Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-18-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Thought you all might like to see how my GFs and I are spending the first night of a long weekend!!
How did Pam get a homemade cam for that 316?

Nancy
Old 03-18-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by goosepoint
Hello Everyone - I have taken the plunge and bought my first vintage machine. 'Rachel' will be here next week. She is a vintage White Rotary and her case is pretty stunning.
But I wanted your opinion on another little orphan that is lurking at my door. Ms Ruby is looking for a new home. Check out her photos. Her dad is asking $80 and I have a gut feeling that she is worth every penny. She works perfectly he says but she appears to be a little neglected. Any opinions are greatly appreciated before I commit to traveling 3 hours to rescue her.
I love Rachel and Ruby, and yes I'd pay $80 for that machine and cabinet without hesitation!

Nancy
Old 03-18-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by goosepoint
I have a stupid question = is a 'parlor' cabinet not necessary a good thing? I am use to seeing the beautiful traditonal cabinets with the drawers and one of these days I will acquire one. I am assuming that the parlor cabinet was favored because it was not obvious that it was a sewing machine. Would someone educate me a little please? I kind of like it not being quite so obvious.
Goosepoint, yes the Parlor cabinet was a more expensive model and still is because you could put the machine in the "parlor" with it not looking like a sewing machine at all!

Nancy
Old 03-18-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by emmah
Couldn't wait for help, so applied logic. I took apart the presser foot mechanism and found that there were two springs inside a tube that had become entwined together. Twisted them apart and re inserted them in the tube, and...tada......presser foot now clamps down. (Guess I am getting braver in my old age.)
Wow! That is impressive!

Nancy
Old 03-18-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by emmah
It's an epidemic! A month ago I had a nice clean living room, but now look at it. It is a machine shop and reeks of kerosene. The two treadles and the Singer 99 I got from a Craigslist ad in a remote PA location, cost $25 for all three. (All need some parts, but not too bad condition) The Singer 237 a friend picked up for $10. Needs a bobbin case. The Singer 27 I got on ebay cause it was cheaper than the parts if bought individually for the treadle, but even tho it is in rough shape, it is all there except for the shuttle. So I am sad to be robbing it to fix the other. Does anyone know of a source for vintage parts reasonably priced?

Billy, our guru, has parts here you can order from him. PM him to tell him what you need!

What a living room!

Nancy
Old 03-18-2011, 06:26 AM
Banned

Oh boy I am gone for a couple of days and there are tons of pages to read.

I have been in the garage and busting my you know what trying to get a 1940 Ford Coupe ready for paint. Well today I will be gone most of the day because I am shooting it in a few hours. This thing will be back in the trailer and ready to go home next week. I have had this thing together and apart a dozen times it seems and I have it completely blown apart and ready for paint. I have pulled several all nighters with this one! Lucky for me its just the body and fenders without the chassis so I really do not have to worry about taping off much.

But I will be back on sewing machine duty this weekend and next week. I did get a few repaints out this week and I will show you one of them now. My camera is in the garage and I really do not want to go out there until I am ready to go to work again, otherwise I would be posting some more of them.

Billy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-171350.jpe  
Old 03-18-2011, 06:43 AM

That repaint is beautiful, Billy!

Does anyone know if a Singer 185j can be converted to a hand crank? I already have the spoked wheel and hand crank.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

Does anyone know if a Singer 185j can be converted to a hand crank? I already have the spoked wheel and hand crank.
Yep it can but the bobbin winder will not work on it. I have already tried this one and it looks really neat and if you have a way to wind the bobbins for the machine then your good to go!

Billy
Old 03-18-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

Yep it can but the bobbin winder will not work on it. I have already tried this one and it looks really neat and if you have a way to wind the bobbins for the machine then your good to go!

Billy
Will my 201 be able to wind bobbins for the 185? My 185 didn't come with any bobbins and I'm having a hard time finding which type it will take. From what I can gather, it is the same as the 66, 99 and 201 machines (all of which I have).
Old 03-18-2011, 07:51 AM

Is there anything worth saving on a broken hand wheel? Does it come apart or is the whole thing toast?

I just don't want to pitch it then find out there are good parts to it.