Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-03-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by amyjo
Hi, I just got DH to open the closet door (stuck) so I could dig out this machine. I have looked in different places and contacted Singer. It has a plate on the front under the reverse that says AL850005 the little plate above it says 15-. Underneath it has stamped into the bed the words MADE IN USA, a large # 8, and these numbers 125255 also made by SIMANCO. I am sending some pics for you to look at.
Amyjo, you have a Singer Model 15, allotted on October 15, 1954. That is a very nice machine. The 15 drops its feed dogs for free motion quilting, has reverse, and a stitch regulator. That machine will out last you, your kids, and grandkids! Simanco, just means Singer Manufacturing Company. You should clean that machine up and use it - the 15 is a very desirable machine to own.

Nancy
Old 04-03-2011, 07:37 PM

thanks a bunch for helping to enlighten me. I have a manual that I got from the other lady who bought one at the same sale and hers had a book. I also downloaded a free one from the Singer co.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Remember this cabinet, it came black and looking like crap? We used a bunch of cans of stripper to get all three coats of black paint off -- and it had a coat of primer, DH did some sand blasting of the treadle irons, lots of elbow grease (mostly my DH's since he decided I was too slow at it), a little staining and finishing and look what my late 1800's Wilcox and Gibbs gets back! His original cabinet!!!!!!!!!!!Yippppeeeeeeeee!

Nancy
That is absolutely beautiful!!!!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
It is hard work but you and your hubby showed that if you can do it anyone can. Glenn
Glenn, boy is that the truth -- if we could do it any of you can do it too! HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE

Now, if I can only get DH to help me re-do the veneer on my Davis Vertical Feed from 1886, my Singer VS 2 from 1889, and my 1913 Singer Sphinx cabinet! Glenn any secrets we need to know? We already got the veneer.

Nancy

Oh and thank you guys again on your compliments on the cabinet. I read them to Hubby!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:32 PM

My new 301 :) . I paid $160 for it in the stand. It has 3 feet, the buttonholer, and an original manual that is in usable condition. And my husband put 2 new cords on her. The decals are worn,and I may have paid to much, but seems like the prices are not very cheap in this area. I did talk her down from $200.

The cabinet is decent looking but it could use a refinish. I have already ordered a tube of grease because I can't find any locally. None at Walmart or Joann's. I think greasing it (have oiled it plenty!) will get rid of that last little bit of "white noise" and I will get that beautiful HUM that I know I should have :) Also ordered a 1/4" foot, darning foot, bobbin winder tire, and a thread cutter.

I saw on ebay a little piece of glass listed for this machine. Am I supposed to have this for the light and does it go in the little black clip under the lampshade?

I have the tension almost perfect. I'm sewing quilt blocks with it, but it could be better.

All in all I am pretty darned smitten :mrgreen:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-179378.jpe   attachment-179379.jpe  
Old 04-03-2011, 09:32 PM

Sorry, double post. I've seen a lot of that since the "updates" to the website....lol
Old 04-03-2011, 11:14 PM

[quote=jtapp9]My new 301 :) . I paid $160 for it in the stand. It has 3 feet, the buttonholer, and an original manual that is in usable condition. And my husband put 2 new cords on her. The decals are worn,and I may have paid to much, but seems like the prices are not very cheap in this area. I did talk her down from $200.

The cabinet is decent looking but it could use a refinish. I have already ordered a tube of grease because I can't find any locally. None at Walmart or Joann's. I think greasing it (have oiled it plenty!) will get rid of that last little bit of "white noise" and I will get that beautiful HUM that I know I should have :) Also ordered a 1/4" foot, darning foot, bobbin winder tire, and a thread cutter.

I saw on ebay a little piece of glass listed for this machine. Am I supposed to have this for the light and does it go in the little black clip under the lampshade?

I have the tension almost perfect. I'm sewing quilt blocks with it, but it could be better.

All in all I am pretty darned smitten :mrgreen:[/q

Very nice looking machine and cabinet. Kathie
Old 04-04-2011, 12:53 AM

This is my newest! Isn't she a doll? And best yet, she has all of her attachments!
Tammy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-179402.jpe  
Old 04-04-2011, 02:40 AM

Can any one remember which page the green grass hopper machine was on
Thank you in anticipation
Elsie Blight
ps l saw one in a shop with no price it looked very interesting
l found at last my 222k and brought her home today

My friend Mary brought this for me at the weekend
[ATTACH=CONFIG]179448[/ATTACH]

l brought this home and told my husband l had bought another machine l had it behind my back as a joke
[ATTACH=CONFIG]179452[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-179440.jpe   attachment-179441.jpe   attachment-179442.jpe   attachment-179446.jpe  
Old 04-04-2011, 04:44 AM

Jtapp99, Very nice 301. You should be smitten, that is a great machine. The price you paid is pretty normal - those 301's are going up as people realize what they are. I don't have one of those! But just think, you could of bought a modern plastic sewing machine for $160 and it would have been a piece of junk in a few years where that 301 will last and last and last. We are all making it so hard on the sewing machine manufacturers -- to get a really good modern machine you have to pay several hundred, and they will never last as long as these vintage machines have lasted and will last still!

Amyjo, love the quilt in your Avatar!

Tammy, very cute little white FW. What year is it? I have two white FW's - both 1964.

Nancy