Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-22-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I took the machine to Girls' Night Out last night to clean and use the machine. Nancy

Nancy I enjoyed seeing your new Kenmore last night. I was very impressed with your patience while working on the FW.
Maybe one night you can show us all how to clean and oil our machines as you are the best. Kathie
Kathie, I am quite envious. I wished I lived closer to you. "Girls Night Out" sounds fun! It's wonderful to be able to share our odd passion for vintage sewing machines with others. That is what's so wonderful about the VSMS.
Usually, I get a strange look when I tell people that I enjoy cleaning and working with old sewing machines. Once, I thought I must of had food in my teeth or bad breath based upon the looks I received. A very well meaning lady shared that her favorite SM was a top of the line Bernina. When I told her that my favorite was an old 1953 Singer 206K, she offered to sell me her 1990 Brother SM thinking this was the only SM I could afford. I just smiled and thanked her for her thoughtfulness. I am glad you get a chance to have a "Girls Night Out".

Judy
Old 05-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Banned

I wish I could go on a "Girls night out".......... :mrgreen:

Billy
Old 05-22-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I wish I could go on a "Girls night out".......... :mrgreen:

Billy
Lol. Billy you'd just get into trouble or end up with more work :)
Old 05-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Banned

LOL I vote for trouble!!

Billy
Old 05-22-2011, 09:02 PM

[quote=Lostn51]I wish I could go on a "Girls night out".......... :mrgreen:

Billy, I wish you could go too. We could learn a lot from you. We have a lot of fun and the food is not bad either. If any of you are in our area you are more than welcome to come join us. Kathie

:lol:
Old 05-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Banned

Are you in So Cal?

Billy
Old 05-23-2011, 12:22 AM

[quote=Lostn51]Are you in So Cal?

Billy
I am just North of Sacramento. Kathie
Old 05-23-2011, 01:31 AM

I feel very sorry for those that learned to sew on a Singer 758 Touch and Sew. These machines are a piece of crap, at least the free one that my neighbor gave me the other day is. I got it to sew after a long time of playing with it, then I tested to see if the bobbin worked and after that I can't for the life of me get the tension correct now. I took it apart, cleaned it, looked for any stray thread that had gotten under the bobbin area, oiled it, and even took the top plate off and checked the upper tension mechanism. I feel so sorry for my neighbor since she doesn't sew, and she was using this dang piece of s.... to teach her daughter how to sew. And this was a machine that she picked up for free from a friend's mom that had been a seamstress. Makes me wonder if the seamstress ever used this machine. I wouldn't, but then I learned to sew on a Necchi Supernova. Eeks, I want to Touch and Throw this machine; not sew with it. Sorry for the rant.

So, for all of those that learned to sew on one of these s..... pieces of machinery, please treat yourself to a Featherweight or 201- those are excellent machines. Ok, I'm done for the night.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I feel very sorry for those that learned to sew on a Singer 758 Touch and Sew. These machines are a piece of crap, at least the free one that my neighbor gave me the other day is. I got it to sew after a long time of playing with it, then I tested to see if the bobbin worked and after that I can't for the life of me get the tension correct now. I took it apart, cleaned it, looked for any stray thread that had gotten under the bobbin area, oiled it, and even took the top plate off and checked the upper tension mechanism. I feel so sorry for my neighbor since she doesn't sew, and she was using this dang piece of s.... to teach her daughter how to sew. And this was a machine that she picked up for free from a friend's mom that had been a seamstress. Makes me wonder if the seamstress ever used this machine. I wouldn't, but then I learned to sew on a Necchi Supernova. Eeks, I want to Touch and Throw this machine; not sew with it. Sorry for the rant.

So, for all of those that learned to sew on one of these s..... pieces of machinery, please treat yourself to a Featherweight or 201- those are excellent machines. Ok, I'm done for the night.
The bobbin itself could be the problem. I hate those Torch & Throw machines too. But the bobbins get nicked up or warped or what ever - try a brand new bobbin in there and see if it works. The 600's weren't too bad if you can get the bobbin to work. After that they used plastic. Best to stick with 500s or older - they were all metal and they work just fine. Before you throw out the Torch and Throw, save the parts... LOL They work on the 4 & 500 series - well, some do...
Old 05-23-2011, 02:22 AM

Several years ago my little brother gave me a Singer Sphinx. The serial number is AG145468, which I think makes her a 1940s model. There is no bobbin in the case, does she use those metal bobbins? Can anyone tell me how best to clean the outside, and what is best for cleaning her inner parts? Oh and as long as I'm begging, someone duct taped the light onto the ? saddle, bridge, uh what do you call it, horizontal upper part. Will need to find out how it should have been attached. Gosh, I'm so in love thanks to this thread, wouldn't have even tried to restore her without you.