Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-18-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Hello all. I brought home a Singer treadle last Friday and have been attempting to read all the posts. Last night I got the cleaning supplies - except for the kerosene. My question is - how do I know what new belt to buy? And a new needle? Everything moves freely, so not a lot of clean-up I hope.
All the treadle belts will fit - I think they are about 72"s to begin with. You will have to adjust it for your treadle and cut off some before you attach the ends together. Most Singer treadles all take a normal Schmetz 15 x1 needle unless it is a Singer 9W, which takes a special needle. Have fun and post a picture for all of us to see!

Nancy
Old 02-18-2011, 08:42 AM

Morning all, livestock fed, breakfast over with, now down to the nitty gritty~~~ I want to find my first treadle machine and I am thinking the 15-88 would be perfect. I want to piece, quilt and free motion quilt with it. I read on line that, "The 15 has feeddog drop and reverse and the 15-88 came with spoked hand wheel, most often treadle operated, but sometimes equipped with an original Singer motor." Does this one have adjustable foot pressure or would you use a walking foot or just a quilting foot? Does this sound like the best machine for me? Any comments? Sorry for so many questions, but I need to only make one purchase and it needs to be the right one. I can get a 66 anytime, but I don't think I would be satisfied. Love these machines!!
Linda
Old 02-18-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
DH got all the silver (what was left of the few decals) off the Redeye 66. She's shiny black, curvaceous and beautiful. I'm calling her Elvira (Halloween is my fav holiday) I think I'll find some decals just fitting for her. Just couldn't trash her and now she looks outstanding all naked (she runs smoothly too)
That is what happened to my Davis VF, Betty, she is all black and shinny for the most part! I think she looks much better that way then with a part of a decal showing!

Nancy
Old 02-18-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by FarmStitcher
Morning all, livestock fed, breakfast over with, now down to the nitty gritty~~~ I want to find my first treadle machine and I am thinking the 15-88 would be perfect. I want to piece, quilt and free motion quilt with it. I read on line that, "The 15 has feeddog drop and reverse and the 15-88 came with spoked hand wheel, most often treadle operated, but sometimes equipped with an original Singer motor." Does this one have adjustable foot pressure or would you use a walking foot or just a quilting foot? Does this sound like the best machine for me? Any comments? Sorry for so many questions, but I need to only make one purchase and it needs to be the right one. I can get a 66 anytime, but I don't think I would be satisfied. Love these machines!!
Linda
Linda, I have a 15-88 that I use for Free Motion Quilting. The 15-88 had a reverse, which is really cool. The 15-88 also does drop the feed dogs and you can get a short shank 1/4", generic type, foot for the machine. It takes a normal 15x1 Schmetz needle and is a dream to sew on! Yes, you can adjust the pressure on the foot too. The bobbin for the 15-88 is just a normal bobbin you can find anywhere.

The 15-88 is my favorite treadle and I have 9 different treadles, only one 15-88!

Nancy
Old 02-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Banned

Okay lets clarify something real quick here, it does not have to have a spoked handwheel to be in a treadle. If its round and spins and has an external motor you can take off then its treadle worthy.

Billy
Old 02-18-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by FarmStitcher
Linda
Linda, I have a 15-88 that I use for Free Motion Quilting. The 15-88 had a reverse, which is really cool. The 15-88 also does drop the feed dogs and you can get a short shank 1/4", generic type, foot for the machine. It takes a normal 15x1 Schmetz needle and is a dream to sew on! Yes, you can adjust the pressure on the foot too. The bobbin for the 15-88 is just a normal bobbin you can find anywhere.

The 15-88 is my favorite treadle and I have 9 different treadles, only one 15-88!

Nancy
Thanks, Nancy, I guess my research was good. Now I have to find one for sale! I appreciate your reply.

Linda
Old 02-18-2011, 09:14 AM

Thanks BoJangles. I don't know what it is. I keep forgetting to write down the serial number so I can look it up. Hope to have picture soon. The cabinet is of course really bad, but the machine is good.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Okay lets clarify something real quick here, it does not have to have a spoked handwheel to be in a treadle. If its round and spins and has an external motor you can take off then its treadle worthy.

Billy
Thanks so much, Billy. That's what I understood, but I do like the spoked ones best. I think it gives it character and goes with the treadle.
Linda
Old 02-18-2011, 09:28 AM

If anyone around here lives near Calgary, there is a Singer 301 on sale there for $50. There is an older Viking listed in the same ad.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ260157367
Old 02-18-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
Originally Posted by kwendt
Ahh.... and speaking of odd machines...

I ran across a Singer 328k (made in great britian). Tan in cabinet, uses cams. No accessories, books, or anything included in it. The thrift store wanted $40 for it. Should I consider getting this? It has a hidden belt drive, it looks like. The cabinet is so 50's with only a little side pull out holding almost nothing. ??? Good machine? Or no?
I have one in the Studio but I havent had time to play with it yet. So no opinion here but I have a buddy that loves his 328.

Billy
Billy, by chance would your friend only use heavier fabric with that machine? Like sewing for the bikes or the interior for the cars?
No all he does is quilt with his. I was asking him about it and he said it was one of his favorite machines and didnt care what Bill said about them. (he is on the Yahoo Singer group)

He has the US vrsion of the machine and when he found out I had the K model (which has a different look) he was jumping at the chance to get it. But I told him that it was already sold and that if I found another one I would give it to him.

Billy
Ok, With this information, I will not rule out the Singer 328k since it looks like an interesting machine that uses 15x1 needles. Thanks for this chat!