Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-23-2011, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
In the 500A that I just got recently, If it is not threaded it will sit and "sew" like mad. No catching or glitches or anything.

Go look for another machine, 301, 201, FW, 15s. They work, and easy to repair. I forgot what machines you already have, but don't waste your time on that one.
I don't agree with Monica on this one. I love my 503a! I would rather use that machine for decorative stitches than my $7,000 Pfaff! It is a great machine and it really looks cool too! I use that 503a for all my decorative stitches now -- I love to do the little Patchabilities and Monthly Mini's. I put the appliques' on with a decorative stitch or use #8 cam -- don't get rid of that machine!

Nancy
Nancy, I have nothing against the Rocketeers, 500A or 503A.
I think they are way cool looking machines! If I were looking for an electric machine, this would be the machine I would go after, but I not into electric right now.

I agree, keep that machine. I just forgot it was the "Jeston" machine.

Oh, I like your new avatar too.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:20 PM

So excited, hubby is really getting into this whole "collecting old stuff" and he never does anything half-arsed! LoL!

I, erhmm ... I mean *WE* are picking up 2 more old girls weds. One is a Singer model 66 Redeye and the other is a Singer model 27 Sphinx. The Sphinx is a 1902, SN K404551 and I am not sure about the 66 yet as the aren't being very helpful with sharing the SN on it.

From what we have been told of the 66, it was found in an old farmhouse that had been sitting for 60 years, the guy had no idea what to ask for it and just wanted it gone. Hubby offered $20 and the guy said thank you! LoL

The 66s cabinet is most likely junk as what is shown in pics has a broken piece in front of the machine so I can only guess what the rest looks like. This old girl looks a bit rough as well, but for $20 I sure ain't gonna complain much. I figure if anything, we can learn a lot about fixing and restoring without being out a ton of cash.

I am so excited about the Sphinx though, she is in really good shape. The decals look to be all there and intact.

I will post pics here as soon as hubby emails them to me.

This will make 3 antique treadles for me and one vintage electric. Plus my 3 "modern" Brothers I have in the studio. I am gonna get rid of 2 of the Brothers as I now prefer the "old ways" of sewing after using a treadle. Only keeping the 3rd one since it's the one I got for Christmas and does basic monogramming for my quilt labels.

This is nutz, this new addiction. I dream about all these old girls regularly! It's fun to imagine all the people that have used them, or admired them, or those that watched grandma's and great-grandma's sewing on them.

I am so grateful to Billy and the rest of this board for all they do for us newbies!! Hubby and I love saving them from landfills or even worse... becomming Book Ends!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:27 PM

Here are the pics I have so far of them.

only pic I have of the 66
[ATTACH=CONFIG]201559[/ATTACH]

the 27 opened
[ATTACH=CONFIG]201560[/ATTACH]

27 close-up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]201561[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-201553.jpe   attachment-201554.jpe   attachment-201555.jpe  
Old 05-23-2011, 11:01 PM

buslady, please don't tell me the 66 in Mt Pleasant is a Redeye or I will on the road.

PJisChaos, The Sphinx is lovely and the cabinet looks good. Some cabinets just don't show the wear, so they? The Redeye should clean up well.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:06 AM

I got the Singer 758 to work again. I played around with the bobbin area again. I re-cleaned it and found a bobbin that didn't look warped to use. I'm happy to get it working! Now back to my treadles and next project.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Does anyone have a Paragon Standard Treadle Sewing Machine. Going to look at one tomorrow evening. Price is right if it is not junk. She thinks it is around 1914.
Tommie
Well, the lady said it just needed "cleaning up". Wrong, the cabinet is toast and the head has no decals whatsover left. So it stayed there.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:05 AM

Nancy, thanks for your reply, the bulb in there is fairly new, I replaced it and so did the repair guy! So I don't think it's the bulb going, it's physically shaky like there is something loose in there. Does that mean I've got to pull the whole light apparatus off and reseat it? Is that a tough job, should I just live with it?

Decals: I read online before I found QB to use Tuffstuff and the decals looked ok for a long time, then I had to put her in her box and when I took her out they looked faded. I'm worried that I damaged them! I would hate to think I made them worse.

And thanks for answering I hadn't gotten a reply.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by Suzi
Hmmmmmmmmmm - my "newer" Singer that I picked up at a garage sale for $5 is one of those plastic ones with the Model 774 on the front, but it doesn't say "Touch and Sew". Anyone know anything about the 774?
I know about the 774!! I have one that I bought in 1975 and I still have it. I'm very nostalgic about it because I used to sew clothing for myself and my kids on it. I also sewed my first quilt on it back in the early '80's.

It is called a "Stylist". Models 774 and 734 are the same except the 774 has the hinged bed for free arm sewing. It makes a great button-hole. When I bought it I took a class at the Singer store to learn how to use it and I was taught how to make the buttonholes during that class. I'm so glad that I did because I had never made a buttonhole before and found it to be easy and sort of fun using this machine.
Thanks so much for the reply, Cathy ..... I was begining to think that my 774 was the only one around. It has no attachments (for $5 what can you expect?) but it sews simple fancy stitches and a nice straight stitch. I can't get it to make a wide zigzag but will play with it some more down the road. It was so gummed up when we got it home that it would barely turn but is now humming away. It certainly is alot of fun taking one of these vintage machines (even if it IS plastic) that won't do a thing and bringing it back to being functional.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:51 AM

Thanks for the links, Miriam. It doesn't seem to be a very popular or common machine. I'm not sure I need another machine that badly just now. (was that a huge sigh of relief from my husband??)

Nancy

[quote=miriam]

Does anyone have a Singer 631G?

SO will the real Singer 631G please stand up.
It looks like a 600 variation of some sort to me. The 600s were still all metal. They just have the &*@#*$%!#)%*#)% Touch & Sew bobbin winder
Old 05-24-2011, 04:09 AM

Hi Miriam, The bobbin winder isn't the greatest I'm guessing from the way it winds...It's a little soft and spongy and alot of crossover spooling. I really wasn't paying too much attention to the loop of thread from the beginning of the winding and apparently it created a real mess and getting stuck. After first getting the button to work I wasn't sure of where it was supposed to be for normal sewing. to the right? up? down? so I removed the bobbin and played with it to see what it actually did to the bobbin case. The button actually raises and lowers the area inside the bobbin case to engage it for winding. I also didn't have it all seated correctly. So after all my efforts last night I finally got it to sew correctly. Now I have to figure out a way to not have a bobbin that is softly wound on this machine.