Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-20-2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I have used plain old white vinegar, soaked for a short time and rinsed & dried well. Vinegar is acidic and does take off the minor rust problems, AND it's non-toxic. I couldn't find Evaporust anywhere here.
Will apple cider vingar work? Kathie[/quote]

That is funny! I alway have apple cider vinegar around here to soak the horses hooves in! It takes care of thrush and keeps their hooves very healthy!

Nancy
Old 02-20-2011, 10:05 PM

That is funny! I alway have apple cider vinegar around here to soak the horses hooves in! It takes care of thrush and keeps their hooves very healthy!

Nancy[/quote]

Tell me more about the vingar and horses. Kathie
Old 02-21-2011, 06:56 AM

Weedwoman, that is a very impressive collection! And I like how you have them displayed. Do you always leave them uncovered, or do you have to dust often? They are all so shiny and clean, I keep mine in the "cases" so they won't get dusty. Would love to display them like you do.
Bobbie
Old 02-21-2011, 07:01 AM

Nancy
Tell me more about the vingar and horses. Kathie[/quote]

Apple Cider vinegar kills the bad bacteria that causes thrush - fungus type thing that horses get in their hooves when we have a lot of wet weather - but, it doesn't kill 'all' the bacteria as horses need some of the bacteria to keep their hooves healthy! Probably more than most of you wanted to know!

Nancy
Old 02-21-2011, 07:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
We have one set of Singer treadle irons and some drawers in our salvage so I think I'll have DH make a top and cut a hole that will fit Cleo and Elvira so I can swith them out and be able to use them both. I think we have the belly of an old cabinet too. I see another addition to the my crowded house. Any special instructions on how to cut a hole to hold a machine in place?
Its easy....... I just cut the hole that my bed would fit in the I added 2 pieces to the front and rear of the opening to hold the machine in place. I think it was 1/2" stock with several wood screws to hold in place after I glued it up real good. But I used a door blank for my treadle table. You could just make notches in the cut out to hold the machine up if your using 3/4" board stock.

Billy
Old 02-21-2011, 07:04 AM
Banned

I will do a tute today on electrolysis cleaning of your rusted parts and post this evening. All you need is a few things and it works really good.

I have a few things that need the cleaning on a customers machine that I will use this method of cleaning.

Billy
Old 02-21-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Nancy
Tell me more about the vingar and horses. Kathie
Apple Cider vinegar kills the bad bacteria that causes thrush - fungus type thing that horses get in their hooves when we have a lot of wet weather - but, it doesn't kill 'all' the bacteria as horses need some of the bacteria to keep their hooves healthy! Probably more than most of you wanted to know!

Nancy[/quote]

I've read where that treatment is good for humans to soak their feet in when they have athletes foot.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by grannysewer
Weedwoman, that is a very impressive collection! And I like how you have them displayed. Do you always leave them uncovered, or do you have to dust often? They are all so shiny and clean, I keep mine in the "cases" so they won't get dusty. Would love to display them like you do.
Bobbie
I should dust them more often but they really don't get very dusty. We don't have much traffic in our house with just the two of us and two cats (who are not allowed in MM room or sewing room) I like having the machines out of the cases because I don't like how the cases smell sometimes and if they are displayed I get to enjoy just looking at them even when I'm not using them.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

I just tried soaking my rusted machine feet in the white vinegar for 5 minutes and then rubbing a bit with some 0000 steel wool-- Worked like magic to remove the rust and polish the feet! I noticed it works better on the chrome feet than some of the other attachments that are made of some other metals.

Thank you for this suggestion!
Old 02-21-2011, 11:10 AM

Not a good day! Trying to put my 2000 Gammill longarm quilting machine back into operation. The main on/off switch broke off during shipment from NM to KS. So have to order a new one before I can proceed. Think I'll go chew nails.