandchildren (eldest is nearly 14), but from all accounts it is wonderful. In ten years we'll both be ready

Mike
Old 07-30-2013, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
my car gets mighty cold at night
Speaking of being cold at night... at least you can sew something to keep yourself warm if she kicks you out
Old 07-30-2013, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by frudemoo View Post
Speaking of being cold at night... at least you can sew something to keep yourself warm if she kicks you out
I know, I know... "Those in glass houses......."
Old 07-30-2013, 11:00 PM

I know, I know... "Those in glass houses......."
... get really hot in Summer. Yes, I could sew up a storm and be really comfortable living in my car

Have to also share a (true) story from the beginning of this month. A friend of mine organised to visit on a Sunday morning after the meeting of his scooter club, in order to get my 1957 Lambretta started.
So, eight people turn up: six men and two of their wives. After getting the beast (ha ha) working, we're all chatting away. I mentioned to the guy who started the scooter about my sewing machines. Another guy turned around and said "sewing machines?". Seems all but one of them were *very* interested in old sewing machines, and most of them could sew. We went inside and marvelled at all the lovely old machines, spoke of the decals and different models etc.
The women did that disinterested eye-roll thing, normally reserved for when men are standing around looking at cars. One of the guys actually suggested having a day where we all come over to his house, do a bit of sewing, he'll cook lunch, talk about scooters...

This really happened, and if the meeting eventuates, I'm taking a camera (nobody will believe it otherwise).

Mike
Old 07-31-2013, 12:17 AM

One of the guys actually suggested having a day where we all come over to his house, do a bit of sewing, he'll cook lunch, talk about scooters...
And you're inviting me, right?
Old 07-31-2013, 01:27 AM

And you're inviting me, right?
If you like a vintage scooter, consider yourself invited
Old 07-31-2013, 01:39 AM
Power Poster

... get really hot in Summer. Yes, I could sew up a storm and be really comfortable living in my car

Have to also share a (true) story from the beginning of this month. A friend of mine organised to visit on a Sunday morning after the meeting of his scooter club, in order to get my 1957 Lambretta started.
So, eight people turn up: six men and two of their wives. After getting the beast (ha ha) working, we're all chatting away. I mentioned to the guy who started the scooter about my sewing machines. Another guy turned around and said "sewing machines?". Seems all but one of them were *very* interested in old sewing machines, and most of them could sew. We went inside and marvelled at all the lovely old machines, spoke of the decals and different models etc.
The women did that disinterested eye-roll thing, normally reserved for when men are standing around looking at cars. One of the guys actually suggested having a day where we all come over to his house, do a bit of sewing, he'll cook lunch, talk about scooters...

This really happened, and if the meeting eventuates, I'm taking a camera (nobody will believe it otherwise).

Mike
I am not one tiny little bit surprised at you guys and sewing. I would say 75% - 95% of the machines I sell have gone to men or men have come along with women. Usually men who either sew or want to sew or they are VERY interested in the machines. So far not one man has admitted to being a quilter. They love the machines and they come up with all kinds of things they want to make. Most want a machine for a business venture of some sort. I love it. I've had to teach a few how to work a machine. They are very intense about learning. My boss sews. I've never seen anything he's made but he loves to sew costumes. One guy has a little business sewing bow ties - he's bought 2 machines. Another guy sews bicycle bags and he's had two machines. Another guy bought one to learn to sew so he can teach himself upholstery. He was catching on when he left. Another guy makes puppets. Another guy was mending sails on his boat. Another guy bought one for his sister. And on it goes. I love it when bikers show up. They go nuts over the old machines. One guy bought a machine because his wife won't let him use hers. She is so smart...
Old 07-31-2013, 05:16 AM

I'm not surprised either. Back in the early 70s I was teaching Home Ec at a middle school where the girls took Home Ec while the boys took wood shop. Then they'd switch and I'd have only boys for 6 weeks. The boys were very focused on the sewing and the cooking. They made some great things. Later on, co-ed class became the 'way to do things' and I'd have both girls and boys in class at the same time. The boys were still more focused and got the better job most of the time. I don't know if they were afraid they'd be outdone so they tried harder or because the girls acted so flighty around the boys. But guys certainly appreciate well made machines so maybe that's why they like the vintage machines so much.

My DMIL never did any sewing so when I got married (48 years ago) my DH would sit and watch me..... it used to make me nervous..... but he was really fascinated at my putting together things with my sewing machine. He's not so fascinated now a days, but he still is really happy for me when I find another sewing treasure and often points them out at auctions if I don't see them right off.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
but he was really fascinated at my putting together things with my sewing machine.
Awesome! I can so relate to this. Watching heather make something out of nothing inspired me to learn to make clothes.

Steve
Old 07-31-2013, 05:48 PM

Nanna, very interesting observations.