Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

LOL, we found another old machine on craigslist. Hopefully later I can have Rob post a picture. Its a Free Westinghouse, by the Free sewing machine company in Rockford Il. This one is cute, golden, but no book or anything, and the bottom tension isnt working well. Does anyone know where the serial number is...or maybe there isnt one? I've searched.....
Old 06-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SherriB
Oh, I have one more question for everyone. I was at the Salvation Army with DD (my enabler) today when I should have been sleeping. (Worked last night and have work tonight) They had their nick nacks 1/2 off. I was browsing around and found these 2 sewing boxes. The Griest was $2.00 and the other was $1.00. I opened them up and almost squealed! LOL

The Griest had all original feet in it in excellent condition!!! The other was a no brand name for $1.00. Can either sets of feet work on my #66? Or any other machine as well? I only paid $2.19 for both boxes, so either way is a win. I love old sewing notions and have even started collecting them! LOL :mrgreen: :oops:
The Griest will work as long as you do not have a 66-1 or 66-3 they were a rear clamp machine like Purplefiend stated.

The ones at the bottom the "Rotary Attachments" are for a low shank Zig Zag machine more than likely a Japanese model judging from the way they connect to the presserbar.

But you did real good shopping today!!!

Billy
Old 06-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Banned

Darcene, here is your Feather Weight ready for the post office!!

The machine itself is secured with pieces of Foam board cut out to fit the contour of your machine all of the way to the top of the lid. I then encapsulated the case with 2 layers of blue foam board totaling 1 1/2" thick, then built a double box to box it up with.

This thing could go to China and live to tell about it!!! But here is the photos of it ready to leave the house and off to you!!

Billy

Momma I am coming home!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]76856[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-76851.jpe   attachment-76852.jpe  
Old 06-01-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
But here is the photos of it ready to leave the house and off to you!!

Billy
I love that bench!!!!!
Old 06-01-2010, 02:58 PM

Billy, you packaged that so well! I wish everyone who shipped machines would do as well!
Old 06-01-2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Billy or Charlee, My hubbie just bought me a new old machine today. If you remember I talked to you last week about buying a machine called "The Free" well we oiled it some and got it running but not going to use it until we do a good cleaning. But, back to what I got today. It's another "Free" only this one is a treadle. Has a date of 1907. the model number is 873674. There is a lot of attachments with it and the original manual was still in the drawer also there is a warrenty paper from the company with Will Free's signature. Every thing works but there was no needles again so what would you recomend? The manual just tells me what number to use for what thread size but not the needle size. My DH bought it from the orginal owner's granddaughter and it has been stored in a garage. The cabinet is in fairly good shape and is a curved cabinet. With 6 drawers. When you raise the lid the machine comes up on it's own. Or auto. Will take pictures as soon as we get our garden caught up.
Here are the Pictures

Free treadle cabnet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77125[/ATTACH]

The Free machine (treadle)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77126[/ATTACH]

Attachments and manual w/warrenty
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77127[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-77120.jpe   attachment-77121.jpe   attachment-77122.jpe  
Old 06-01-2010, 04:27 PM

The download that Aurora posted is just what I needed. Thanks so much.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:29 PM

Here is a picture of my table top Free Sewing machine that is electric. Bought this one last Tuesday and the treadle on Mon. of this week. :lol: :lol: There is also a picture of a Bell Air Bantam Machine (electric). Cute little machine. :lol: 8-)

Free Table Top (electric)Walnut case
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77131[/ATTACH]

BelAir Bantam (electric)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77132[/ATTACH]

Back side of BelAir
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77133[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-77126.jpe   attachment-77127.jpe   attachment-77128.jpe  
Old 06-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Banned

OK dumb question time....

I have my machine all disassembled and ready to clean. The handwheel does not soak in the kerosene does it??? Or does it?? If not, how do I clean it???
Old 06-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BKinCO
OK dumb question time....

I have my machine all disassembled and ready to clean. The handwheel does not soak in the kerosene does it??? Or does it?? If not, how do I clean it???
You can soak it if you want to, I did mine. Then just clean it up with the hand cleaner and polish and your good to go.

Which reminds me I need to post the assembly part of the tutorial...... :roll:

Billy