Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Banned

Hi All You fearless leader is here!! :lol:

Another thing you can do is shoot an automotive clear over the machine but its really tricky to do and to do it right. I have shot a few with clear and it wasnt fun but they came out like they were just out of the boxes.

Billy
Old 01-21-2011, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by JaneK
I have a new to me machine, too! It was
-10 degrees when I woke up this AM and I seriously thought about skipping the estate sale I had planned to go to. But, sturdy girl that I am, I braved the elements and found a lovely 15-91 in a cabinet with tons of accessories and a buttonholer and manuals for $40.00.
We have those low temps heading our way, this weekend, and I plan on staying nice and warm inside my house. I hate the cold!!! You got a really nice deal, though!! Did it look that clean and shiny when you got it or did you clean it up?
Old 01-21-2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Another thing you can do is shoot an automotive clear over the machine but its really tricky to do and to do it right. I have shot a few with clear and it wasnt fun but they came out like they were just out of the boxes.

Billy
Hi fearless leader! I have been reading about french polishing. Looks like a way for me to use on the cabinet, but I'm afraid to use on the machine. And as to your method of automotive clear, I don't think I could handle that either. What should be done with the areas that are bubbled up? Help! :)
Old 01-21-2011, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Nancy Thanks for the site on Blue Magic. Can I buy it at autozone? Glenn
No my local Auto Zone does not carry it, but they know what it is and what it does! I had to order it from Amazon.

Nancy
Old 01-21-2011, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
Has anyone attended a TOGA (Treadle On Gathering and Academy)?

If you're not familiar with them, check here
http://www.treadleon.net/fleamarket/events.htm
No I haven't, but I think I should start attending these events. :)
There is so much to learn about these vintage machines. I would love to meet others who love to treadle. Thanks for the post!
Old 01-21-2011, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by JaneK
It was-10 degrees when I woke up this AM and I seriously thought about skipping the estate sale I had planned to go to. But, sturdy girl that I am, I braved the elements and found a lovely 15-91 in a cabinet with tons of accessories and a buttonholer and manuals for $40.00. I've been wanting a good quilting vintage machine, and as I've had such irritating snafus with my 201-2, this was a good find. Sews beautifully, too. I'm still working on the 201...I'll update with that story going forward.
Beautiful 15-91! Great buy too!

Nancy
Old 01-21-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy
Hey you fearless leader what do you think about the Blue Magic stuff? Have you ever tried it on one of your machines?

Nancy
Old 01-21-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Nancy, I read her blog today while looking for methods of cleaning. I think that is where I first read about TR3. I purchased mine a couple of months ago. I used it on a Singer which was not a problem since the shellac covers the decals. On the Two Spools, the decals turn silver on the bed, but NOT from the TR3. The decals turn during the cleaning with the Go Jo. I think that had to do with the fact that the shellac was already shot and decals were not protected. I did use the TR3 on the rest of the machine, but tried not to wipe over the decals. I had no problems there, those areas look great. I'm afraid I might mess up the decals when I clean my Davis machine though. So I have been researching. My husband says not to use TR3 over the decals, only the black japan area. He states it isn't meant to be used over painted areas, like the decals. My decals on the Davis don't look like they are protected with shellac like the Singers are. My husband also says not to use the TR3 over the area of the bed that the shellac or glaze looks raised with tiny bubbles.
Monica,
From what I understand WD40 is only bad if you spray it where you should be oiling because it will eventually harden and gum up the machine. If you are just cleaning with it, that is fine.

The Blue Magic is suppose to not harm the decals, but since you posted this, when I get mine I am going to clean something like my little 99k first just to see what it does do. According to the guy I talked to at Auto Zone the Blue Magic did wonders to shine up his grandmother's treadle and according to http://www.grandmotherssewingmachine..._machines.html it works wonders on shinning up, cleaning up the treadles. I will have to try it and find out for my self!

Nancy
Old 01-21-2011, 11:43 PM

[quote=BoJangles]

Monica,
From what I understand WD40 is only bad if you spray it where you should be oiling because it will eventually harden and gum up the machine. If you are just cleaning with it, that is fine.

The Blue Magic is suppose to not harm the decals, but since you posted this, when I get mine I am going to clean something like my little 99k first just to see what it does do. According to the guy I talked to at Auto Zone the Blue Magic did wonders to shine up his grandmother's treadle and according to http://www.grandmotherssewingmachine..._machines.html it works wonders on shinning up, cleaning up the treadles. I will have to try it and find out for my self!

Nancy
I spray into a glass container and then use a Q-tip for small spots. The larger areas, bobbin winder and back plate, I used a cotton ball. I then wipe clean numerous times and apply Singer sewing oil. I don't spray directly onto or in the machine.

Even if you clean your 99K and it works, that doesn't mean it will work on your next project. I think it depends on if the decals are protected. All of my Singers decals have been well protected. I had no problem using the GoJo or the TR3 on the Singer machines. It was my Two Spools that had the problems which I believe was due to the shellac or glaze being worn and damaged. Thanks for the link! I like her site.

So, did you get your Free machine?
Old 01-22-2011, 05:13 AM

http://www.treadleon.net/fleamarket/events.htm

No I haven't, but I think I should start attending these events. :)
There is so much to learn about these vintage machines. I would love to meet others who love to treadle. Thanks for the post!
This group sounds very interesting. Is any one here a member of Treadle On?

Nancy