Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-03-2010, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by husband-of-a-quilter
. This one is an Ideal Electric, I have no ideal how old it is and it seems to be in very good condition. I have searched the internet but to no luck so I will keep trying. Since I am new here is there a way to just search this thread if I am looking for a particular machine? Thank you for letting me share this.
Well, I have looked also and the only thing I could find were Ideal Sewing Machines that were hand crank and only chain stitch. There was an Ideal Sewing Machine Co located in the UK in the early 1920's.

You can do a 'search' of this site up at the top under the title. I tried that too and didn't come up with anything like your machine. You must be the only one on this site with that machine? It looks like a rare find to me. I'd buy it just because it is so cute and inexpensive!

Nancy
Old 08-03-2010, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Billy or anyone familiar with 503 Singer. Any thoughts. Any good? Here is an add I saw in my area.
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/art/1876862179.html
Thanks!
wow! just like the one I got last week without the table or bench, I paid $10.

I see you are in SD, where? I am from La Mesa, mother and one sister still there.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Billy I also have a 99K serial number EL260583 -- What year is this machine? Sometime in 1956?
March 13 1956

Billy
Ok Billy, I don't know how you know the exact date but here is my Featherweight.

AE000531 -- can you tell me the date of this machine?

Nancy
Old 08-03-2010, 06:09 AM

Can I get that part?

Nancy[/quote

I dont see the little wire on my machine Nancy. And the first loop that the thread goes through is not there either. It is just a piece of wire that looks like it is missing the hook part. But this machine may differ because it is a 9W-7.

Billy
Ok I printed out the manual for the Singer 9W. On page 6 it has a section on "To Put in a Thread Controller Spring" so replacing that spring must of been a common thing. There is also a section on needles that says I need a Variety 9 N 1 needle. The manual says I can get parts or needles at "any Singer Shop."

Billy is the Variety 9 N 1 a Boye 18 needle?

Nancy
Old 08-03-2010, 06:31 AM

Billy I also have a 99K serial number EL260583 -- What year is this machine? Sometime in 1956?
March 13 1956

Billy
Ok Billy, I don't know how you know the exact date but here is my Featherweight.

AE000531 -- can you tell me the date of this machine?

Nancy

September 23 1935

If you go to the singer website you can look up when a machine was made form the serial numbers.
Hope that helps
Old 08-03-2010, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

I learned to sew on my mom's Pfaff in Europe. When we immigrated she left it behind because difference in electric. Low and behold I see one on CL that looks just like it.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/atq/1878230694.html

In a way I am tempted to buy it but it will still not be the same machine. KWIM? Also it is a bit much to just buy it.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
Does anyone know who manufactured this machine? It's pretty and simple...thinking about gettin'it.
It looks to be a Koyo but it is hard to tell. Is there a serial number on the base of the machine with a SKxxxxx on it?

Billy
Old 08-03-2010, 08:54 AM

Hey Billy,
Would you mind reposting the picture of your National with the Lily decal? I've looked through almost every post and can't seem to find it. Maybe I am loosing my mind and someone else posted it. idk - but I would love it if we were able to create a "photo album section" for everyones machines.

Judy
Old 08-03-2010, 09:51 AM

So I am wondering, should I clean this machine up (per Billy's tut) before I try to do anything w/it? What causes the decals to "silver"? This machine is so pretty that I do not want to do any damage to it if possible.

Also, what is the best thing to use to clean the cast iron f
frame?

Thanks,
Jenna
Old 08-03-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I learned to sew on my mom's Pfaff in Europe. When we immigrated she left it behind because difference in electric. Low and behold I see one on CL that looks just like it.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/atq/1878230694.html

In a way I am tempted to buy it but it will still not be the same machine. KWIM? Also it is a bit much to just buy it.
Annaquilts, I'd love to see the machine, but right now my computer is not behaving.

Nancy