Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-14-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by vintagemotif

I have a Lotus 66-1, Thistle Marie, that started me on my journey of using a treadle. I purchased two vintage machines on the same day, Singer 15-91 and Singer 66-1 in treadle. After a day of playing with the 15-91, I got brave with the treadle. Treadling takes some getting use to, but there is something peaceful about these vintage machines and they are very forgiving with us (like a sweet Grandma). Well, I fell in love with the treadles. This is a baby quilt that I pieced with my Lotus 66, Thistle Marie, and quilted with the Singer 15-91. It is a Moda pattern. Now all my piecing and quilting is done on treadles. Have fun treadling!
I LOVE that baby quilt! I have some Bliss charm squares that may want to be that, when they grow up! If those are prarie points sticking out around the border, they are the perfect little "fondlers" for baby's fingers to grab. Great quilt...

Your "Thistle Marie" looks exactly like mine! Another brown lotus! That's what I'm piecing my baby quilt with right now. I love that machine. The bobbin mechanism is just a wonder, isn't it?
You are going to love this machine. You can straight stitch quilt with her too even if you don't have a walking foot or quilter. All you need to do is mark off the distance or use masking tape. Mine loves the cheap threads and hates the more expensive ones.

Hunt for a Singer 15-89 or 90 to use in your treadle for free motion quilting. The 15s work better for the FM than the 66s. So, when I FM, I use my 15-90 in my treadle.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:23 AM

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=sewbizgirl]

So, when I FM, I use my 15-90 in my treadle.
This is just some of my FM quilting that I'm working on right now, along with decorative stitches from my daughter's Janome TB-30. Since I'm playing around with the decorative stitches as a method of quilting, I have now decided that I do want a vintage machine that has decorative stitches that I can put in treadle. But I'm also keeping a lookout for a Rocketeer.
The FM was done on my 15-90 in treadle.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-159012.jpe   attachment-159013.jpe  
Old 02-14-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Check here and see if any of these manuals will help:

http://needlebar.org/nbwiki/index.ph...achine_Company

The top tension machines are SO VERY easy to adjust!! Much easier than the more modern tensions.
Thank you Miz Johnny! This manual does help. I tried again this am to get the machine to sew and still getting a bunch of birds nests from the shuttle. I will keep trying!

Nancy
Old 02-14-2011, 10:41 AM

Monica I love the baby quilt and I love your 66 Lotus!

A question for you, though! Why try and get a 328, 319 or whatever to put in a treadle? I love my treadles, but it is also fun to use my Rocketeer for fancy stuff, afterall, the Rocketeer is 50 years old -- a vintage and it sews great! My Rocketeer came in a cabinet, which we burned - it was in bad shape. I don't have room for so many cabinets so I wanted the Rocketeer as a portable. Why don't you just keep your 66, your two spools, your Davis treadles and get a vintage you can just use as a portable for the fancy stuff? Aren't you running out of treadle room too?

Nancy
Old 02-14-2011, 10:44 AM

This is just some of my FM quilting that I'm working on right now, along with decorative stitches from my daughter's Janome TB-30. Since I'm playing around with the decorative stitches as a method of quilting, I have now decided that I do want a vintage machine that has decorative stitches that I can put in treadle. But I'm also keeping a lookout for a Rocketeer.
The FM was done on my 15-90 in treadle.
Monica, that is beautiful FM quilting! I also really like the decorative quilting stuff!

Nancy
Old 02-14-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Monica I love the baby quilt and I love your 66 Lotus!

A question for you, though! Why try and get a 328, 319 or whatever to put in a treadle? I love my treadles, but it is also fun to use my Rocketeer for fancy stuff, afterall, the Rocketeer is 50 years old -- a vintage and it sews great! My Rocketeer came in a cabinet, which we burned - it was in bad shape. I don't have room for so many cabinets so I wanted the Rocketeer as a portable. Why don't you just keep your 66, your two spools, your Davis treadles and get a vintage you can just use as a portable for the fancy stuff? Aren't you running out of treadle room too?

Nancy
I wouldn't get another treadle; you are correct there that I don't have room for another one. I was thinking of just switch the machines heads like Billy does. I do like your idea of just looking for the Rocketeer to use as the portable and for decorative stitches, or some other vintage machine with decorative stitches.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:18 AM

vintagemotif,
Your quilt is so pretty! I love using my 15-90 treadle for FMQ, it does a beautiful job.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:30 AM

VM your quilt is really pretty I like doing that design also. I love the Lotas I have one just like it but haven't been able to get to it to sew on her yet. When the weather brakes and we get the sewing studio finished I will treadle-on.:o)
Old 02-14-2011, 11:30 AM

I just bought a 99- from a local thrift store. Great shape and sew like a champ. However, does anyone know where I can get a case for it. Also what is the difference between a 99k and a 99-? Ser # AM528571 1956/57 year.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:51 AM

my grandma taught me how to sew on a treadle. Granny had a closet full of big gathered dresses that we took apart and made me bell bottomed hip huggers that my mom had a heart attack when she seen them. I see them girls running around like that these days , ( been there done that ) lol