Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-14-2011, 01:09 AM

I think it is just oily, dirty YUK! Does not smell smoky, just like rancid oil. I had to put it in a plastic bag and put it in the garage. And I had to pick it up with paper towels wrapped around it. I am telling you, the paper towels were black and so were my hands. This gal really, really needs a spa!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Word on the street is that Alan and a few of his faithful from the Needlebar have been lurking in our shop.

According to a few we are the village idiots and our shop has been mentioned in several topics and it was not nice. Billy
This is ridiculous... Like sewing machine mechanics is rocket science, for crying out loud.

You would think all collectors could share their common interest without site rivalry... I guess not.

I belong to both sites, but which do I read daily? This one! The friendly one!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:34 AM

I have been off the board for a few days and boy the machines everyone has gotten! Congrulations to all. I won a 301 on e bay the other day and waiting for her to come home. This one will be a sister to the one I already have. I love that 301.
About NB I was a member and was able to sign on to it maybe 2 weeks ago. Tried to sign one several times last week and it wouldn't accept my password so think since I am on this board I have been blackballed. Has anyone else had this problem in the last few weeks?
Old 03-14-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
The 1908 model 66 in my avatar is a back clamp. Sorry if that's not what you were asking, the question confused me!
Geeze, I did not realize your avator Lotus was that old! Man, that lotus looks great!

And yes, I'd expect a 1908 machine to have a back clamp! I am going to have to make a timeframe for our 66's with back clamps and side clamps. Now, with your machine I am back to wondering why Kathie's 1909 has a side clamp - I bet her machine was a special order!

Nancy
Old 03-14-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I'm wondering if your machine has been refurbished--I've never seen that decal on that early a machine. That would be the right time period for the cabinet, though. Sad that I can no longer view Needlebar's info on Singer decals. They had a great site for that.
Yes, it is sad that we can't see that wonderful information to help all of us learn!

Nancy
Old 03-14-2011, 05:41 AM

Is anyone quilting with a Kenmore 158.1914 ? I bought one a few months ago but he has not been working right. He is in the shop now as I tried everything I knew how to do & still could not get the needle bar or feed dogs to engage though the motor sounded very good & looked very good also ...... I hope he will be back & running in a couple more weeks. ..... Just wondered anyone quilting with their's? How do you like it? And did you find it helpful to purchase a walking foot for it?
Old 03-14-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Hmmmm... and which two might that be? Inquiring minds want to know.
Hmmmmm I will tell you all when I find them! I don't want someone else beating me to the punch!

Nancy
Old 03-14-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by hootnannie
I found this in Wikipedia and thought it may help someone follow the order of production.
Hootnannie, I love this chart! Thank you so much, I had never seen it!

This makes my machines fit right in - my 127 is a 1913 machine (they started in 1910), my 27 is a 1901 (they started in 1891), my 28 is an 1898 (they stated in 1891), my VS 3 that I just got is an 1889 (they started in 1887) and the VS 3 also started in 1887 - but it was a rectangular bed!

What is the link to this page? Did it go into the 66's etc.?

Nancy
Old 03-14-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by hootnannie
I found this in Wikipedia and thought it may help someone follow the order of production.
Hootnannie, I love this chart! Thank you so much, I had never seen it!

This makes my machines fit right in - my 127 is a 1913 machine (they started in 1910), my 27 is a 1901 (they started in 1891), my 28 is an 1898 (they stated in 1891), my VS 3 that I just got is an 1889 (they started in 1887) and the VS 3 also started in 1887 - but it was a rectangular bed!

What is the link to this page? Did it go into the 66's etc.?

Nancy
I would love to see the complete history of Singer machines up to the more modern ones. Just vintage machines.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Well, I got my first fiddle base this morning. I will post pictures later, my DH has the camera!

I paid $65 for the whole thing - it is missing the coffin top.

Nancy
Nancy....there is a coffin top for sale on eBay for only 19.99. It only has one day left and there haven't been any bidders. Not sure if you would be interested but you can look at it here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Singer-T...#ht_500wt_1156
Cabbagepatch, I went back and looked again at the coffin top on e-bay. It is not the right one for my treadle - I don't think anyway! That coffin top has a basket weave like look to it and my Bessie treadle pictured here on page 794 has a straight line grid. I really appreciate the thought, though!

Nancy