Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplefiend
qltndog,
You don't need to take the motor off. Don't try to take the
bed off, just flip it up. Brush all the lint out of the bobbin area and bobbin case.
I service Featherweights. I use a toothbrush,sewing machine oil,
chennile craft sticks(aka:giant pipe cleaners), bamboo skewer, blue shop towels and strips of bridal netting type stuff. I remove the hand wheel and belt, so I can clean and oil the shaft that the handwheel goes on. Singer lube goes in the motor tubes, oil goes in oil holes in the machine, & anywhere else the manual says to. 1 drop of oil in the bobbin case base @ the 4 o'clock position. I change the motor belt and the rubber feet on the bottom of the machine, remove the screws and they will come off. Sometimes you need to dig the bed cushions out as they have melted. The plate under the spool pin can be moved to the side and you need to take the bamboo skewer and clean off all the old grease on the gears and then put new Singer lube on them.
Take off the throat plate and clean under there, make sure the finger of the bobbin case base goes back in between the throat plate springs when you put the plate back on. Take the bottom plate off and clean all the lint & gunk off, oil where needed and grease the gears on the
bottom.
Use the bamboo skewer to clean the bottom gears, just like you did under the spool pin.
The needle flat goes to the left(NFL) and threads right to left.
Sharon W.
Tender Loving 221 FW Care
Thanks, Sharon. I have one to clean, as well!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:20 PM

Not 100% sure with vintage machines but I know with current model machines that the foot pedal attracts dust/fluff/etc and this will cause the machine to continue running. I guess it wouldn't hurt to take the cover off the foot pedal and clean inside to see if that helps? Couldn't hurt, I suppose as long as it's disconnected from the power so you don't get fried!!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:22 PM

Looks OK...I've love a treadle with coffin top. Could die happy then, but not holding my breath!!

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
I am waiting for a response concerning this machine for more pictures.

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/atq/2274883842.html
Old 03-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Is there any way you can post a picture of the plug part on the machine? I have a 15 clone that is odd like that, 3 plug-in blade slots in sort of an arc. Let us see what it looks like and maybe someone will have a helper piece. I agree about the 15 bobbin case. If you have access to another 15 you can test it out and see if a regular one will work. Good luck.

Melinda

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I went back to look at the Japanese cloned 15 (the badged Sears Kenmore)today, money in hand, ready to buy. I had made my decision to get it, but sadly found it did NOT have it's cord or it's bobbin case. The person I talked to said it was her sister's, and she took my phone # so her sister could call me. I am hoping and praying she can find that cord and the bobbin case at her house, as both are very specific to this machine and it's dead in the water without them. WHAT A BUMMER...
I don't have the machine so I can't take a picture, but your description sounds exactly like it. The plug is on top of the motor, too, not on the right side like most all Singers.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by ssgramma
Help Please!

My 201-2 was sewing nicely until I just broke the needle. Now the handwheel is not working. Inner (is that the boss?) spins freely and makes the needle go up and down, outer portion moves the needle only a portion of the way. That is all by hand. Foot pedal just makes the wheel spin but needle is not going.

Does it not like either of the 2 new needles I just tried or is it something entirely different?

I haven't a clue and gave up to come here.
You may have part of the needle stuck in the bobbin case.
The needle flat goes to the left and threads from right to left.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:54 PM

[quote sewbizgirl]
Thanks, Sharon. I have one to clean, as well![/quote]

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Sharon
Old 03-24-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Phone call #2 - A Singer treadle from the 1930s. The owner says it says Leader on it. "Does it work?"

10 minutes later - the pictures arrived. It has the tension on the top, which is a minus to me, but the cabinet and machine look to be in good condition, though I wonder why the top isn't down in the pics. Internet: Leader machines were made by the A G Mason company from 1870-1899. Interesting - worth a roadtrip? I haven't heard from the third one, but a $25 machine may be too much of a project for me. How does the top tension thread?
How does the top tension thread? Easily once you have the directions. I have an Alvah very much like this. This one looks MUCH better than mine too. Mine was up and running (after sitting in an attic then basement for 20+ yrs.) after a clean up of the front section works, feed dogs, and a good oiling. If this were near me, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat. My treadle sews a straighter stitch than my New Home 6000.

If you are interested in more info. Send me a PM. I wish you success.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:55 PM

I can't find a part number on it but here is what mine looks like. I had to unscrew it and rewire it when I got it; the old one was a bit frazzled for my liking.

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Is there any way you can post a picture of the plug part on the machine? I have a 15 clone that is odd like that, 3 plug-in blade slots in sort of an arc. Let us see what it looks like and maybe someone will have a helper piece. I agree about the 15 bobbin case. If you have access to another 15 you can test it out and see if a regular one will work. Good luck.

Melinda

I went back to look at the Japanese cloned 15 (the badged Sears Kenmore)today, money in hand, ready to buy. I had made my decision to get it, but sadly found it did NOT have it's cord or it's bobbin case. The person I talked to said it was her sister's, and she took my phone # so her sister could call me. I am hoping and praying she can find that cord and the bobbin case at her house, as both are very specific to this machine and it's dead in the water without them. WHAT A BUMMER...
I don't have the machine so I can't take a picture, but your description sounds exactly like it. The plug is on top of the motor, too, not on the right side like most all Singers.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-174458.jpe   attachment-174459.jpe  
Old 03-24-2011, 05:11 PM

Billy, I am so happy you started the shop. I have enjoyed this evening so much. I have learned so much about all types of machines today. After reading all the posts, now I want a treadle too. Have not used one since I was a teenager. Taking this opportunity to thank all who post such good info and ideas.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:39 PM

What a neat thread! My husband and I love to collect antique machines too...treadles and hand cranks. We're up to 16 and almost out of room in the house. :)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-174474.jpe   attachment-174475.jpe   attachment-174476.jpe